Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

The Great One

suite clean?
« on: July 27, 2004, 04:36:34 pm »
Hi Guys

been asked to clean a suite with a 3 seater sofa, 2 seater, a chair and a square footrest (poof)

They want it cleaned to sell it. I want to hand clean it as it isn't too dirty with shampoo and terry towels. I haven't done many suites, so would like to ask for any help you may want to give.

Many thanks

Martin 8)

Doug Holloway

Re: suite clean?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 06:32:40 pm »
Martin,

A few more details needed like what is the fabric and do you have a HWE machine?

Cheers,

Doug

Phil Marlor

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 07:24:50 pm »
Martin,

Use a Microsplitter, its safe and dose a good job on all suites.

Phil.
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 09:28:13 pm »
Microsplitter and Bonnet mitt will give effective light clean without risk  ;D

The Great One

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 11:03:56 pm »
Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice.

I do not have a HWE so hence the hand clean. I have not tried microsplitters, have the shampoo but don't really want to wet too much.

They are selling it anyway, what price would you recommend?

Regards

Martin 8)

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 11:31:45 pm »
Hi Martin

The fact they are selling it should have no reflection on your professionalism or the quality of the work you produce. So you should be charging your normal rate. If it is your professional judgement that a low moisture/quick drying system will achieve the desired results and customer satisfaction, then proceed with it.

Presuming you don't have any microsplitting formulae to hand, you could prepare some shampoo, or Bonnet Buff (quicker drying) or Fabric Restorer etc. in a spray bottle, spray on and towel off as you have already suggested. I would not recommend this process with a product that is not designated as being suitable for upholstery cleaning. Wear protective gloves and maybe a mask too, even more important if spraying a solution containing solvents (like Prochem Fabric Restorer). It will also be a convenient way of keeping people out of the room so they don't see how easy you make the job look ;)  If you decide to prepare your solution in a bucket and dunk your towel/pad, wring out and use, then it is very easy to place a "wet" hand on the suite whilst you are working. This could cause a water mark, so keep a dry towel in the "idle" hand to prevent this happening.

A ploy that I have come across in the past is a customer saying they  want a suite "freshened up just to sell it" in the hope that you will take pity and offer them a lower price. No way Jose.

Safe and happy cleaning:)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

paul@ctcs

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 11:39:17 pm »
Chris,
With regard to micro splitters on upholstrery and no risk of causing damage.
If the ph neutral solutions number 4 is sparingly misted onto the upholstery and a bonnet method with terry towels is used i imagine this method is unlikely to cause many adverse affects on a majority of materials, but are there any materials where even this cautious approach is not suitable ?

Thanks Paul :)

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 11:41:33 pm »
Martin

You haven’t got a hwe machine? And advertise cc and wcv love to know what method you use on carpets perhaps it the method ken describes on this thread

Selling not interest what they do with it I charge £30 per seat so two seater and I mean two seater £60

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

The Great One

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 12:58:14 am »
Hi

len, just because i don't use HWE doesn't mean I cannot clean carpets, or am crap, or a cowboy etc etc.

There seems to be a trend which has lasted for 30+ years that only HWE is good enough. There are different systems that can do as good and sometimes better job (in my opinion and limited experience) with the system i use i am getting amazing results and my clients are happy (no it isn't fairy liquid or stardrops, and no i am not jasonb ;D)

I was waiting for some comment just because i don't use HWE, didn't have to wait long!

Ken

Thanks for your expert advice it is well appreciated.

Regards

Martin 8)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 01:05:47 am »
Do you use dry fusion or some type of bonnet system for carpets, is that why you hand clean upholstery?

Shaun

Len Gribble

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 02:22:55 am »
Martin

Dangle a carrot and one bites, haven’t got a hwe system, isn’t this the first bit of equipment one buys in setting up, then one progresses on to other methods though on a maintenance level, but one still keeps it, all I asked what cc method do you use, hopefully it’s not wcv great on cars and boats on soft furnishings a very big question mark.

Where did I say hse is the bee’s knees, but it provided the deepest clean depending on equipment/operator?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

The Great One

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 03:25:15 am »
It is a shame that people have to take this kind of tact, trying to put other people down

haven't got a hwe system, isn't this the first bit of equipment one buys in setting up, then one progresses on to other methods though on a maintenance level, but one still keeps it, all I asked what cc method do you use, hopefully it's not wcv great on cars and boats on soft furnishings a very big question mark.

