van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Evan

Gutter cleaning advice
« on: January 21, 2022, 03:11:34 pm »
I’m after some tips and advice with regards to gutter cleaning with gutter vac. Never done it before but thinking of buying one. It obviously needs plugging in…is it a ball ache if the job doesn’t have outdoor electric supply? Do you always have to use extension lead? Any more tips and advice would be much appreciated cheers.

Spruce

Re: Gutter cleaning advice
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 03:39:18 pm »
I’m after some tips and advice with regards to gutter cleaning with gutter vac. Never done it before but thinking of buying one. It obviously needs plugging in…is it a ball ache if the job doesn’t have outdoor electric supply? Do you always have to use extension lead? Any more tips and advice would be much appreciated cheers.

Plenty of help videos on Youtube.

Job done when customer is in if there is no outsider power point using own cable drum extension with rcd protection. Otherwise invest in a generator. Suggest 5.5kva due to high starting current demands by vacuum motors.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 03:48:31 pm »
Get a genny.

I know many don’t use one, but if you want the freedom to do it as and when it’s essential also cuts out the faff of waiting for the customer to sort out a socket

Get carbon fibre tubes
Invest in a solid gooseneck - these allow you to be firmer with the crud growing in the gutter and you can push back slipped tiles allowing you to clear easily

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

SB Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 04:30:56 pm »

Plenty of help videos on Youtube.

Job done when customer is in if there is no outsider power point using own cable drum extension with rcd protection. Otherwise invest in a generator. Suggest 5.5kva due to high starting current demands by vacuum motors.
I agree with Spruce

I've been using gutter vacs for 12 years and never had a problem using customers electric..

Sod lugging a generator about  ;D

Evan

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 04:43:14 pm »
Looking at the 1700w panther it comes with light aluminium anyone got one? Are the poles light enough? And what height is advisable?

SB Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 04:51:59 pm »
Looking at the 1700w panther it comes with light aluminium anyone got one? Are the poles light enough? And what height is advisable?
Don't bother with ally poles you will only regret it and buy carbon later..
And 1700w isn't enough power imo..3000w min

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 05:50:14 pm »
Get a genny.

I know many don’t use one, but if you want the freedom to do it as and when it’s essential also cuts out the faff of waiting for the customer to sort out a socket

Get carbon fibre tubes
Invest in a solid gooseneck - these allow you to be firmer with the crud growing in the gutter and you can push back slipped tiles allowing you to clear easily

Darran

I agree with him investing in a gen set if this is going to be his core business.

I have just managed to squeeze my Vacuum cleaner into a small corner of the van and strapped the pipes along the top of the headboard.

Mine is a 1500 watt with a smaller diamt pipe. When I enquired with the manufacturer of the vacuum cleaner they did a lot of start tests for me. One of the starts was 5kw so they recommended a 5.5kva generator. That's heavy and takes up a fair bit of floor space. I also don't use the gutter vac often enough to warrant buying a generator.
For me I just pre-arrange a convenient time to clean gutters. If they aren't going to be in, I arrange for an extension cable to be left out. I also have my own cable drum on the van.

There was a supplier who used to sell 1400 watt vacuum cleaners and said a 2kva generator was big enough to power his unit. In all the years I worked for Bosch on construction sites, we sold a 2.2 kva gen set for smaller tools under 1000 watt and anything above was 5.5kva. So our 1800 watt electric jack hammer needed a 5.5kva to power it.

If he is going to offer this as a service then I would recommend a 3000 watt unit with large bore carbon fibre poles. I would also have the cyclone inlet modification done.
See GVS (Gutter Vacuum Systems) units and their many Youtube videos o/p.

One thing suppliers never tell you about is how long it takes to clean the equipment properly after each clean.

james peters

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 06:15:14 pm »

as has been said , get carbon fibre poles.
I have a gutter sucker , which is the same company that does the sky vac
I dont do a huge amount of gutters , but I have found it adequate

Splash & dash

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 06:43:53 pm »

Gutter suckers is nothing to do with sky vac .

SB Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 07:18:36 pm »

I think it is the same company..

Skinner

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 07:49:21 pm »
Gutter vacs are great on some jobs but sometimes it's way quicker just to get up and clean by hand.
If I  use a gutter vac  on anything you still need to get up a ladder and check all  S bends are clear .

deeege

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 08:14:39 pm »
Some of the prices being pushed by the local new gutter vac lads on FB are ridiculous. Talking £35-£40 for a 4 or 5 bed property and they are all undercutting each other to get the work.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

SB Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 08:15:24 pm »
Gutter vacs are great on some jobs but sometimes it's way quicker just to get up and clean by hand.
If I  use a gutter vac  on anything you still need to get up a ladder and check all  S bends are clear .
You don't need  to get up a ladder to check a S bend ! If it's blocked then sometimes yes.

