van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Carl2009

It's a long time since I posted so hello again. Bear with me.

I started in 2009 and have a great business. Same van, same Pure Freedon set up (2 man, RO/DI, 500l tank - been fan-tastic). Yesterday I had a "runaway" in my van - I didn't know what one was and it was pretty scary and dramatic (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4rMfrERpG8 for an example). The result may be a dead engine. Given age of van and it's value I might decide to scrap it and get another vehicle.

I could put the old system which is in perfect 100% working order and is frankly fine in a replacement (used) van, but I don't have the engineering skills and I don't know anybody locally. It's £850 for Pure Freedom to swap 'em over and they are in Grimsby and I'm in Pembrokeshire.

Pure Freedom has a 2 month wait on tanks at the moment if I want a new system from them in a replacement van.

I was considering installing a new Ionic Triton system in a replacement van - they are in Swindon and it's much easier for me, plus if they don't have a backorder issue I'm up and running quickly again - a BIG consideration.

So can fire away with thoughts as to what you'd do (I'm realistically 5 years off retirement) and let me know what you think of Ionics' Triton system. Bear in mind too I might (might) have a 500l 2-man RO/DI system for sale pretty soon, so register your interest with me here. Also if the van is a scrapper it will be available for breaking - 2006 Trafic SL27 DCi 100.

Hit me guys and keep safe and well.

Pete Thompson

Re: My van "blew up" yesterday. Latest opinions as to Ionics Triton needed.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 08:28:06 am »
I have no experience of Pure Freedom, but I do have an ionic system.  The ‘Triton’ system is one of their pure2o range (mine is their delivery system, I think they call it Hydros).

Absolutely top notch piece of kit. They installed it in a day, including the Line-X floor. Like you say, there was no waiting around, as soon as my new van arrived they were ready to install (I too went to Swindon). I chose Ionic because I knew it was top quality and their pure2o range is not substantially more expensive than others. Plus they’re crash-tested.

I can only speak from my own experience, but I’ve had not a single thing go wrong, or lost a single day due to system down-time.  I would highly recommend.

No way would I be waiting around for 2 months! That would cost me several times the cost of the system in lost work.

One thing I would say, definitely get electric hose reels. This has transformed my work day. They’re expensive but they pay for themselves

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 08:37:41 am »
If I wanted to treat myself to a new system and van then I would.

I'd check the economics. If you have a few years to go then I would have the old system in a replacement van IF that can be done in a couple of weeks, rather than a new system taking 2 months.

Why spend five figures on a system when yours is fine?

Get the van diagnosed. If it's scrap, then my money would go to a replacement vehicle rather than a replacement system.

Mind you I run a DIY set up and paying 10k for something that only costs £1k in materials makes me blanch. A local engineers could fit it much cheaper.

If down time is a worry take a fortnight off to organise it and tell any important customers you will be late.
It's a game of three halves!

NBwcs

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 09:02:11 am »
1st I've heard of a "runaway",  I can imagine it was quite frightening, how long was your van pouring out smoke?

Pete Thompson

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 09:05:06 am »

Five figures?

A 500 litre Triton system is £3,700 incl fitting.

If down time is a worry take a fortnight off

Even if you only earn £250 a day, a fortnight off has cost you £2,500.

Carl2009

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 09:23:42 am »
1st I've heard of a "runaway",  I can imagine it was quite frightening, how long was your van pouring out smoke?

5 minutes ish. On a blind bend with fog and visibility down to 10m... What a day.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 09:42:33 am »

Five figures?

Fair do's. I read Ionics saw the £ signs and didn't realise the OP's Ionics Triton was actually their Pure2o range.

As for the fortnight off I meant Carl is likely to spend that diagnosing old van and getting a replacement van and a fitted system or putting his old system in a replacement van. Or getting a local engineers to do it.

It was more a chill and organise comment rather than a 'must get going immediately' comment.

To me the van is a priority. I would get that sorted first. And have my perfectly OK system put in it. The system replacement even at £3,700 is not necessary and I would put that into my new(er) van.

I would go brand new on the van with an eye to converting it to a camper when I retired!

brianbarber

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 09:45:34 am »
Go Ionics
Massive company
Plenty of stock
Pony up the dough

You’ll be happy and be back working

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

Carl2009

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 09:52:56 am »

Five figures?

Fair do's. I read Ionics saw the £ signs and didn't realise the OP's Ionics Triton was actually their Pure2o range.

As for the fortnight off I meant Carl is likely to spend that diagnosing old van and getting a replacement van and a fitted system or putting his old system in a replacement van. Or getting a local engineers to do it.

It was more a chill and organise comment rather than a 'must get going immediately' comment.

To me the van is a priority. I would get that sorted first. And have my perfectly OK system put in it. The system replacement even at £3,700 is not necessary and I would put that into my new(er) van.

I would go brand new on the van with an eye to converting it to a camper when I retired!

We had a motorhome. Now have a caravan :-)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 10:02:04 am »
I'm sat in mine.  ;D

You don't need a new system.

Keep the system you have, don't waste your loot. Put the loot and the old system in the new van.  ;D

Have a holiday in Pembrokeshire - it's got a brilliant coast line and mountains - while it is fitted.

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2021, 10:54:26 am »
There is nothing to installing a system esp a pure freedom one - if you ask around at the local garage they would swap it over in a couple of hours for a couple of hundred notes

ask yourself why ionics don't have a waiting list !

a new system is always a "nice to have" but is it essential ? - not really

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

SB Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2021, 11:22:13 am »
I have a had the system in my van for 4 years now and it was in my old van for 4 years too...
No need to buy new systems waste of money, I have just replaced bits over the years and added things on  to it.

