This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

DavidX

[dont tell me to go up on the ladder]
« on: January 25, 2007, 02:37:06 pm »
Hi everyone

I am hoping someone might be able to help me out here.

I got a 24ft Pro Pole which I use the Window Washers & Squeegee's on the end of the pole.

I have not used it for a while now since I got myself wfp, I would like to go back trad window cleaning for some of the houses I do clean.

The only thing is holding me back is I need my scrim.  My 24ft pro pole is not able to dry off the soapy water from the windows frame, still & all round the edge of the windows.

Can someone come up with somthing?

Dave
 ???

Grafters Cleaning Services

Re: [dont tell me to go up on the ladder]
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 03:07:17 pm »
 ??? what do you need a scrim for, when you have wfp,
why do you wanna go back to trad  ???
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

pjulk

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 03:15:30 pm »
You need a fixiclamp to hold your scrim most window cleaning suppliers sell them.

Why on earth would you want to go back to traditional.

I take it you are having problems with WFP

Paul

007 or what

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 03:18:16 pm »
where are you located?

i wish people would put it on there profile!!!!

DavidX

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 03:26:31 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I think wfp is great but I miss trad window cleaning. The only thing I don't miss is going up on the ladder.

Anyway some of the houses I clean trad is quicker than using wfp. I rather save water for houses that I can't do the trad way.

DavidX

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 03:27:46 pm »
I from Sw london 007

Fast 1 *

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 03:37:33 pm »
Hi everyone

I am hoping someone might be able to help me out here.

I got a 24ft Pro Pole which I use the Window Washers & Squeegee's on the end of the pole.

I have not used it for a while now since I got myself wfp, I would like to go back trad window cleaning for some of the houses I do clean.

The only thing is holding me back is I need my scrim.  My 24ft pro pole is not able to dry off the soapy water from the windows frame, still & all round the edge of the windows.

Can someone come up with somthing?

Dave
 ???
go up the ladder ;D
wildstyles

macc

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 03:46:31 pm »
Why go back to trad,  ???.

Ive some that would be quicker trad but i still wfp them. Say you come off the ladders on one of the few you do trad, it wont be quicker then, my safety comes first,  ;D.

Macc

S.A.J

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 03:47:15 pm »
Why dont you wfp the upstairs windows and trad the bottom windows that way you get to do the tard you miss so much with out going up a ladder.

Stuart
SAJ Window Cleaners Ltd

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 05:49:27 pm »
David,

How experienced are you with the WFP? 

It took me several months to gain the confidence to be quick; sometimes ultra quick; with it on a window.  I used to scrub and rinse for ages; and it wasn't until I did what I thought was a quick and shoddy job on my own house (to keep Wor Lass quiet) that I realised I was really overdoing it with the WFP on my customer's houses.

seanmcshane

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 06:10:25 pm »
if your quicker than WFP using a pole from the ground to mop and squeegee then bring it down, replace with a fixi clamp and scrim and extend to detail the window, then you are doing something wrong with the WFP ???

DavidX

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 06:21:46 pm »
Well Tosh I have use wpf for about 4 month now and I do scrub & rinse for ages because I have been told by some of the guys in here that you have to rinse alot. I not sure how long you should scrub & rinse. Also I do trad ground floor to save water anyway But I not had anyone moan about my work so far, alway got paid.

But having said that when I got my wfp for the first time and clean my windows real quick. It had load of spot.

I think that why I scrub & rinse for ages because I worry it will come out in spot also you can't really see that high up if you done a good job or not.

If you can give me some tips then that be great.

DavidX

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 06:33:05 pm »
seanmcshane I not doing somthing wrong. well i think i not.  But if you read what i said. I enjoy cleaning trad and feel that some houses I Clean is better off cleaing the trad way AND i rather save water for bigger houses for wfp.

