Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bryan H

Re: Rip Off Britain
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2004, 08:07:03 pm »
Woodman,

I have just today discovered the same problem with 'Cleaning Pros'.  I have logged on many times & posted on the odd occasion, but it now says I don't exist.  Very odd !  Have I upset someone ?

Guess I will have to re-register.

Bryan
Christal Clean - Berks

Dynafoam

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2004, 09:31:52 pm »
Brian & Trevor,

I am sorry you are experiencing difficulties - I can assure you that you are most welcome.

Possibly the problem is related to identity.

An attempted registration using a nick-name will fail. We have probably all seen assorted mischief caused on forums by people who register under a fauses name, or people who are known only by nick-name, who pretend to be who they are not.

Recently several members have expressed a desire to see more information displayed on the member profile (eg full location, membership of trade organisations etc.) and the forum admin are responding to the wishes of the membership.

Brian, if your registration slipped through as Bian_H, then uou should have received a PM from Tim asking that you enter your correct name. in the absence of a reply, the registration may have been cancelled. If this sounds a trifle draconian, let me just say that in at least one instance, a former member was found to have deliberately faulsifed his identity.

John.

Derek

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2004, 10:35:12 pm »
Hi

I can gain access to the sites BUT I do have to 'rejoin' (log in) almost every week..  :(

I posted about this some weeks ago and was told in increase the number of days ...doesn't work for me.

This re-logging in seems to be coming around even quicker...darned annoying too  >:(

Cheers
Derek

tony harrison

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2004, 11:05:24 pm »
I am curious just how many Freemasons are there in the cleaning business.there are at least two.

I am on the level and my Lodge is in Darlington County Durham.

Regards Tony Harrison.

Len Gribble

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2004, 12:19:19 am »
Hi Lads

Are you doing a cleaning up of you system? That will make you logging again as you have deleted the relevant data in your files.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Dave Parry

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2004, 02:08:23 am »
I'm a freemason, a member of a Birkenhead lodge and a member of Bracknell lodge.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

Dynafoam

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2004, 02:58:40 am »
Derek,

In order to recognise you, a web site needs to put a small text file on your computer, known as a "cookie"

When you visit a forum, the software looks on your hard disk for it's own cookie, and if found will log you in.

Not all cookies are harmless, so various pieces of software have been written (eg. Norton) which delete these files at set intervals. It can also be done manually or the opperating system can be set to clear them each time shut down.

Since you can go days without having to log on, the latter is not the case and you would know if you were deleting cookies (perhaps with windows 'clean-up' applet) so I suspect the culpret is  one of the Norton, mcAfee or similar programmes. These usually have setting to control this behaviour under an "Options" tag.

Hope this is of help, and written in a language comprehended in "your own little world"  ;)

John.

Dynafoam

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2004, 03:27:23 am »
Derek,

I forgot to mention that if you are unable to identify the programme causing the problem, there is a work-around that will give you a warning when the cookie is about to be deleted.

Open Windows explorer and go to C:\window\cookies (substitute the drive letter where windows is located if not on C: )

The cookie for another forum will be called something like "derek bolton@www.another forum.co(2).text

(You may have more than one,  the number in brackets being different. to keep things simple, we'll protect them all.)

Right-click on the file(s) and from the pop-up menu that appears, left-click on "Properties"

At the bottom of the next window that appears, you will see attributes - put a tick in "read only" - do this for all the files that bear this name.

The files are not protected from deletion, but if the deleting programme is well written, whenever an attempt to delete is made a window should appear saying that an attempt is being made to delete a rea-only file "XXYZ" and you simply answer NO.

John.

Derek

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2004, 10:18:56 am »

John

That's obviously it!

I did have a clean up at the weekend and yes I do, as a matter, of course delete cookies etc.

I will take your advice on board

Thanks

Back to my own little world now  ;)

Derek