van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

robert mitchell

Re: Where did my post go???
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2023, 01:08:53 pm »
Insurance companies aren't above the law Simon, for an insurance company not to pay out they have to prove the modification caused the accident ,  in other words it effected the road handling, another reason is if the mod has added value to the vehicle and made it more attractive to thieves, think about it, how many modifications have you actually made and declared ? bolted in pole hooks, roof rack, Speedliner, Protectakote , van wrap, ply lined, fitted shelving, tow bar, bolted in pole hose, split charger, upgraded battery, the list is endless.
That's not true, is it?
If you have failed to notify them of a modification then they can invalidate your insurance. It doesn't have to be the cause of an accident and the vehicle doesn't even have to been involved in an accident.
It's about the information that you submit.

Yes it is true , the law changed a few years ago , and quite rightly too!
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

G Griffin

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2023, 01:54:39 pm »
Insurance companies aren't above the law Simon, for an insurance company not to pay out they have to prove the modification caused the accident ,  in other words it effected the road handling, another reason is if the mod has added value to the vehicle and made it more attractive to thieves, think about it, how many modifications have you actually made and declared ? bolted in pole hooks, roof rack, Speedliner, Protectakote , van wrap, ply lined, fitted shelving, tow bar, bolted in pole hose, split charger, upgraded battery, the list is endless.
That's not true, is it?
If you have failed to notify them of a modification then they can invalidate your insurance. It doesn't have to be the cause of an accident and the vehicle doesn't even have to been involved in an accident.

How, if your insurance was invalidated?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Splash & dash

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2023, 02:28:36 pm »
That's not true, is it?

No they don’t as an example if you fit aftermarket wheels on your car and don’t declare it they can choose not to pay out in the event of an accident , also another classic is people who convert there vans to campers by adding windows , kitchens or beds and extra seating and insuring it as a panel van I know several that have been caught on like this and the claim thrown out .

Splash & dash

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2023, 02:56:56 pm »
First thing I google about rejected insurance claims , have a look for yourselves it’s interesting reading , Evan things like parking  sensors are classed as modifications in some
Car Finance
Makes and Models
Locations
Bad Credit Car Finance
Blog
Contact Us
Sign in
Driving insurance
top reasons car insurance claims are rejected

January 7, 2019 | Written By: Daniel Kelly

Being involved in a road accident or the becoming the victim of car theft or vandalism can be really stressful, as well as expensive in the long run. The last thing you would want is for your claim to be rejected by your insurer. Unfortunately, this happens more than you might expect, with 5% of all car insurance claims being either fully or partially rejected. Below, we have outlined the most common reasons why insurance claims can be rejected. Be sure to double check that you have not fallen into any of these traps so that you have cover should you ever need to claim.

Insurers will not pay out if you have provided incorrect or inadequate information on your insurance application, including updating your details should anything change. This may include:

Misstating what you use your vehicle for e.g. saying that you only use it for “social, domestic and pleasure” when in fact you also use it for your daily commute to work.
Misstating where your vehicle is parked at night e.g. saying that you park your car in a locked garage when in fact you leave it on a public street.
Additional people using the car that have not been registered as named drivers. If the main driver of the car is not the same as the policyholder, this is known as ‘fronting’.
Grossly underestimating your annual mileage. (Reasonable margin is usually permitted).
Not disclosing any pre-existing medical conditions e.g. poor eyesight
Failure to update your address on your licence if you move homes.
Failure to declare any modifications to your vehicle.
Failure to disclose previous driving claims or convictions.
car-collision

Any of the following can also be considered as reasonable grounds for rejection:

Any premiums going unpaid, for example, if you change banks and do not update your direct debits.
Your MOT certificate is out of date.
Your car is not roadworthy, e.g. it requires repairs or modifications to make it legally usable.
General negligence e.g. leaving your car unlocked, with its windows open or keys in the ignition whilst it is unattended.
Driving recklessly including speeding, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs or any other provable failure to take due care when driving.
Failure to report an accident at the time and attempting to claim for it after time has elapsed.
Failure to notify the police of any criminal activity involving your vehicle and not obtaining a crime reference number.
Many of these rejection reasons can be considered as simply common sense, however, it’s worth checking your policy documents if you can’t remember exactly what information you put in your application. In the event that your claim has been refused and you believe it to be an unfair rejection, you can go through the Financial Ombudsman Service appeals process that will confirm that your claim has been dealt with appropriately.

