Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

vangaurd

Re: Web site, almost.
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 10:49:15 am »
try the 60 second, otherwise it bores people
i should know as i used to train people in management!
that meant, get your message across to the , customer in 60 seconds
hope this helps!

Liahona

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 11:09:23 am »
Vanguard, I understand what you mean. In defence of the way it is written, and again who knows I might be shooting myself in the foot, it is designed for specific people to go to to see lots of info not your eveyday Tom Dick or Harry as is the norm. The Tom, Dick and Harrys shouldnt be able to find the site in the first place. The 60 seconds is covered by my clients who send their clients to the site so is already taken care of. Again, who knows how it will be taken by those who do visit. Does the site within 60 seconds, bearing in mind the front page isnt done yet, come across that at least I am either a little bit different or hopfully after high end clients and or that I might be a little bit more expensive? If yes to any of those then it has worked. If not I am going to have a sore foot, best, Dave.

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 11:57:21 am »

The 60 second thing is a bit of a nonsense when you think about it.

I can be bored in 5 seconds if I'm not interested in what I'm reading.

There is a  secret  to how you can have someone read the whole of your copy.

Can you remember a time when you were reading a book and really got into it. You were totally focused and engaged in the story. Later you realise hours have flown by in what seemed like no time at all.

The aim of the site is mainly information, not to get attention, and not really to sell, would you agree Dave? So the main thing is to think from the viewpoint of who's reading it and for what purpose.

How do those stupid soaps keep people coming back to watch them, what always happens at the end of East Enders when you hear the dum, dum, dum.

Off out now but I can go into more detail later.   ;)

vangaurd

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 02:29:33 pm »
contact inbiz and speak to there marketing people they will help
as for the 60 secs its not nonsense , believe me
from one who has been there and done it.

cleantime services

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2006, 12:27:13 pm »
My honest opinion is that it looks too bland and dull. It doesn't jump out and say, WOW! It's well written but basic, no before/after pics. With a little more thought it could be much better, my mark is please try harder!
CARPET CLEANING HIRE MACHINES FROM £15 PER DAY, INCLUDING DETERGENT ETC. DELIVERY/COLLECTION £10.

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 12:29:16 pm »

Cleantime,

Do you happen to know anyone from Gibralter, perhaps intimately? ;)

cleantime services

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2006, 12:30:15 pm »
Er?      ???
CARPET CLEANING HIRE MACHINES FROM £15 PER DAY, INCLUDING DETERGENT ETC. DELIVERY/COLLECTION £10.

murky

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2006, 01:52:38 pm »
Dave you have email

Liahona

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006, 02:25:16 pm »
Murky, in the subject, put this is for Dave as I think I deleted it already, best, Dave.

cleantime services

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2006, 02:39:06 pm »
Liahona, a man of your experience and knowledge I would have expected something more!

Liahona

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2006, 06:59:34 am »
Mike, yes you are right that it is not to get attention or to sell but simply for information. So keep me informed of what it is on your mind. I didnt do before and after pictures because it is basic and most everyone else does it. Also two other things, I am not allowed to use a camera in a lot of the properties I go into and secondly I mostly clean clean carpets so the difference in the pictures would make it an odd vision, i.e, why take two pictures of the same thing. Best, Dave.

carpetguy

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2006, 08:42:55 am »
This is a slightly odd discussion.............we have allegedly, the highest earner in the business being given "advice" from others , who, presumably know much less about marketing.

The 60 second rule is out of date, due to modern technology, which is causing the attention span, to be reduced to just a few seconds.

To confirm this, you just have to think about the astonishing number of times, on here, when someone posts a comment, which is "skimmed" by many, who only get the gist of the message but often miss the detail.

I would not attempt to advise anyone on web design, as I know very little about it, however, we are talking about MARKETING whether on the web, or elsewhere.

So............if you're wishing to sell your product, or service, there is only one way to do it....you have to consider the absolute basics of human nature and that means, in the prospect's mind............WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME ?

You then have to tell them, what you can do for them, show them what you can do for them and tell them again, what you can do for THEM

robbie

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2006, 07:18:09 pm »

Armadillos? ???

Matt Read

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2006, 08:22:16 pm »
Get a profesional to design your website , the money you say you earn you could describe what you want and get a top job done by someone who knows what they are doing.
Matt

supernova77

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2006, 08:39:12 pm »
This is a slightly odd discussion.............we have allegedly, the highest earner in the business being given "advice" from others , who, presumably know much less about marketing.

Web marketing is a lot lot different to conventional marketing!

I know that my site is not the best in the world... But, the site being discussed in this topic is a bit mid-90's if you know what I mean - blocky with a bad font.

Having said that - Please let me come with you when you next clean Angelina Jolie's carpets! :)

Andy

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2006, 08:45:47 pm »
Vanguard

The 60 second rule only applies when you are trying to catch someones attention out of the blue. If you are looking for a service 3-4 minutes is about the norm, if it's well written even longer.

The long Joe Polish letters are too long even for me, as I will read them to get information but I must admit to skipping bits because it gets boring.

You can't get your message across in 60 seconds so the way it is written is the key, with headings and sub headings to break up the long text.

Bullet points aren't enough for the disconcerting so you need an explaination of that bullet point.

Not too short and sweet !

Shaun

PS are you  going to Bens Leather course in January? and are you taking us around the area for a knees up?

stevegunn

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2006, 08:55:50 pm »

PS are you  going to Bens Leather course in January? and are you taking us around the area for a knees up?

I'm on the restoration course on the 12th/13th I'll take you round gods country not the dark side 8)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2006, 09:34:33 pm »
I don't want to go in any of those Gay Bars that you are famous for!

Shaun

stevegunn

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2006, 09:56:49 pm »
No gay bars in gods country :P

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2006, 10:11:44 pm »
Well God couldn't have been a footballer, not this season anyway ;D

Shaun