This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Smudger

Re: Con roof
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2021, 02:36:40 pm »
not to argue with you but your changing what you say - NO ONE would describe these conservatories as Lean to's

if I had quoted a price then thats the price they pay no arriving and changing when I get the unless it was clearly an ESTIMATE

if you quoted a job for £200 and expected it to take 4 hours and they did it in 3 or even 2 - so what ? everyones a winner surely ?

I have a job sheet for each job with a time to complete - they 99 times out of a hundred complete inside this time - they then go onto another job or window cleaning - or thats there only job for the day - sometimes its nice to give the lads a short working day - it doesn't cost me anything

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Mike Burd

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2021, 03:24:28 pm »
not to argue with you but your changing what you say - NO ONE would describe these conservatories as Lean to's

if I had quoted a price then thats the price they pay no arriving and changing when I get the unless it was clearly an ESTIMATE

if you quoted a job for £200 and expected it to take 4 hours and they did it in 3 or even 2 - so what ? everyones a winner surely ?

I have a job sheet for each job with a time to complete - they 99 times out of a hundred complete inside this time - they then go onto another job or window cleaning - or thats there only job for the day - sometimes its nice to give the lads a short working day - it doesn't cost me anything

Darran
I suspect it’s a scale thing and I’m sure it works for you. If we went to quote every job in the size of area we cover we’d be quoting all day every day. It’s not practical for us and it works just fine.

Smudger

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2021, 03:46:39 pm »
i'm sure it is a scale thing - I cover only an area of 50 square miles - but thats my role to quote  every day  :)

for me its about maximizing the return per job, using a standardised quote system would result in approx 30% income  loss (based on your £6 a panel) for the majority or work
(edited: as I missed the word loss !)
Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Mike Burd

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2021, 04:36:56 pm »
i'm sure it is a scale thing - I cover only an area of 50 square miles - but thats my role to quote  every day  :)

for me its about maximizing the return per job, using a standardised quote system would result in approx 30% income (based on your £6 a panel) for the majority or work

Darran
We charge about £90 on average a conservatory roof. Most are about 14 panels. If you’re getting £270 on average I take my hat off to you. On average I would guess they take an hour. I can only dream of £270 an hour.

Smudger

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2021, 05:50:45 pm »
where do you get £270 from ?

Darran

Mike Burd

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2021, 06:08:42 pm »
where do you get £270 from ?

Darran
Your figures. You said you’d only get 30% of your income if you only charged £6 per panel. I rounded it to 33% and multiplied our average of £90 by three. Perhaps I’ve misread what you wrote.

Smudger

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2021, 06:16:59 pm »
sorry, 30% loss - not get 30%
 my bad for cr@ppy typing skills  ;D

Darran

Mike Burd

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2021, 06:27:38 pm »
sorry, 30% loss - not get 30%
 my bad for cr@ppy typing skills  ;D

Darran
Ah…. I’m sure we could charge more for some. But we’re pretty clear on our leaflets that prices assume nothing unusual although people often don’t read the small print.

But our leaflet pricing isn’t a guaranteed price. We’ll put prices up on the day if we need to. Or not do a job if it’s too awkward on the day. For example turf growing out of gutters over a conny, or hedgehogs in gutters etc. I don’t have this matter of honour thing. We’ll walk if we don’t like it.

Smudger

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2021, 07:12:12 pm »
its not a matter of honour - its about a quote which ( and I believe is still correct ) are allowed to change the price - an estimate is just that a guide price subject to change

personally I wouldn't want the fuss of changing a price on the day ( maybe different if I was still on the tools ) or wasting the time walking away

Darran

Mike Burd

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2021, 07:49:42 pm »
its not a matter of honour - its about a quote which ( and I believe is still correct ) are allowed to change the price - an estimate is just that a guide price subject to change

personally I wouldn't want the fuss of changing a price on the day ( maybe different if I was still on the tools ) or wasting the time walking away

Darran
We have a price list with disclaimers so it’s probably neither a quote nor an estimate in that sense. It’s easy enough to change on the day if it’s not right, but very rarely- if at all does the price not work for us on conservatories. Worst case there’s an access issue and we can’t reach every panel. Might be because we need to get next door for example and we just clean the Windows and rebook the conservatory for next time.

There is the very rare one where the roof slopes towards the house and there’s no side access. We would just not do it or by agreement just clean the panels we can.

The main point is we just don’t have the capability to quote anything in the flesh. I’ve a guy dealing with all enquiries full time now and he does go out and look at very large commercials. I wouldn’t bother myself last year or the year before. We were overwhelmed and it wasn’t worth the time for me. I’d just in those circumstances give an actual estimate based on photos to be confirmed on the day.