This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

Lining back of van - latest ideas
« on: August 08, 2023, 05:43:21 pm »
So the old bus is ready to have the back redone and after removing the ply and rubber matting the original painted surface is sound but has some light surface rust on some high spots.

What do you recommend...

Firstly to prepare the surface and then a top coat.

I am currently thinking Protectakote.

Thoughts?
It's a game of three halves!

NWH

Re: Lining back of van - latest ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 06:13:51 pm »
Protektacote is perfect it’s served me very well you can also re apply it in spots that may rub off slightly,overall I thinks it’s the best option tbh.

p1w1

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 06:20:43 pm »
If you go the Protectakote  route, get the UVR version instead of the standard, Its more hard wearing and faster drying and its not that much more expensive. Prep the van  (i used the green scotch type pads) then applied 2 coats of Protectakote with a stipple roller, worked for me. Id make sure you get rid of all the rust though and wear clothes your happy to throw away after  ;D

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 06:31:00 pm »
Interesting comments here.

My first van I did with Protectakote black. It was brilliant. I did my current van with Grey about 4 years ago, and tbh, I am disappointed with its durability.

I do need to get another small tin and touch-up all the wear areas. I will then put some rubber matting down to stop it wearing through again.

If I knew the result 4 years ago, I would have looked for another product.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

EandM

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 07:51:42 pm »
2K Bedliner is reasonably indestructible, cost effective and easy to apply.

Just get a decent mask.

Splash & dash

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 09:35:17 pm »
Protectacoat  is very soft and damages and wares very quickly have it done  with line x or similar  type of two pack product it’s indestructible

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 09:35:30 pm »
Do I paint metal primer, rust-o-leum or hammerite on any surface rust (not loose) before using  Protectakote?

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 11:32:08 pm »
I'm not impressed with Protectorkote it soon wears away anywhere there is traffic on the van floor

X-Line - outstanding - did the boxer something like 7 years ago - had systems in/out - pressure washers - you name it - still look like new - a green investment.

You will have to weigh up what its worth to you as regards the length of time your keeping the van and if you want to re-sell at a decent price

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2023, 11:54:07 pm »
I’ve seen the inside of some vans on here and I don’t think Protektacote would be any good either lol 😂.

Nigel xx.

Soupy

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2023, 05:53:51 am »
We use raptor. It's excellent. You'd need a compressor though.

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2023, 07:01:46 am »
I'm not impressed with Protectorkote it soon wears away anywhere there is traffic on the van floor

X-Line - outstanding - did the boxer something like 7 years ago - had systems in/out - pressure washers - you name it - still look like new - a green investment.

You will have to weigh up what its worth to you as regards the length of time your keeping the van and if you want to re-sell at a decent price

Darran

I echo your experience Darran with regards to protektakote.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2023, 07:19:11 am »

Darran

I've googled. Do you mean Line X?

How much?

Soupy

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2023, 08:16:00 am »
FYI

This is what we use:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284879709677?

Some of our lads are rough. Never had it fail. As previously stated we use a compressor although it can be brushed on.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2023, 08:30:51 am »
FYI

This is what we use:

Some of our lads are rough. Never had it fail. As previously stated we use a compressor although it can be brushed on.

Thanks for that.

What do you use in preparation, assuming the bed is used and not brand new?

Soupy

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2023, 08:57:16 am »
FYI

This is what we use:

Thanks for that.

What do you use in preparation, assuming the bed is used and not brand new?

We've done both.

New - scouring pad
Used - it depends. Usually a dry sand is sufficient. If there are areas of rust sometimes a more robust method is required. An air powered wire brush or similar.

The box on ebay will do more than 2 LWB Fiat Doblos.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2023, 09:57:28 am »
2K Bedliner is reasonably indestructible, cost effective and easy to apply.

Just get a decent mask.

Any preparation tips?

Stoots

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2023, 11:28:08 am »
When I got my new van last year I had it lined out in plastic on the sides and phenolic plywood flooring and arches.

I think I paid £440. It's a big van though possibly twice as much a material as a doblo...

There's not really any need to paint a floor ( although I've done many over the years from protektokote to raptor liner) as paint is waterproof.

I took it all out the other week to check underneath was ok and there was just a couple of spots the paint had worn through from rubbing on the ply so I touched these up with white paint and put the ply back in. Despite spilling a lot of water in their everyday the ply is still solid.

Smudger

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2023, 01:26:13 pm »
Maybe waterproof but it f your dragging in and out equipment you’ll go through the paint - I have a rust hole in the floor of a 4 year old relay - will try that stuff soupy recommends when I repair it
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Soupy

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2023, 02:23:47 pm »
Maybe waterproof but it f your dragging in and out equipment you’ll go through the paint - I have a rust hole in the floor of a 4 year old relay - will try that stuff soupy recommends when I repair it

Just used it to spray the underside of the tub on a 1976 landy we're refurbing. Looks like new.

Stoots

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2023, 03:18:38 pm »
I did a spraying course in april and have a full compressor setup etc i plan on spraying raptor in mine eventually but you can just brush it. You can use a stipple roller if you want that effect.

You`ll need to remove rust then use an etch primer or adhesion promoter to any bare metal. Use scotch pads to key the surface, you only need a light key you dont want to go to bare metal (or you`ll need a primer)

Being a 2k paint technically you should be using an air fed mask as it contains icocyanates which really arent good to be breathing. Long term exposure can cause asthma but even short term some people have a bad reaction to it....But as long as you ensure good ventilation and use a good mask you should be ok.

these are the filters i use https://thefacemaskstore.co.uk/moldex-9230-combined-filter-a2p3r-for-series-7000-9000-easylock/

its about as good as you can get without going air fed, general rule is if you can smell paint through your mask the mask aint good enough, i have a moldex full face mask i use with those filters as bad stuff can get in through your eyes and pores,......probably seems overkill for spraying 1 van but good masks are reusable so worth buying as can be used for all sorts of d.i.y such as sanding using different filters.