It's odd your statement about using waterless car valeting on soft furnishings, is this to try and make me out to be stupid maybe, a vapid staement, you only degrade yourself with personal attacks on other people.

My personal view is that after my carpet course i did not want an HWE system, i wanted to be different and the system i use as far as i am concerned is excellent. I didn't want to be a sheep and follow the crowd.

I asked a simple question about cleaning a suite and now I have to defend myself...

Is the Cleaning Industry in trouble?

If the personal attacks and some posts are concerned then yes, it is, shame.

If you use a HWE system then great, as long as you and your customers are happy with the result and you are earning money, i wish you all the very best.

Me, I don't use HWE, I am happy with my system and so are my clients.

Regards

Martin 8)

Dynafoam

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 03:37:23 am »
Martin,

Knowing Len, I think that you may have misinterpreted his comments.

I very much doubt that he intended a personal attack of any sort.

Whilst I share his view that, overall, HWE has the potential to be the most thorough cleaning method, I accept that other methods have their virtues and after all, your choice of equipment is just that - your free personal choice.

John.

Derek

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 10:14:10 am »
Hi

Len did make a generalised statement but he may have forgotten (I almost said in his old age ;) ) that one of the National franchises started out, bigtime, offering a hand cleaning service for carpets and upholstery.

In this day and age it is perhaps not quite correct to generalise although we all tend to do it at times..
if the truth be known we all of us use 'all' the methods of cleaning available to us at some point in our business life....it's called being professional.

Derek

The Great One

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 02:45:27 pm »
Thanks for your comments gents and I totally agree, each to his own.

On another thread on the cleaning section I stated that I do a lot of work for letting agents and do not want to lug a steameasy pro up 6 flights os steps.

I thank you for your support.

Regards

Martin 8)

Dave_Lee

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2004, 09:44:36 pm »
Martin,
Come on, tell us what type of method you use on the letting agents carpets - why the secrecy, if your clients are happy with your work then thats fine. The thing about HWE is that its a fact that the system does give the most thorough result. However if a purely cosmetic clean appearance is sufficient then any method that achieves this, is good enough. Go on tell more about your method.
Incidently I first started out 25 years ago, hand cleaning both carpets and suites  (the knees wouldnt take it now) after gaining some info from a 'Safeclean' franchisee. I used to get some good comments and reccomendations too. With the knowledge Ive gained through experience, I now know that what I was achieving then, was purely a  cosmetic, though acceptable  appearance.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2004, 10:19:42 pm »
Hi Martin,

I see that you’re from Brighton. I’m at Amtech UK’s (One Step ‘Micro-splitting’ cleaning solutions) sales and training facility in Burgess Hill tomorrow, and would be more than happy to show you how to get the best results when hand cleaning upholstery.

Also, how One Step can be utilised to assist in the cleaning process.

If you can spare the time then please call me on Tel: 0845 130 4755

Regards

Steve

The Great One

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2004, 01:55:22 am »
Hi guys

I would prefer not to say my system as I really don't want the competition. It would also start a huge debate for which i am not really in the mood to have to keep defending myself and the system i solely use and believe in on a constant basis.

It does a really deep clean and we have had some amazing results. Did one carpet that had been done by HWE 12 years ago, they had split the carpet and left a huge black patch in the carpet. The entire carpet (200m) took me 4 hours non-stop and the black patch (2m by 1m) no longer exists.

One very happy client.

Regards

Martin 8)

Len Gribble

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2004, 01:05:24 am »
Martin

I’m now a convert in your cleaning system as it dose a really deep clean compared to a HSE done 12 years ago, customer satisfaction is paramount to me. Who do I need to contact to go on there cc course?

Len

Dave Parry

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2004, 01:26:53 am »
Careful Len, you'll be enrolling for bad lads army next, they go back in time too.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

Len Gribble

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2004, 01:57:47 am »
Dave

I will in roll into anything as long as it makes money for the wife to spend.

Len

jacko

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2004, 02:13:06 am »
Evening guys!

An interesting thread

I have the same system as Martin and must say that I have achieved exceptionally amazing results within my domestic clientele. I have several testimonials from some very delighted customers. Some were going to throw their carpets away!