Splash & dash

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2021, 11:46:06 am »

I started in 2009 and have a great business. Same van, same Pure Freedon set up (2 man, RO/DI, 500l tank - been fan-tastic). Yesterday I had a "runaway" in my van - I didn't know what one was and it was pretty scary and dramatic (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4rMfrERpG8 for an example). The result may be a dead engine. Given age of van and it's value I might decide to scrap it and get another vehicle.

I could put the old system which is in perfect 100% working order and is frankly fine in a replacement (used) van, but I don't have the engineering skills and I don't know anybody locally. It's £850 for Pure Freedom to swap 'em over and they are in Grimsby and I'm in Pembrokeshire.

Pure Freedom has a 2 month wait on tanks at the moment if I want a new system from them in a replacement van.

I was considering installing a new Ionic Triton system in a replacement van - they are in Swindon and it's much easier for me, plus if they don't have a backorder issue I'm up and running quickly again - a BIG consideration.

So can fire away with thoughts as to what you'd do (I'm realistically 5 years off retirement) and let me know what you think of Ionics' Triton system. Bear in mind too I might (might) have a 500l 2-man RO/DI system for sale pretty soon, so register your interest with me here. Also if the van is a scrapper it will be available for breaking - 2006 Trafic SL27 DCi 100.

It’s very easy to stop that put the hand brake on turn off ignition put your foot on the foot brake and put it in gear and let the clutch up instant engine stop

Carl2009

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2021, 01:39:10 pm »
I'm sat in mine.  ;D

Keep the system you have, don't waste your loot. Put the loot and the old system in the new van.  ;D

Have a holiday in Pembrokeshire - it's got a brilliant coast line and mountains - while it is fitted.

It is - I live in Pembrokeshire :-)

Carl2009

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2021, 01:39:57 pm »

It’s very easy to stop that put the hand brake on turn off ignition put your foot on the foot brake and put it in gear and let the clutch up instant engine stop

Yup, so I now understand.

Rogue Trader

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2021, 03:42:59 pm »
Save yourself 4k. Get your local car mechanic to do it. Ionics systems won't make the glass cleaner. I have had one system since 2008 , tho I have swapped the pump and controller a couple of times and it has been in 3 vans ;D latest transplant it is just ratchet strapped down didn't even bother to bolt it in.

Spruce

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2021, 04:42:41 pm »
The first thing I would do is assess the damage.

The most common problem causing a runaway diesel engine is excess oil entering the engine via the turbo charger. A less common cause is the engine over filled with oil.  If you caught the engine in time and stalled it, then you shouldn't have experienced any engine damage and a repair is feasible.

Replacement turbo-charger and a flush out of all the inlet pipes and intercooler if you have one. But if you let it run on until it died its death over revving then the engine is toast.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

SB Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2021, 05:08:54 pm »
Save yourself 4k. Get your local car mechanic to do it. Ionics systems won't make the glass cleaner. I have had one system since 2008 , tho I have swapped the pump and controller a couple of times and it has been in 3 vans ;D latest transplant it is just ratchet strapped down didn't even bother to bolt it in.
This is it, you can spend £500 or £15000 on a system but at the end of the day they will both produce pure water :D

Stoots

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2021, 06:52:16 pm »
I would consider if you would still run a van into retirement.

If you would why not invest in a brand new one, might last you the rest of your life....

With the system, i would just swap it over or sling a D.IY one in. But then the idea of not being able to do this myself is alien to me so my opinion is probably irrelevant.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2021, 07:52:13 pm »
I'm sat in mine.  ;D

It is - I live in Pembrokeshire :-)

Have a holiday on the east coast - it's got a brilliant coastline and you can visit Skegness! 🤣 🤣 🤣

I really need to read more carefully.

Good luck with your deliberations.

Carl2009

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2021, 11:49:47 am »

The most common problem causing a runaway diesel engine is excess oil entering the engine via the turbo charger. A less common cause is the engine over filled with oil.  If you caught the engine in time and stalled it, then you shouldn't have experienced any engine damage and a repair is feasible.

Replacement turbo-charger and a flush out of all the inlet pipes and intercooler if you have one. But if you let it run on until it died its death over revving then the engine is toast.

I am no mechanic and a runaway was totally new to me. I know understand what can cause it and how to stop it. Unfortunately it ran till it died. On the other hand the value was probably £2600 (not including the system and other kit, just the van). I was wondering whether to change or not given I have only 5 years to go, but it needs a new rear axle as torsion bar has gone and maintenance has crept up over the years. In all honesty I probably needed a replacement anyway and this has just forcced my hand.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2021, 06:21:32 pm »

I am no mechanic and a runaway was totally new to me. I know understand what can cause it and how to stop it. Unfortunately it ran till it died. On the other hand the value was probably £2600 (not including the system and other kit, just the van). I was wondering whether to change or not given I have only 5 years to go, but it needs a new rear axle as torsion bar has gone and maintenance has crept up over the years. In all honesty I probably needed a replacement anyway and this has just forcced my hand.
you think that pure freedom has a long waiting list,waiting until you try for a brand new van  ::)roll ::)roll ::)roll :o :o :o :o

simon w

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2021, 07:27:29 pm »

you think that pure freedom has a long waiting list,waiting until you try for a brand new van  ::)roll ::)roll ::)roll :o :o :o :o

I've been waiting since March, deposit paid August delivery date has been moved to Mid November and told anyone ordering new now has a 12 month wait from order to delivery. Price of quality used vans is going to soar while people wait for new.

dazmond

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2021, 07:45:29 am »
i had a brand new van on my driveway within 3 weeks of initial enquiry when i got mine nearly 5 years ago.....how times have changed.... :(
price higher/work harder!