This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

[GQC] Tim

Any reason why not to do Postal orders?
« on: November 22, 2006, 08:44:48 pm »
Hi, I was thinking that on my cleaning chit, I could put postal orders as well, now I was wondering if there are any things to keep in mind, maybe drawbacks, or tips.

Thanks. :)

EasyClean

Re: Any reason why not to do Postal orders?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 09:53:26 pm »
I have 1 customer who doesn't have a cheque book and I don't go collecting evenings, ever! Because she can't send me a cheque she sends me a Postal Order every time I've cleaned her place and we both have no problem with that as it works fne. Ask your customer to make the Postal Order payable to you and not left blank.
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 09:57:57 pm »
I've got a customer that also sends me postal orders if I don't catch her in on my one collection day (Saturday morning).

The bank's fine with it; though I think it's a pain for the customer and I also think they incur a charge for doing it.

I don't know why she just doesn't hide it under her doormat like I asked her too!

craig jwc

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 10:02:32 pm »
I accept postal orders if people don't have a cheque book.

Only a few have sent them and the banks are ok with them.

They have changed the postal order to a different kind, that i can only assume is acceptable in banks as i think the post office could only take the old sort.

Craig

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 10:03:07 pm »
Yea, I'm gonna do that, some old people don't have cheque books, so a postal order would be nice for them.

Just wrote down this, can I use the same sentence for the postal order as well? would this work? :

Please make cheques or postal orders payable to T van D and write your address on the reverse side.

craig jwc

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 10:05:12 pm »
Thats basically what i have on mine

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 10:06:47 pm »
Thats basically what i have on mine

Okay cool, gonna print some off.  :)

Thanks a lot!

EasyClean

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 10:11:24 pm »
The reason some younger customers dont have cheque books is because they have financial difficulties if you get my drift. Let them post you on a postal order. It may cost them a small fee for postal orders but why should you be out of pocket and inconvenienced having to go and try to collect if they're in and if they have the funds on them. You're trying to run a business so why make life harder for yourself than you need to. Work smarter, not harder!!!
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

rosskesava

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 10:36:24 pm »
Hi EasyClean

I don't have a cheque book either and it has nothing to do funds in the bank. For some reason they are very hard to get from my bank. It could be the same for some other people also and I think that very soon anyway, banks will stop using cheques as a means for payment etc.

The problem with postal orders is that the person has to go to a post office, which may take time, and then pay for it.

If they pay cash for it, then they can pay me the cash instead, and if the use a credit card to pay for it, then it's easier to go to a cash machine.

Personally, I cannot see any advantage of paying by postal order unless that is the customers own choice.

One thing I am surprised at lately is how many customer pay by transfering the money online and by how many now pay by paypal.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 06:58:51 am »
Hi, I was thinking that on my cleaning chit, I could put postal orders as well, now I was wondering if there are any things to keep in mind, maybe drawbacks, or tips.

Thanks. :)

Postal Orders are fine.  I have several customers over the years who have sent them to me.  Unfortunately it costs the customer a bit more.  Also, I believe they are less secure than a cheque.  You can bank a postal order or exchange it for cash at a Post Office.  The Post Office does not ask for proof of ID so if your letter with the PO inside is intercepted, it can effectively be stolen.  If the amount is for the same as a banknote (£5, £10, £15 etc), they would be just as well off putting cash in the envelope and disguising it.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 07:00:08 am »
Yea, I'm gonna do that, some old people don't have cheque books, so a postal order would be nice for them.

Just wrote down this, can I use the same sentence for the postal order as well? would this work? :

Please make cheques or postal orders payable to T van D and write your address on the reverse side.

You've been looking at one of my bills, haven't you?   ;D

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 08:36:04 am »
Haha yes I have!  ;D

Malcal

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 10:38:18 pm »
Hi All
I have a customer who posts me £4 of supermarket savings stamps  as its a long way to the post office. If the customer wants to pay they will find a way.
Cheers Mal

craig jwc

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 10:40:33 pm »
Never heard of paying that way before - where do you cash them in?

Malcal

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 10:50:35 pm »
Hi craig
Put them on a card and use them at Christmas

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 11:50:29 pm »
Hi All
I have a customer who posts me £4 of supermarket savings stamps  as its a long way to the post office. If the customer wants to pay they will find a way.
Cheers Mal

Haha, that is totally crazy  ;D  ;D