Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian Gourlay

What Price is Half Price
« on: July 22, 2004, 03:33:23 pm »
Jason I think his name is has stired some of us up with his tails of his carpet cleaning operation which actually puts him in the top 10%of earners in the UK.

However although I dont seem to get them delivered to my house the Cut price operators appear to be charging the same price they did 10 years ago.

Where do they get their half price figure from?

What is the basis.

Have they ever charged anyone the full price?

If not is that not a Trading Standards Offence.

Mike Halliday

Re: What Price is Half Price
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 04:18:15 pm »
it depends if they are saying half thier price or half your price ;)

a store that says half price has to have sold the item for at least 28 days prior to the sale.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

jasonb

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 07:10:55 pm »
The simple answer to this is that that the half price offer only applies if you are able to produce the leaflet that details it. Sort of like a discount voucher. But of course you tell the customer that now they have used you once they will always get half price, as will anyone they recommend.

No leaflet = no half price, that's how I get around it.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 08:24:05 pm »
Interesting. Jason, but if they phone you up they will have the leaflet.

jasonb

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 08:34:31 pm »
Interesting. Jason, but if they phone you up they will have the leaflet.

:)

Dave_Lee

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 12:19:14 am »
A client gave me a leaflet that was delivered with the local free paper last week. The usual stuff, low prices, half price, conditioning etc and as usual a distant company - 40 miles in this case. This company was using the same trading name as mine, which I have used for 25 years. A few other cllients have phoned me asking if it was us and had I dropped prices - so obvious confusion. I phones this company up today to ask for the name and address of the owner which they were reluctant to supply until I pointed out that as the leaflet did not display this information it was in fact an illegal document. I informed them that if they circulate any material within my town area again without making it obvious that they were not the same company as ours they would be receiving a letter from our solicitors.
Dave.

Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Len Gribble

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 12:36:47 am »
Dave

A new one on me one has to supply an owners name and address on leaflets. You have to supply trading address for yellow pages but owner’s name ???

Regarding name are you a sole trader, ltd or plc.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Dave_Lee

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 01:03:05 am »
Len,
When I started up in1980, I had to register my trading name with the registar of business names as I was using a name different to my own name. When the register was abolished some years later, I was sent sent information regarding the changes. One of these changes was that all business forms and documents issued or sent to other parties including the public, must contain the name and address of the business owner in order that they can be identified. If the owner is a limited company then the companies name and registered office should be present.
(Unless of course it has changed since.)
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 01:12:03 am »
When Dave started he cleaned Dinosaur hide as well  ;D

How are you mi ol mucker, you're not going to give us a lesson on what you could get for a 'tanner' are you?

Shaun

Ps How much is it for carpet cleaning? very small room, you do me good deal, me pay you cash... init.

adl

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 01:13:41 am »
This is only the case when you are a limited company where you must print the name and registered office address of the company on all leaflets bills letterheads etc

Dave_Lee

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 01:27:09 am »
Len & Dave,
Having checked, regarding sole traders the full information now only has to be displayed on, invoices, receipts, demands for payment and business letters. The name and address of the business owner must also be conveyed immediately on the request of anyone the company is doing business with.
So, my hands are up I was wrong about leaflets unless of course, they are, a limited company?
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 01:35:47 am »
Shaun,
43 pence per square foot to you, but only if you pre vac, dont get in the way, tell me what a great job Ive done before I start, pay for TM fuel separately and keep the tea and buscuits coming.
Actually that busy, the usual story - no time to market.
Also I think time for a price rise (Ill catch up with you one day).
Dave.
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.

Phil Marlor

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 05:56:33 pm »
With regards to the original question, there is no such thing as half price.

Its made up, it was never the original price, its a con to try and make the customer think they are getting a bargain.

One company who has a line advert in my local paper has the heading half price C.C. for the next 2 weeks. This advert has been running for 3 years now ???

Its the same with all the retail stores, 40% off this 50% of that, it just isn't possible to run a business with these massive offers, most companies dont even run on a Gross Profit Margin of 50%, so how can they offer that much.

Phil

Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

Jasonc

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2004, 03:13:37 am »
What is even more fun than your own half price offers is to take out an advert in your local paper for a 75% discount (upon producing the voucher after completion of the work,) but of course the details you give are that of your local main rival.

JasonB told me that one, it works a treat.