I have however recently invested in a Steempro HWE machine to enable me to offer a wider range of services to my domestic market. Both systems have their place and in certain environments one system might be quicker than the other. But there is no doubt that the non HWE system does deep clean!

Sorry guys I’m not going to let on what the system is as I know Martin (Martin remember lunch at the Marina?)

The system that Martin employs is totally compatible with his targeted market place and is working well for him. To my knowledge Martin does not even need to advertise.

Cheers Guys!

adl

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2004, 02:26:32 am »
Hi Martin
Is your system the same as jasons new one? i heard his latest is to power wash carpets at 3000psi and then dry them behind the engines of concord, all this and only a tenner a room ;D ;D ;D

The Great One

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2004, 01:53:34 am »
Hi Jacko

How are you mate? good to see you on here, mind you don't tread in any bulls..t, there seems to a lot of it about, especially on this thread ;)

hope business is going well for you.Keep in touch, let me know how things are going.

We are opening our waterless car valeting tomorrow (saturday 31st) we were training today but did some for customers and had to turn people away we were so busy :D

Jacko's quite right i do not advertise, this is not meant to boast or anything it is just the truth. To state the system i use as stated before would have people arguing for ever and a day, and lets face it we all have better things to be doing.

Len

I think you have already rolled in something mate ;D

Take care gents (yes even you len)

Regards

Martin 8)

Doug Holloway

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2004, 10:37:50 am »
Hi Martin,

The trouble with this thread is you start by asking for help with an area you are less familiar with, BUT when someone asks you a question about a system you are familiar with , you become all coy.

These boards work best where we all share information.

Cheers,

Doug

Martin S

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2004, 10:42:59 am »
Well said
Martin

Dynafoam

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2004, 02:59:17 pm »
Spot on Doug  ;)

Mark Betts

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2004, 07:58:17 pm »
My Guess is

OP

;D ;D

Mark
A Dog Isnt Just For Christmas.........  Save a Bit For Boxing Day  !!!!!

Mark_Jubb

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2004, 11:15:59 pm »
Mark

May seem a stupid question to some, but as they say "if you don't know, just ask", so here goes, what's OP?

Regards
Mark
If there isn't enough time to do the job right,  how do we find the time to go back and do it again when the customer is not happy ?   Do it right the 1st Time.
NCCA Member 1399.  Swindon, Wiltshire

Glynn

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2004, 11:20:38 pm »
Oscillating  (or Orbital) Padding
Regards
Glynn

Len Gribble

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2004, 12:09:14 am »
Martin

No need to bite at your last comment, as one only has to read what you have said on this thread.

1.      I do not have a HWE so hence the hand clean
2.      On another thread on the cleaning section I stated that I do a lot of work for letting agents and do not want to lug a steameasy pro up 6 flights os steps.

Bit Tommy Copperish now you see it now you don’t!

Anyway hope today went well with you new venture.

Mark not so stupid, bit of a hand full when your not use too it keeps going to the right, will admit not my cup of tea.

Len

Mark Betts

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2004, 12:49:54 am »
Mark

No not stupid qustion.

Glynn bang on.

Gotta be or Encapsulation or mop an bucket hehehe

Mark

Mark_Jubb

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2004, 12:54:21 am »
Mark & Glyn,
Thanks for that, learnt something new again today.
Cheers
Mark
If there isn't enough time to do the job right,  how do we find the time to go back and do it again when the customer is not happy ?   Do it right the 1st Time.
NCCA Member 1399.  Swindon, Wiltshire

Len Gribble

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2004, 01:04:03 am »
Mark

Please elaborate on mop and bucket system I was wondering if it’s the same I saw at Detling show a few weeks a go they were selling it as deep clean system, wife a bit annoyed started to hand out leaflets so were the comedians sell it.

Len

Mark Betts

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2004, 03:08:35 am »
Len

Sorry forgot, vital accessory to mop and bucket.

KNEE PADS !!!!!  

Not to protect my knees but to stop all the dye coming off my trousers onto carpet due to suds  ;D ;D

Mark

The Great One

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2004, 01:03:28 pm »
Hi

Ok, Ok

It is actually 3 parts water
2 parts sugar and
1 part cow juice

Stirred not shaken

Just my cup of tea!

Martin 8)