This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Simon Trapani

Re: Accident - Should I pay half?
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2021, 03:46:30 pm »
What’s lol about that nwh? It’s a pedestrian manhole cover on a driveway. Driveways are for vehicles. Clue’s in the title. That should be a manhole cover with a vehicle rating. I’ve crushed a    customer’s pedestrian one myself. Never even offered to replace it as it shouldn’t be there in the first place. Op has done nothing wrong. If he had then he should offer to pay but he hasn’t.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2021, 03:48:00 pm »
If I went onto anyone’s property and caused any damage I would be responsible for it in my eyes,if I’d noticed it was damaged before then that would be different ie that cover was already badly damaged-dented.
There’s no way I could do that on someone’s drive and think that’s their fault lol.
But it is the customers fault tho isn’t it. They have installed the wrong type of manhole cover on their drive, it quite clearly isn’t load rated.

Tom-01

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2021, 04:14:27 pm »
What’s lol about that nwh? It’s a pedestrian manhole cover on a driveway. Driveways are for vehicles. Clue’s in the title. That should be a manhole cover with a vehicle rating. I’ve crushed a    customer’s pedestrian one myself. Never even offered to replace it as it shouldn’t be there in the first place. Op has done nothing wrong. If he had then he should offer to pay but he hasn’t.

Exactly Simon. The couple of times we have accidentally damaged something we have always covered the cost as it’s our fault - this clearly isn’t our fault.

Don Kee

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2021, 04:15:47 pm »
If I went onto anyone’s property and caused any damage I would be responsible for it in my eyes,if I’d noticed it was damaged before then that would be different ie that cover was already badly damaged-dented.
There’s no way I could do that on someone’s drive and think that’s their fault lol.

You don’t help yourself, do you?

Simon Trapani

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2021, 04:29:08 pm »
Tom, try not to fall out with the customer but you need to be assertive and explain the different weight ratings of manhole covers. His is on a driveway so should support vehicles.

dazmond

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2021, 05:55:40 pm »
let us all know how you get on tom......theres no way a manhole cover should do that to your vehicle.......its a cheap pedestrian one.......he should of got a proper manhole cover fitted  4 years ago if its on his driveway....

its HIS responsibility...  NOT yours......
price higher/work harder!

Tom-01

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2021, 06:14:19 pm »
Hey everyone

Thanks so much for all your replies - it’s been a great help.

Here is the message I sent my customer earlier today - with no reply as yet (18:00).

Hi Mr Clark

I’ve done a little bit of research and it seems the manhole cover that was fitted four years ago is for pedestrian traffic only, and not fit for purpose for vehicular traffic. The pedestrian ones are very cheap at just over £20, whereas the proper one used for driveways and car parks is over £85.

It may be an idea to speak to the guys who fitted it originally as it seems they have supplied the wrong one for a driveway, and possibly make sure they fit the correct one this time.

I have checked my vehicle and fortunately there is no damage to it.

Here is a link for the pedestrian one:

https://www.diy.com/departments/clark-rectangular-framed-5t-manhole-cover-l-600mm-w-450mm-t-23mm/35640_BQ.prd?storeId=1132&ds_rl=1272379&ds_rl=1272409&ds_rl=1272379&gclid=CjwKCAjw-sqKBhBjEiwAVaQ9a618nhnmckivZelF7ucGBauU3ZLxdr8zipMv4KTP44uFmJG8QhMp3xoC0M4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And here is the one that should be used for car parks, driveways etc:

https://www.drainagesuperstore.co.uk/product/manhole-cover-and-frame-600l-x-450w-x-41h-cast-iron-b125-class.html

Thanks
Tom

Slacky

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2021, 06:21:23 pm »
No cosmetic damage to the vehicle.

NWH

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2021, 07:33:39 pm »
Me personally would have replaced it.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2021, 08:30:22 pm »
I wouldn't of drove on it in the first place.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2021, 08:56:33 pm »
Why? Do you avoid the cracks in the pavement also? So you think you shouldn’t be able to drive over a manhole cover?🙄

Bin Juice

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2021, 09:18:12 pm »
only an idiot would drive over that type of manhole  cover, its obvious from the pitures it wouldnt support a 2 ton van

AuRavelling79

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2021, 09:28:55 pm »
only an idiot would drive over that type of manhole  cover, its obvious from the pitures it wouldnt support a 2 ton van

Only an idiot would put a pedestrian manhole cover in a driveway.
It's a game of three halves!

Tom-01

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2021, 09:37:52 pm »

If it was me driving and I’d seen it I may have tried to avoid. But if I didn’t see it what could I do?

The guy driving just turned up on a customers driveway to do a job, and as others have pointed out only an idiot would put a pedestrian manhole cover on a driveway - if it’s there, on a driveway, expect it to be driven on.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2021, 10:24:33 pm »
I have a man hole cover in my drive, in fact where it’s positioned I more or less park on it every night. It’s the type that you mono block on top of.

CleanClear

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2021, 10:50:57 pm »

Do you think someone didn't do a proper risk assesment ?  ;D
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Gringo

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2021, 02:37:32 pm »
Well put your reply Tom, professional courteous and ps I won't be paying for your cheapskate cover,
Would love to have seen his face while reading it, bet he spat his brew out, thought he was doing you a favour by paying the other 50% ;D
Let us know his reply, b

Smudger

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2021, 10:42:39 pm »
I agree that this cover is not fit for purpose - generally speaking you wouldn't be expecting an unsafe/substandard cover in the drive,

unless of course he had a big sign :  "Warning - substandard drain cover max load 1 person"

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

AuRavelling79

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2021, 11:46:55 am »
Any developments Tom?
It's a game of three halves!

Tom-01

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2021, 12:31:50 pm »
The customer read my WhatsApp message but I never got a reply, so I think it’s safe to say he knows I won’t be paying anything towards the repair.

He’s quite a grumpy old boy so I wasn’t really expecting a reply.

Thanks for all your input guys!