I just wonder how you could dry the windows with the pole with the scrim which Paul Griffin point out that i need fixiclamp.  By the way thanks paul.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 07:37:58 pm »
David,
To begin with you will be slow with WFP, you will also leave spots...its the learning curve..it goes with the territory I'm afraid :-\

If you want an idea as to how long it should take you to clean..say, a normal size 3 bed semi, with perhaps 10 or 12 windows, well it should take you somewhere around 10 minutes from start to finish (pulling up to driving away)

You'll need a fairly high flow rate, but it also takes quite a bit of experience to work efficiently with a high flow rate, you have to work fast or you'll be wasting water.

Concentrate on the top edges.

for instance; I have always washed the frames as well (wherever and whenever possible) so for me the top edge includes the top of the frame.
If the windows are dirty then the top edge of the frame is too (even if it looks really clean) so I always wash the top from side to side quite quickly but also thoroughly, then kind of wedge the bristles of the brush up into the top of the pane of glass where it meets the frame and once more it is quickly scrubbed from side to side before working down onto the glass.
I don't waste time rinsing on the glass, put rather ease up on the pressure on the brush so that the bristles are just resting against the glass.

It takes practice and confidance to get fast, but work at it and you'll get there.

It will take you an enormous amount of practice to become proficient with a pole and squeegee on upstairs windows too, to do it properly takes a high degree of skill.
And so far I've yet to find a decent scrim clamp! Well, ok, the only scrim clamp I've used is the Unger one, and it is pants.
An expensive piece of plastic...crap!

As you are already WFP, and you also have no intention of climbing the ladder to clean windows, as has already been said, WFP the tops and trad the bottoms.
If the windows aren't really suitable for WFP, tell the customer that they'll have to put up with the tops not coming up to scratch (you sure as hell won't do a better job with a pole and squeegee anyway) and tell the customer that you will do the lower windows the traditional way.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Pj

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 08:41:33 pm »
David,
To begin with you will be slow with WFP, you will also leave spots...its the learning curve..it goes with the territory I'm afraid :-\

If you want an idea as to how long it should take you to clean..say, a normal size 3 bed semi, with perhaps 10 or 12 windows, well it should take you somewhere around 10 minutes from start to finish (pulling up to driving away)

You'll need a fairly high flow rate, but it also takes quite a bit of experience to work efficiently with a high flow rate, you have to work fast or you'll be wasting water.

Concentrate on the top edges.

for instance; I have always washed the frames as well (wherever and whenever possible) so for me the top edge includes the top of the frame.
If the windows are dirty then the top edge of the frame is too (even if it looks really clean) so I always wash the top from side to side quite quickly but also thoroughly, then kind of wedge the bristles of the brush up into the top of the pane of glass where it meets the frame and once more it is quickly scrubbed from side to side before working down onto the glass.
I don't waste time rinsing on the glass, put rather ease up on the pressure on the brush so that the bristles are just resting against the glass.

It takes practice and confidance to get fast, but work at it and you'll get there.

Ian

Best description of how to clean a window properly with wfp I have read for a long time.  I couldn't put it any better.  It has taken me almost a year and a half to reach that level.  Carefully follow Ian's advice there.  Practice practice practice.

And don't forget......

rinse rinse rinse ;)

DavidX

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 10:07:08 pm »

[1] I have always washed the frames as well (wherever and whenever possible) so for me the top edge includes the top of the frame.

[2] I don't waste time rinsing on the glass, put rather ease up on the pressure on the brush so that the bristles are just resting against the glass.

Cheers Ian

[1] From now on I shall alway clean the top of the frames.
It make alot of sense. Before when I get new work I alway clean the frames for the first time then miss it for next 2 or 3 clean till it get really dirty again.

[2] I will try try do it your way on my windows and see what the outcome. Hopefully it won't come out in spot. Because when I rinse the window it leave big wet drip on the window which I am sure big drip leave spot.

Once again Ian Thanks 

Pj

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 10:42:20 pm »
It seem David has turned immigrant speak!

"Big drip leave spot" ;D

I soory