This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

shelton

Your Sickness Policy?
« on: August 29, 2006, 07:08:59 pm »
Hi all,

I'm getting fed up with turning down prospective new clients (think my marketing campaign is better than I gave it credit for).

As a current one-woman-band, it makes sense for me to now start employing someone to take on extra work.  I'm still in the early stages of deciding exactly where I want to go with this, but one potential issue is orrying me.

When my (future) employee calls in sick, what's the deal with their customer for the day?  How do you guys handle it?

I have so many issues whizzing around my head, I'm currently erring on the side of keeping it small, more for simplicity than anything.  But then again, I know there is more work out there for the taking (just that I don't have the time to do it on my own).

Any advice on this issue, or stories/advice on how you went from yourself to a team would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

jimmyjames

Re: Your Sickness Policy?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 07:48:41 pm »
Hi
I employee 20 people full and some part time and it feals like Im Im only doing it to give them a Job.
I try to get all my part time cleaners to do the work in the evening then I have a better chance of covering sick time ie get some one else for the evening or get it done in the morning.
If you clean in the morning by the time they ring in dying of some strang illness (hangover ) you have no time to cover it. when you get this a few times its goodbye contract.
Hope this help in planning your cleaners.
Jim

*Chris Browne

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 08:57:26 pm »
I have a part time supervisor that when she is not checking our contracts also becomes a floater that covers anyone not turning up, good one the other night, one lady decided at 5 o'clock she was having minor surgery at 6 o'clock so couldn't make it, ...5.30 she was spotted in our local mcdonalds,  ;D ;D........over the last twenty years i have heard some crackers Ive even known cleaners parents dying....twice!!...clever eh? :-\

chris

shelton

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 09:05:44 pm »
What about when you were just starting to expand?

I can't cover as I'll be doing the existing customers.  I'm looking to specifically employ in order to take on new business, not to cover what I already do.

This will specifically be domestic work, so evening time is a non-starter.

;D

Art

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 09:16:45 pm »
Why don't you give them some of your work, which will make you available to cover any sickness.

I know you said you didn't want them to take on any existing work but as the only person that's going to be reliable is you, can't see how you can do it any other way

Mr BSF

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 09:54:37 pm »
Try and get jobs that require at least 2 cleaners on site per shift, 1 person jobs can be a right pain, this solves a lot of headaches when someone calls in sick at the last minute, Chris has made a very good point, have someone mobile if you can afford it to cover for sickness, if no ones off sick they can check up on other sites, deliver supplies, stock checks etc.

Its also worth keeping your jobs in one area when you first start then working your way out as you get bigger, I also have other staff that will cover for holidays, sickness at very short notice, they will complete their main hrs then work extra on other sites that are nearby if needed, but remember you will have employers nics to take in to account if they earn enough, its much better to keep em on 10-15 hrs a week, but if it helps you out its worth it short term.

Regards

BSF ;D