This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve H

Hypo use
« on: August 25, 2022, 10:43:54 am »
Hi Guys,
Just been looking at where to purchase some Hypo. and its application etc.
I have had the black spot remover before from Spinaclean (great company for equipment - bit not the cheapest).
Its basically Sodium Hypochlorite from what i can see, comes in at £30 for 5 litres covers 25m2 and doesnt mention watering it down, i assuming this is the same Hypo as talked about on the forum? Seems expensive for sure and marketed as "black spot remover". There must be cheaper places to buy from if its the same stuff.
Anyway, is it best to pressure wash the whole area first, then apply the hypo (to any areas needed) with say a watering can, rather than the other way round. My guess is you would be wasting it by just spreading it everywhere before you start, then pressure washing.
If using hypo, I assume everywhere needs thouroughly rinsing down afterwards, ie garden, walls, grass etc.
Also, has anyone had issues with it staining, say on block paving?  or slabs? Staining always concerns me, as i dont use a lot of chemicals.
Thanks in advance
Steve
If you reach for the stars and only reach the moon, you will have acheived more than you thought you could.

Mike Halliday

Re: Hypo use
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 09:19:40 pm »
I’m paying £22 for 25lts of 10-11% there’s people buying it cheaper.

I clean then apply it at about 4-1, if it needs a bit stronger I sometimes put neat down.

Never stained blockwork even when using neat, I just rinse it down once it’s worked
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 11:21:33 pm »
Yes you need to look around - farm suppliers sell it im told - or Pool suppliers.

I get mine from a cleaning suppliers 14% - 25 Its @ £18 (there bouts)

The thing is hypo will go 6 or 7 times further than propriety brands as they have already watered the stuff down - you would almost be as well buying thick bleach from a shop

Pressure wash first - applying the hypo before cleaning is wasting it - hypo does not clean dirt or non organic material off the surface - your after getting to the black spot etc.. it all works better when you can concentrate directly on these areas

Hypo is pretty safe of most surfaces used in gardens - if unsure TEST!

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 04:50:54 pm »
We do things differently to Darren we hypo the whole area then pressure wash , and re treat black spot if needed , I don’t really think there is a right or wrong way , we usually find that by hypoing the whole area it eats into the dirt making it break up easier and just by applying it it looks a lot cleaner before pw .

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 11:19:18 pm »
there is always more than one way to skin a cat as they say...

I never found the pre applying of hypo that effective when you then have to go over it again after p/w

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 04:15:37 pm »
there is always more than one way to skin a cat as they say...

I never found the pre applying of hypo that effective when you then have to go over it again after p/w

Darran

I agree but it’s rare that we have to hypo it again , my thoughts on it was if you pw then hypo you have to rinse again so doing the job twice.  We have tried both ways and most of the time find applying hypo first then pw is the quickest most cost effective way for us but agree either way will work

the king

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 09:12:07 pm »
i find on some paving thats realy bad pre trement is best as ive had jobs were you clean hole paving then hypo it then all the yellow spots appear so have to go over it again with washer pre treating it gets fungi lifted then you can blast away saves on fuel with washer

Steve H

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 08:46:04 pm »
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies on this, forgot about it tbh.
Ive tried both ways with hypo (before and after) every job is different no doubt, but generally i prefer to pressure wash and then hypo (if necessary) any area that might need it. I prefer that way round as i wouldnt want to be putting hypo down ( potentially wasting it sometimes) and then pressure washing the area covered in Hypo, getting hypo all over me, not great!
Cheers guys
If you reach for the stars and only reach the moon, you will have acheived more than you thought you could.