This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

gaza

3 high on ladders
« on: September 12, 2006, 10:26:51 pm »
The other day was speaking to a w/c who employs  5/6 lads he toldd me his lads clean 3 high with someone footing the ladder,to which Ireplied that this maybe  against H/S REGS, NO ITS NOT was his reply who was right?

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Sir Squeaky

Re: 3 high on ladders
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 10:31:18 pm »
Probably him, but possibly not.

Mind you, he should have said "What's it to you?" "I'll do what I want" ;)

s.hughes

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 10:35:57 pm »
From what I know you cant have somebody foot the ladder it has to be a ladder stopper as these are seen as more safe.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 10:56:05 pm »
I'm sure someone with a little in depth knowledge of the regs will provide and answer, but I am sure that after a certain height the ladders have to be tied off and so on....

but the guy is crazy, no way on this earth would I allow an employee to work at height off a ladder!
If it hits the fan, as an employer you will probably be for the high jump in a big way. If an accident should happen, and its a bad one, then you will be investigated, and if it is found that your employees breeched health and safety regs then you will be in it up to your neck for not ensuring that they abided by all the regulations.

This has nothing to do with the debate on WFP v ladders, for me it is a simple case of fear of prosecution!!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

gaza

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 11:09:46 pm »
TOTALLY AGREE with you Ian,during the friendly chat [we quite often stop to have a chat[see squeeky people do like me] and cus I had a van I moved a 3 piece for this guy [hes trad] JUST SAID iHOPE none of your lads ave an accident in working in this manner for ur benifit and left it at that

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

james cairns

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 11:17:50 pm »
guys watched a program on fiemen trainnees and they putup a 4 tier ladder with guys footing the ladder

is it a rule for 1 and a rule for another

Pat Purcell

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 11:37:04 pm »
Exactly how high is a three tier ladder?
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

brett walker

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 11:40:32 pm »
Good topic Gaza

I would like to know where the homeowners stand can they be made responsible and sued? or is it just down to the window cleaner

regards

Brett.

Jason Atwell

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 07:52:57 pm »
Totally off the subject, But brett what is the make of your van and how much room do you have inside. Thinking for the future of swapping car for van, but dont want a huge fuel guzzler!
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

rosskesava

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 08:28:38 pm »
The maximum height for short duration work off a free standing ladder is 9 metres (29ft).

Cheers

Pat Purcell

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 09:00:57 pm »
Rosskesava is that the ladder height or the working height

brett walker

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 09:10:08 pm »
Totally off the subject, But brett what is the make of your van and how much room do you have inside. Thinking for the future of swapping car for van, but dont want a huge fuel guzzler!

Hi Jase

my van is a old Bedford Rascal G reg, its had a respray and been well looked after it only cost me 450 pounds.  I carry about 8- 25ltr barrels plus trolley in it a day theres just enough room in it for what i need.
I have got an estate car to fall back on if anything goes wrong with it but i much prefere the van, its petrol but its not a guzzler

hope this helps

regards

Brett

rosskesava

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 09:15:14 pm »
Hi Pat
Rosskesava is that the ladder height or the working height

As far as I can remember it is the person working and the height of the ladder.

In other words - the ladder must be 9m or under when fully extended and the person working must not exceed 9m high.

Also, just checked up and it is ok and reccomended to have someone footing the ladder. Strangely enough I also found another place where it said that it is not such a good idea because if the person up the ladder falls then they may fall on the person at the bottom.  ???

Pat Purcell

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 09:20:44 pm »
Thanks for that, but if a 9m ladder set at the correct angle to a wall is as larege as you can have then how could a person get to work at 8.99m sorry if thats a stupid question but am trying to figure the eu system as im heading over there soon

poleman

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 09:33:33 pm »
At the moment in time its NOT 9m its 6m and then if above 6m it has to be tied off and only then up to 9m HOWEVER this was the recommendation of talks Between the Fed of window cleaners and the HSE BEFORE the working at height regulations was law and so new guidelines are due very soon, apart from that I cant say much more

Andy     

Pat Purcell

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 09:37:53 pm »
WOW 6m, my wife has heels on her shoes higher than that ;D

rosskesava

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 10:19:28 pm »
Hi Andy

I was reading it from a H & S booklet dated Jan 2006.

Has all changed since then?

In the booklet I have it says that over 6m the ladder must have some type of stabilising device but doesn't mention tying off.

The reason I'm asking is because we have a large commercial job that is at 7m.

Thanks and cheers.

(ps did a conservatory today for £90)

Hi Pat

The height whether 6m or 9m is the height at 90 degrees from the top to the bottom.

Cheers

poleman

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 10:47:10 pm »
This is the present guidelines for our industry http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/misc613.pdf

Its well out of date, and was before WAHR so new guidelines are on there way, apart from that, I cant say anymore than that

Andy

poleman

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 11:01:30 pm »
Thinking about it there probably not worth the paper there on, as the working at height regulations would have superseded them in law, so its clear as mud unto the new guidelines for our Industry are out  :-\

Andy   

rosskesava

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 09:51:35 pm »
It is as clear as mud which seems to be normal with the H & S.

Just out of interest, today I had to phone the CBI to do another matter and while on the phone I got put through to the something someone somebody dept who give H & S advice for the construction industry. He said that securing a ladder can mean either at the top or the bottom or anywhere in between and that a person footing the ladder and holding it with his hands means the ladder is being secured.

But ..... he then said that if using any ladder upto 9m puts the user at a greater than reasonable risk for the type of job being undertaken, then that is in contravention of the WAHL's.

I give up.  ???