This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

stuartb

Website builder?
« on: September 20, 2021, 03:13:09 pm »
Hi folks,
Just choosing a website builder such as Godaddy or something similar.
Any recommendations?
Stu

Ched

Re: Website builder?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 04:41:58 pm »
Hi folks,
Any recommendations?
Stu
Don't use wix! Be aware that if you use something like GoDaddy, HostGator, Wix you can't then transfer it to another host as it's their software that builds your site!!!
Have a look at WordPress as it's fairly easy and lots of tutorials online.
What ever you chose unless you learn seo (search engine optomisation) it might not get you much work unless you put links on your leaflets, van etc so people can see more about you.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 08:43:16 am »
WordPress is 100% the best option for the majority of people.

It's easy to use, has MASSIVE support as it powers almost 40% of all websites on the planet - and because of this there are endless add-ons, plugins, themes, and Youtube tutorials to help you along.

There are constant updates/upgrades - and if you need any special feature, chances are high that you're not the first and someone has already built a plugin that will do exactly what you need off the shelf.

Also - it's easy to move the site if you ever move hosting.

The only thing I would say is to avoid free themes - a paid theme that gets regular compatibility & security updates is essential.

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 10:16:19 am »
WordPress

However that said, I wouldn't bother it will take many many months of practice to get anywhere near a half decent looking site.

If you just want to rank, fine, should be easy enough. But if you want it to look good just pay someone.

I've built quite a few and ranked them but always look just ok.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 10:56:16 am »
WordPress

However that said, I wouldn't bother it will take many many months of practice to get anywhere near a half decent looking site.

If you just want to rank, fine, should be easy enough. But if you want it to look good just pay someone.

If you spend £50 or so on a premium theme, you can get a really decent-looking website with a lot less work.

WordPress has come a long way in recent years and is quite intuitive to use - then page builders like Elementor or WP Bakery make it even easier again.

It's powerful enough to be used by professionals and some HUGE companies, but simple enough that most ppl can design a basic site in a couple of weeks.

I build websites myself - I've not cleaned a window in years. I'd be trying to sell my services if this was a complicated job, but you can genuinely DIY it these days and often not notice the difference. Because of this, I've focused my online services more on forms/databases/quote calculators etc which are a bit more complex.

HampshireWindowCleaning

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 06:44:14 pm »
Hi folks,
Any recommendations?
Stu
Don't use wix! Be aware that if you use something like GoDaddy, HostGator, Wix you can't then transfer it to another host as it's their software that builds your site!!!
What ever you chose unless you learn seo (search engine optomisation) it might not get you much work unless you put links on your leaflets, van etc so people can see more about you.
Why do you say don't use Wix?
I built my site on there in 2013 and it costs £8 a month. I reckon 90% of my round is from enquiries through the website.

Stoots

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 06:42:36 am »
WordPress

If you spend £50 or so on a premium theme, you can get a really decent-looking website with a lot less work.

WordPress has come a long way in recent years and is quite intuitive to use - then page builders like Elementor or WP Bakery make it even easier again.

It's powerful enough to be used by professionals and some HUGE companies, but simple enough that most ppl can design a basic site in a couple of weeks.

I build websites myself - I've not cleaned a window in years. I'd be trying to sell my services if this was a complicated job, but you can genuinely DIY it these days and often not notice the difference. Because of this, I've focused my online services more on forms/databases/quote calculators etc which are a bit more complex.

Can you build me a automated quote form for my website?

So customers fill in what type of house etc and it calculates the price ?

Tried a few plug ins to do this on WordPress to no avail think I need something custom.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 07:52:09 am »

Can you build me a automated quote form for my website?

So customers fill in what type of house etc and it calculates the price ?

Tried a few plug ins to do this on WordPress to no avail think I need something custom.

If your website runs on WordPress, then yes.
I use a plugin called Formidable Forms - its perfect for that type of thing.

Ched

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 05:17:50 pm »
Hi folks,
Any recommendations?
Stu
Why do you say don't use Wix?
I built my site on there in 2013 and it costs £8 a month. I reckon 90% of my round is from enquiries through the website.
My main problem with Wix and the like is that it's their own proprietary software. So if they jacked their prices up big time you can't just move the existing site to another hosting company. The few times I have looked a Wix sites the code makes the sites quite slow to load which is one of Googles ranking factors. Bottom line is, if you are getting work from it stick with it.