Skinner

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 08:34:19 pm »
How can you ever tell stood on the floor with a gutter vac the S bend is blocked???
Even the best camera in world can't see around corners.   They all need checking by hand.

Splash & dash

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 08:51:30 pm »
How can you ever tell stood on the floor with a gutter vac the S bend is blocked???
Even the best camera in world can't see around corners.   They all need checking by hand.

All you need to do is put the end tool in the top of the s bend if you can feel suction at the bottom of the pipe it’s not blocked , if it’s into a soak away just put a little water down the pipe you will hear it trickling down the pipe if it’s clear  nothing will be heard if it’s blocked., simple really

SB Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 05:31:34 am »

All you need to do is put the end tool in the top of the s bend if you can feel suction at the bottom of the pipe it’s not blocked , if it’s into a soak away just put a little water down the pipe you will hear it trickling down the pipe if it’s clear  nothing will be heard if it’s blocked., simple really
^^That's how it's done Skinner ;)

Mike Burd

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 07:26:56 am »

Yes they are. Both sold by Spinaclean. HTH.  ;D

james peters

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 08:05:20 am »

Its spinaclean.   the poles for my gutter sucker are skyvac poles also.
the gutter sucker came in spinaclean box

Splash & dash

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 09:04:33 am »

Its spinaclean.   the poles for my gutter sucker are skyvac poles also.
the gutter sucker came in spinaclean box

Seams strange as last time I spoke to Rob at spinner clean I asked him and he said the two companies are not linked in any way ???????

Spruce

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 09:12:53 am »

My million dollar tip as a sole trader.

If you see yourself having a full window cleaning schedule without an add-on of gutter clearing, then don't offer it. In the early days, when we didn't have enough work, we offered all the regular add-ons. Now I wish we had said no and spent the time canvassing for more window cleaning accounts.

There are a few cleaners in our area who won't clear out gutters. At one time, I was horrified why anyone would turn down work, but I now understand why they stopped offering this service. Now there are a couple of businesses just offering gutter clearing services. I'm quite happy to rather let them quote for doing it.

Smudger

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2022, 11:00:29 am »
Well said splash and sb - those going up all the time don’t have the correct equipment or technique

Last year gutter clears were worth 55k  ( that’s gutters only not part of a bigger clean - if we had to go up every time it would just defeat the object of using a vac and mean having 2 men on the job

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Stoots

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2022, 11:35:31 am »
I have a gutter sucker junior, which isnt the most powerfull but the poles are really lightweight.

Very rarely use it but did so last week on a job. the entire gutters were clear except for a 1m length which was chocka with stuff growing out.

Got it out i did but was there 30 mins on it and it was less sucking but more whacking it lol

I did a video as it was quite amusing, if i had ladders it would have been cleared in 5 mins.

No doubt a top of the range vac would have performed the task a lot easier.

My main worry with having no ladders is what happens when you knock an end cap off or pole comes apart and lands on the extension roof (both of which ive done  :D) . Ive also knocked them swan neck downpipe things off when doing fsg and without a ladder sometimes its just impossible to rectify.

Splash & dash

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2022, 11:43:15 am »
I have a gutter sucker junior, which isnt the most powerfull but the poles are really lightweight.

Very rarely use it but did so last week on a job. the entire gutters were clear except for a 1m length which was chocka with stuff growing out.

Got it out i did but was there 30 mins on it and it was less sucking but more whacking it lol

I did a video as it was quite amusing, if i had ladders it would have been cleared in 5 mins.

No doubt a top of the range vac would have performed the task a lot easier.

My main worry with having no ladders is what happens when you knock an end cap off or pole comes apart and lands on the extension roof (both of which ive done  :D) . Ive also knocked them swan neck downpipe things off when doing fsg and without a ladder sometimes its just impossible to rectify.

From time to time ladders will be needed in our line of work  you always have tk be prepared for the unexpected.

Smudger

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2022, 11:44:23 am »
End caps being knocked off - 1 in a few hundred poles coming apart never on standard stuff - once only on a 4 storey but I now have a fix for that 😇

Darran

Stoots

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2022, 11:47:47 am »
End caps being knocked off - 1 in a few hundred poles coming apart never on standard stuff - once only on a 4 storey but I now have a fix for that 😇

Darran

I must be clumsy because ive probably done less than 20 gutter vac jobs over the years, very rarely do them and dont promote it.

