van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian Foxall

Softwashing surfactant?
« on: January 21, 2022, 03:31:39 am »
Hi Forum,
I’m doing some softwashing in the next couple of weeks and have a question about what to use as surfactant.
I was given a tip to use supermarket bleach as the surfactant as it’s basically low concentration hypo, with surfactant and scent.
Anyone see any downside/issues to using it?
I would buy some “proper” stuff, but I’m not doing a lot and don’t need to buy huge quantities.
Cheers 👍

Mike Halliday

Re: Softwashing surfactant?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 06:41:08 am »
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 08:30:39 am »
 By proper stuff - supermarket bleach is so weak you will not get the best results - it’s ok for a maintenance  clean

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 03:30:11 pm »
Fairy liquid will work or buy this…..

https://mistralni.co.uk/collections/surfactants/products/lauryl-dimethylamine-oxide-lao

Fairy liquid should not be added to bleach it’s dangerous and illegal do some  research and you will be shocked . 
Bonnymans sell surfactants that are safe and legal to use and only cost £20 for 5 ltr you just add 300 ml to a neat drum of hypo so it’s cheap as chips ,

Ian Foxall

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 03:47:15 pm »
Hi, thanks for the replies.

By proper stuff - supermarket bleach is so weak you will not get the best results - it’s ok for a maintenance  clean

Darran

I’ve got a 10l can of hypo from a mate, that’s all sorted.
I was trying not to buy anything that needs more costs in postage, so was hoping that the supermarket bleach would just be the surfactant.
By weak, did you mean the hypo content, or weak as in the ability to do the job?
Thanks 👍

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 04:24:20 pm »
Both

Softwashing jobs should be in the hundreds - therefore a few ££ on surfactant shouldn’t really be an issue

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Ian Foxall

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 08:50:25 am »
Both

Softwashing jobs should be in the hundreds - therefore a few ££ on surfactant shouldn’t really be an issue

Darran

Thanks, I’d wondered about costs for the jobs!
I’m only doing my own property, so I was looking for a way of doing it without having to spend loads on a product that would be left laying about.
If the right stuff is only the right stuff, then that’s what I’ll get!
Thanks again everyone 👍