Amount Borrow

£

Over 4 Years

Credit Score

Best available rate
8.9% APR
Total cost of credit
Total repayment
48 Monthly Payments of
£185.06
Apply Now >>
No impact on your credit score
motorly is a credit broker, not a lender. Rates start from 6.9% APR. The rate you are offered will depend on your individual circumstances. Representative Example: Borrowing £5,500 over 48 months with a representative APR of 22.9% the amount payable would be £287 a month, with a total cost of credit of £1406 and a total amount payable of £6906.

Recent Posts

April 5, 2023 | Daniel Kelly
Can I get car finance with Bad Credit?

If you have bad credit or an insufficient credit record, obtaining car finance may appear difficult, but there are...

find out more
April 1, 2023 | Daniel Kelly
Can You Still Get Car Finance if You Have an IVA?

If you’re currently in an “individual voluntary arrangement” or IVA, you may be wondering if you can still get...

find out more

4MM t/a Motorly
1st Floor Offices, The ACC
Altrincham
Cheshire
WA14 1PF
Car Finance
Faq: How can we help?
Our Lenders List
About Us
Contact Us
Priority Opt-Out
Initial Disclosure Agreement
Careers
Complaints Procedure
Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
info@motorly.co.uk

01925 986 756

Motorly is a trading name of 4MM Limited and is a company registered in England and Wales (company number 7783098 ICO Z314122X). Registered Office: The Courtyard Old Courthouse Road Bromborough Wirral CH62 4UE. Postal Address: First Floor Office, The ACC, Market St, Altrincham WA14 1PF

4MM Limited trading as Motorly is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority – Reference Number: 947962.

4MM Ltd trading as Motorly acts as a credit broker and not a lender. We can introduce you to a limited number of lenders who may be able to offer you finance facilities for your purchase. We will receive a commission payment from these providers if you decide to enter into an agreement with them. This will not impact the rate or amount you are provided. All commission received is fixed but may vary by lender. We do not charge a fee for arranging the finance, however, some of our lenders may charge a fee. The exact rate you will be offered will be based on your circumstances, subject to status.

This site uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience. By continuing to use the site you are consenting for cookies to be used. Further information on cookies and how you can disable them is available on our cookie policy.

Any commission we receive does not impact the rate you are provided by the broker. Further information is available upon request.

Proud to support:

DJW

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2023, 04:51:30 pm »
You can’t help yourself can you  ::)roll

NWH

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2023, 06:10:06 pm »
Yeah but yeah but yeah but 🤣🤣🤣 you won’t convince the online form fillers Splash.downloading an incorrect filled in insurance certificate will be fine until D-Day m8

EandM

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2023, 10:37:19 pm »

Any of the following can also be considered as reasonable grounds for rejection:

Your MOT certificate is out of date.

That one is a little bit contentious.
Some insurance companies do state that in the terms & conditions, the vehicle must have an MOT but I've never heard of an insurance company pulling cover for that reason alone.

Specifically, Borrowed from Patterson Law:

"Your insurance company can deem your insurance void, but only if there is a specific term in the contract suggesting that the insurance will be invalidated if there is no MOT in place. It may also be suggested that this is a breach of the rules in relation to motoring insurance policies.
The road traffic act states that it is an offence to refuse to indemnify somebody under an insurance policy due to matters relating to the condition of the vehicle… These are complicated issues."

You also have a provision under law to drive a vehicle with no MOT or VED an unlimited distance to a pre-booked MOT test. This alone causes issues with the terms & conditions created by some insurance companies.

