van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Karl1991

Setting up at the start
« on: March 07, 2022, 06:59:44 am »
Hi All

This is mainly aimed at those who knew they wanted to grow the business to a multi-van operation from the start..

Just curious if you started as VAT registered and direct debits in place when you first started? Or did you change to this when at the threshold?

I ask as I can imagine it being quite a lot of hassle trying to charge existing customers VAT etc and introducing direct debits, which could lead to losing a fair few customers. Also by the time you want to register the company name it could be taken! I feel if you had everything in place when you started it would look more professional in the long run, albeit a higher cost initially.

Just wondered how those of you who employ have gone about it.

Ascjim

Re: Setting up at the start
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 07:53:49 am »
I only went VAT reg when I had to. It may take a few years under VAT threshold, no point giving the government money when you don't have to.

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 09:50:07 am »
Don't go VAT until you have to

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 01:52:40 pm »
If you start off Vat registered don’t spend Rishi’s money in between times will you,he gives it out but he wants some back in the end.

Ched

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 04:21:44 pm »
Don't register till you need to but add the 20% to your prices from day 1 otherwise you might lose existing customers when you suddenly increase their prices  by 20%

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 10:15:59 pm »
I would definitely recommend being 100% DD from the start. It saves you problems in the future and is a massive bonus growing a business as you have decent cash flow right from there off

And like that others say don’t get VAT registered till you need to.
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Karl1991

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 06:34:36 am »
Thanks for the advice fellas much appreciated, sounds like I was making a rod for my own back with the VAT.

Richard- in relation to DD, what do you do for one-off jobs, bank transfer or card machine at the job?

Richard iSparkle

Re: Setting up at the start New
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 06:52:32 am »
Thanks for the advice fellas much appreciated, sounds like I was making a rod for my own back with the VAT.

Richard- in relation to DD, what do you do for one-off jobs, bank transfer or card machine at the job?

we use stripe and make them pay in full upfront to book the job in.

it saves a lot of issues... mostly obviously late payment or even non payment... but also we used to turn up for a job and the customer was out and forgotten to leave the door unlocked, or would cancel on the day or something... that literally hasn't happened for 7 years... making them pay upfront focusses their mind!

if its a one off clean for a regular customer (ie. conny roof, gutter clean etc) we just add the full cost onto their next DD payment
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk