This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Power Clean Patios and Driveways

Pressure washing in Winter
« on: January 31, 2022, 05:13:52 pm »
Quick question and would love your feedback

I have a few inquiries about pressure washing patios and driveways in the winter months. And despite me advising that the season does not start again until around the end of March time they still insist they want the job done now. Apart from the risk of machine damage and burst hoses, surely they can see these jobs are best suited to the warmer weather?

Is anyone else getting these inquiries in the winter months as well? And if so what do you advise?

Thanks
Clive

Splash & dash

Re: Pressure washing in Winter
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 05:35:27 pm »
Quick question and would love your feedback

I have a few inquiries about pressure washing patios and driveways in the winter months. And despite me advising that the season does not start again until around the end of March time they still insist they want the job done now. Apart from the risk of machine damage and burst hoses, surely they can see these jobs are best suited to the warmer weather?

Is anyone else getting these inquiries in the winter months as well? And if so what do you advise?

Thanks
Clive

We do pressure washing all year but it’s more popular in the spring/summer , how are you going to get burst hoses and machine damage ??? Water won’t freeze  in the pump when working or we have never experienced that . If they want it doing just crack on would be my moto .

MarkSutcliffe

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 05:51:44 pm »
Moving water doesnt tend to freeze as the kinetic energy keeps it from thawing, hence why rivers don't freeze over but ponds will.

Carpet cleaning has issues in winter as the water in the pipes is hot and quite a few leave the machines outside.

Done 3 jobs in January, no issues with any of them

Power Clean Patios and Driveways

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 07:51:53 pm »
My issue is because my machine is van mounted if we get a particularly cold night it does freeze a bit.

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 08:59:44 am »
Clean all year round no issues - the only time I haven’t cleaned was minus 4 On a roof as the moss was froze solid- it’s madness turning away work IMO

Stick a oil filled rad in the overnight set on frost - no freezing up

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 05:08:48 pm »
I’ve done 2 pressure washing jobs in the last week. Yesterdays job I even managed to get  back and resand at the end of the day.

The rest of the days I filled up with fascia/ soffits and a conservatory clean
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Jim Barrett

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 07:17:31 pm »
My issue is because my machine is van mounted if we get a particularly cold night it does freeze a bit.

I’m guessing I’m in the same boat as you, quite new to the game with a van mounted setup.

I also stopped pushing driveways over the winter months (this is part time for me) but I’ve had a couple of jobs and wouldn’t turn them down.

When done, I drain the system then run some anti-freeze through the system until next time.

Bit of a ball ache but you either want the work or you don’t.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 07:53:02 am »
My machine is van mounted I also gave an open trailer unit. The van get a heater put in overnight if it’s going to be a heavy frost, although a few times I’ve been caught out and the morning has been below zero but it wasn’t cold enough to penetrate the van and get to the pump.

The trailer gets a blanket wrapped around the pump then a double skin of waterproof sheeting put completely  over it.  I’m lucky that live near the coast so get protected against extreme low temps
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

cohen

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 08:05:08 pm »
I have 2 van mounts I wrap the pump in winter with a cheap double duvet..and towels so it’s all nicely tucked in..no issues in ten years…I always make sure that I fully empty the pump and bypass valve by running on idle for 2-3 mins on finishing
I never turn down work at any time of year if it’s safe and do able!!
Feb is v v busy for me on commercial work not done over last 2 years due to coronovires
This season will be crazy

Yada Yada Yada - www.m-clean.uk

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 09:55:30 am »
Get a 20 litre drum of antifreeze, store 5 litres from the drum, put your inlet pipe in, put the outlet pipe in, switch the machine on, creating a loop, pure antifreeze.

Or get the same drum, with a spare 20 litre drum, do a mix to suit and repeat.

Yada Yada Yada - www.m-clean.uk

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2022, 07:03:59 pm »
Just to add to this.

Been working in January and most of this month.

Not quite as cold as last year, never froze & no chance of freezing this year.

Probably go down to minus 5 or more before it affects a van mount set up.

I'm parking all over the country overnight and nothing for years.

Have had the machine freeze up but as Henry says with a heater in there overnight it will keep the cold off.

If I knew it was going to be in the minuses there'd be a 20 litre antifreeze drum in the back.