This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Spruce

Re: Another George question
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2023, 10:22:43 am »
I do feel sorry for Paul as he put all the programming work in and now he gets no regular income from it. You can see why they want you to rent programs monthly/annually these days.
George has been an excellent program for us.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

windowswashed

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2023, 09:11:38 pm »
That's not true. I have windows 11 on a new netbook. Yes out of the box it will only use Microsoft approved apps. This is called "S" mode but you can opt out of that ( an irreversible action ) and then install George or whatever you want. It maybe different if upgrading an existing device but in my case when I set up my new computer I was prompted to decide whether to continue in S mode or permanently remove it.

I opted out of windows 11 for S mode so basically it's still windows 10 as it's not using windows 11 as it definitely won't work with 11
You've lost me. Is my new netbook with windows 11 pre installed now basically windows 10 because I opted and clicked out/removed S mode ? It's appearance and layout looks completely different to windows 10 on my home pc and I have George installed and working on both.

Edit

I've just checked my netbook this morning in case I'm going completely mad. Windows 11 operating system with George installed and working fine.

When I got a new laptop for George (Back up only), Currys were only selling windows 11 laptops which I didn't want.  The staff told me I could buy one with S mode and change it so I could use George.   I downloaded George and it wouldn't work until I put opted out of S mode, then I could download and use George as a spare back up. I don't use this computer for anything else as I bought it purely for the sake of keeping a back up of my work. I prefer a big desktop for everyday use as it's less strain on the eyes.
I guess my spare laptop is a windows 11 then as I never use it for anything other than saving back ups for work and plan on keeping it that way. It's just peace of mind.

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2023, 09:25:41 pm »
I bought my windows 11 netbook from Curry's for much the same reason, opted out of S mode and only use it for George too.
It was handy to have in the van , my wife was working from home last year and hogging the desktop even in to the evening. like most, I just want to finish work, update the round and unwind ! Fortunately she's now on maternity leave so not so essential to take the laptop to work with me anymore.

deeege

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2023, 07:20:37 am »
I do feel sorry for Paul as he put all the programming work in and now he gets no regular income from it. You can see why they want you to rent programs monthly/annually these days.
George has been an excellent program for us.

It’s not a great business model is it, especially for someone struggling with health, the stress and time spent dealing with all these issues must be exhausting.

I bought a copy many years ago but have moved to squeegee for years now. £180 a year for the piece of mind that all my data is accessible and backed up is an absolute bargain imo.

"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2023, 06:34:25 pm »
I lose count but I must have used George for at least the last 15 years. Right back then, there wasn't anything else specific to window cleaners to purchase, not to my knowledge at any rate. Paul would have needed a crystal ball or some foresight to see the direction the window cleaning industry was heading. Now in 2023 we are very much in a digital age far moreso than the mid 2000's. Who'd have realised back then that we would be so willing to pay for ongoing monthly subscription apps and that we'd put our full trust in a physically invisible entity known as the "cloud" ?

Spruce

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2023, 06:54:30 pm »
I lose count but I must have used George for at least the last 15 years. Right back then, there wasn't anything else specific to window cleaners to purchase, not to my knowledge at any rate. Paul would have needed a crystal ball or some foresight to see the direction the window cleaning industry was heading. Now in 2023 we are very much in a digital age far moreso than the mid 2000's. Who'd have realised back then that we would be so willing to pay for ongoing monthly subscription apps and that we'd put our full trust in a physically invisible entity known as the "cloud" ?

^^^ Agree.
In those days, programs were sold. Microsoft Office 2007 and many others were examples. Now, Office 365 is an annual contract.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)