Ive had poles come apart on a flat roof extension and had to scramble up on a wheelie bin lol

Ive knocked a couple of end caps off too.

Funny game is gutter cleaning, ive had some horrible jobs that took forever with the vac as gutters were chocka but on the flip side ive had some that took 5/10 mins running the vac around a 3 bed semi that was totally clear for 60 quid.

Smudger

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2022, 11:53:18 am »
Like anything else it’s down to experience and equipment

We’re currently doing our “regulars” which are cleared every year - none take longer than 20 mins and one guy does 15 in a day

Darran

Splash & dash

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2022, 12:03:35 pm »

Darran

I must be clumsy because ive probably done less than 20 gutter vac jobs over the years, very rarely do them and dont promote it.

Ive had poles come apart on a flat roof extension and had to scramble up on a wheelie bin lol

Ive knocked a couple of end caps off too.

Funny game is gutter cleaning, ive had some horrible jobs that took forever with the vac as gutters were chocka but on the flip side ive had some that took 5/10 mins running the vac around a 3 bed semi that was totally clear for 60 quid.

Lol sounds like you better stick to window Cleaning , we vac tens of thousands of meters every year never had poles come apart , as for  knocking ends off that s down to wrong Technics start at the gutter end and work away from it , when quoting a job always put the camera up so there are no nasty surprises when you come to do the job , we love it and earn very good money from it .

JandS

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2022, 01:00:22 pm »
I always go quote for these.....stick the GoPro on the pole, mobile on the bottom of the pole  and you get a good idea,  and you can also take pictures, and, if they are in , show customer live what's up there.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

robbo333

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2022, 05:41:23 pm »

It depends on so many different things:
1. Are you going to be doing it full time, or just the odd few job for your custys.
2. Are they high buildings or just a 3 bedroom semi.
3. How much room do you have in your van.
4. what is your budget and more importantly what is your expected turnover for the year.
5. Customer electrics is never a problem for me, but get a good extension lead and a separate RCD for added safety.
Perhaps you could borrow a gutter vac from a mate to try, or maybe hire one and you will see the problems for yourself.
Also a camera is good (it's a good selling point for customers).

"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Spruce

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2022, 09:57:16 pm »

1. Are you going to be doing it full time, or just the odd few job for your custys.
4. what is your budget and more importantly what is your expected turnover for the year.
5. Customer electrics is never a problem for me, but get a good extension lead and a separate RCD for added safety.
Perhaps you could borrow a gutter vac from a mate to try, or maybe hire one and you will see the problems for yourself.

Definitely. You need a camera to see what you are doing.

I always go quote for these.....stick the GoPro on the pole, mobile on the bottom of the pole  and you get a good idea,  and you can also take pictures, and, if they are in , show customer live what's up there.

The trouble is that if there is a clear gutter because it's running correctly and you involve the customer, he could ask for a price reduction as there was nothing to clear. Got that Tee shirt.

Now, we don't offer a customer pre-inspection and I have removed the sd card from the viewer/monitor screen, so I can't record any work done. The cleans are done when the customer is around as we need an extension cable. They can see we have worked all the gutters.

If they ask after the job is complete, I will tell them that there wasn't much muck in that gutter, but this gutter was full. We leave evidence of how much we vacuumed out in a convenient flower bed.

I watched a gutter clearance franchisee working across the road from us. I have no idea how much he charged, but he spent at least half an hour doing a survey and showing the customer what was in his gutters. He got the job and left a while later. The home owner never asked for another 'survey' to ensure the gutters had been cleared properly. I was a bit puzzled by that tbh.

Smudger

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2022, 04:28:53 pm »

Definitely. You need a camera to see what you are doing.

The trouble is that if there is a clear gutter because it's running correctly and you involve the customer, he could ask for a price reduction as there was nothing to clear. Got that Tee shirt.

Now, we don't offer a customer pre-inspection and I have removed the sd card from the viewer/monitor screen, so I can't record any work done. The cleans are done when the customer is around as we need an extension cable. They can see we have worked all the gutters.

If they ask after the job is complete, I will tell them that there wasn't much muck in that gutter, but this gutter was full. We leave evidence of how much we vacuumed out in a convenient flower bed.

I watched a gutter clearance franchisee working across the road from us. I have no idea how much he charged, but he spent at least half an hour doing a survey and showing the customer what was in his gutters. He got the job and left a while later. The home owner never asked for another 'survey' to ensure the gutters had been cleared properly. I was a bit puzzled by that tbh.

Exactly - I will show them clear gutters after if they insist

Darran