Dry Clean

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2023, 08:29:52 pm »
Insurance companies aren't above the law Simon, for an insurance company not to pay out they have to prove the modification caused the accident,  in other words it effected the road handling, another reason is if the mod has added value to the vehicle and made it more attractive to thieves, think about it, how many modifications have you actually made and declared ? bolted in pole hooks, roof rack, Speedliner, Protectakote , van wrap, ply lined, fitted shelving, tow bar, bolted in pole hose, split charger, upgraded battery, the list is endless.

Lol eh you have to let the insurance company know about any modification “when you get your documentation through the post or online check the policy you are responsible “.
If they’ve not included everything relevant you have to then let them know so they can adjust everything covered,if they decide not to pay you out good luck they won’t make that decision if they can’t get away with it trust me.

This is from citizens advice, feel free to verify it.

Insurance can protect you when things go wrong. When you decide to take out insurance there are things that your insurer needs to know so that they can work out what the risk is of insuring you and how much that will cost.

From 6 April 2013 your insurer must ask all relevant questions they need to know before you take out, renew or change a policy under the Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012.

Before this date, you had to give any information to the insurer that may have affected their decision to insure you, whether or not the insurer asked all the relevant questions.

This page explains what your responsibilities were to disclose information to your insurer before 6 April 2013, to help with any disputes with insurance taken out, renewed or changed before 6 April 2013.

Smudger

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2023, 08:55:17 pm »
good post

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

G Griffin

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2023, 10:36:39 am »
So the insurer has an obligation to ask all the relevant questions and the customer has an obligation to answer them accurately?
That seems right and fair.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Soupy

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2023, 12:21:01 pm »
Carrying a tank is not a modification.

Vans are for carrying stuff.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2023, 01:32:36 pm »
I agree. But are you prepared to argue that in court? I’m not.

NWH

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2023, 01:39:28 pm »
Carrying a tank is not a modification.

Vans are for carrying stuff.

Good luck with that then give Nikki a call at A Plan see what she reckons tell her that you’ve got a tank which is bolted in 24/7 for daily use,also ask her what’s the score with a tank strapped in with ratchet straps.
I reckon there’s 1000s upon 1000s of people not properly declaring what they do and what they carrry ie contract cleaner etc,you have a half serious accident that the police or fire attend you will be in the poo 💩.

EandM

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2023, 02:26:24 pm »
I've just reinsured my two Rangers with Gladiator for £417 total.

It's a big jump over last year from £360 but they originally wanted £474!

Bizarrely, I've just tried to get a car insurance quote with them and it's £200 more than my existing renewal!

Strange things seem to be afoot in the insurance industry.

NWH

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2023, 02:29:01 pm »
I bet there’s no end of window cleaners don’t declare a tank online you aren’t recorded when you go through the quote like you obviously are on the phone,so easy to skip the tank part and save 2-300 notes.

Soupy

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2023, 02:47:24 pm »
I've made more than one claim since 2005 when we started putting tanks in vehicles.

The word modification has never been uttered. Not once.

Soupy

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2023, 02:48:38 pm »
are you prepared to argue that in court?

Yes but I won't have to.

Edit: for clarity, I don't fill in an online form for insurance, I have a broker.

EandM

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2023, 02:49:57 pm »
I bet there’s no end of window cleaners don’t declare a tank online you aren’t recorded when you go through the quote like you obviously are on the phone,so easy to skip the tank part and save 2-300 notes.

Just reviewing my freshly emailed Policy Documents as the new one starts tomorrow.

It clearly states for Ranger 1:

Modifications: Water Tank, Truckman Top (or similar), Interior Changes

And for Ranger 2:

Modifications: Water Tank.

Soupy

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2023, 02:59:55 pm »
There's a few window cleaners on here.

Many with tanks in their vans.

A fair percentage of those will not have declared their tank as a modification.

Some of those must have had an accident.

Have you, or anyone you know been refused a pay-out, or had their insurance invalidated after an accident?

Thought not.

This argument has been going on here for over a decade, probably longer. Yet to hear of a single case of an insurance company successfully arguing in court that carrying a tank of water in a van is a modification. Not even heard of them try.

G Griffin

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2023, 04:30:47 pm »
I've made more than one claim since 2005 when we started putting tanks in vehicles.

The word modification has never been uttered. Not once.
It's mentioned before you insure the van though?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