This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jay moley

How long to learn WFP to a good standard?
« on: September 09, 2021, 05:16:51 pm »
Ive taken on a young lad. Seems nice enough, arrives on time, listens to what I say, no attitude problems (so far).

He's only been with me 5 days.

First 3 days I split the time between teaching him/watching him work and doing a bit myself just to speed things up as he is very slow (I expected this). Then I started thinking that he needs to be doing most of the work as he'll learn quicker so the last 2 days Ive just taught and observed apart from a few really difficult windows.

My God its boring. Just watching someone clean windows. Anyway regardless of that this week Ive not even covered the expenses so I cant continue like that next week. I think Im going to have to let him get on with it without my supervision.

How long do you think it takes to really get the hang of WFP?

Any other thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers

richard connett

Re: How long to learn WFP to a good standard?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 05:35:33 pm »
Does your set up allow two users from 1 van?

Bungle

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 06:26:34 pm »
Ive taken on a young lad. Seems nice enough, arrives on time, listens to what I say, no attitude problems (so far).

First 3 days I split the time between teaching him/watching him work and doing a bit myself just to speed things up as he is very slow (I expected this). Then I started thinking that he needs to be doing most of the work as he'll learn quicker so the last 2 days Ive just taught and observed apart from a few really difficult windows.

My God its boring. Just watching someone clean windows. Anyway regardless of that this week Ive not even covered the expenses so I cant continue like that next week. I think Im going to have to let him get on with it without my supervision.

Cheers

How long did it take you and go from there.

I let my lad clean our windows. He was slow but very thorough. If taking someone on be patient with them, remember they don't know anything about the job. It probably looks easy to passers by.
We look at them, they look through them.

Phil J

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 06:32:21 pm »
Speed comes with experience, so if you are happy with his attitude and he's eager to learn just stick with it he'll be competent and quicker before you know it. I remember my first day on the pole and it was really, really slow going.

Ched

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 08:09:28 pm »
If he is doing a good job, be it a slow one then can you not say you do the back and I do front and meet in middle? That way you get more work done and he has a speed target to try and meet you at the half way point. As long as he is doing quality work that is a good foundation to build speed on.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 08:13:33 pm »
I agree that it’s very painful watching someone else learn wfp😂

NBwcs

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 08:16:14 pm »
How longs a piece of string? Some learn quickly some take longer, some like NWH have been cleaning windows for an eternity and still hasn't learnt how to clean windows with cold water. Just hope your lads not as incompetant as Nigel.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 08:20:30 pm »
I agree that it’s very painful watching someone else learn wfp😂
That's why I stay on my own , no one I have seen on the pole has had my skills ;D

james peters

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 09:22:57 pm »
when my daughter started with me , I explained how it worked .
I told her to take her time and just concentrate ., the most important thing was being thorough .
you have to take the hit at first .
she is now realy fast and to a high standard .  ;D

jay moley

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 09:39:17 pm »

Yes

jay moley

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 09:39:57 pm »
Speed comes with experience, so if you are happy with his attitude and he's eager to learn just stick with it he'll be competent and quicker before you know it. I remember my first day on the pole and it was really, really slow going.

I know he will speed up over time so will be patient.

jay moley

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 09:40:19 pm »
If he is doing a good job, be it a slow one then can you not say you do the back and I do front and meet in middle? That way you get more work done and he has a speed target to try and meet you at the half way point. As long as he is doing quality work that is a good foundation to build speed on.

Thats the plan for next week.

Slacky

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2021, 12:33:08 am »
I think it depends on whether you use hot or not. If you don’t you’ll learn a lot quicker  ;D

richard connett

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2021, 08:04:25 am »
I would do the tops, him bottoms then swap
That way you can keep half an eye on him and you can gee him up if needs be. Then you’ll be doing houses next to each other etc etc . I’d give him a couple of weeks

james peters

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2021, 08:08:33 am »
ON the days my daughter works with me , I use the reel, and she uses a back pack. . we have found this the best way .

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2021, 12:23:51 pm »

Cheers

They should be able to do a decent amount of work on their own within a week

Some are up to too speed with me within 5 days

Some take a little longer but are there in 2 weeks and smashing out big numbers
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2021, 03:02:32 pm »
you can learn the technical side in couple of days - learning all the little "tricks of the trade" takes a while longer - the biggest issue we have is them learning the rounds and where to park for best access etc..

in week one the new operator should be proficient in using the pole and the mechanics - they maybe slow but you can work on that  if they are sloppy then get rid - I have yet to get a sloppy worker to be better and more dedicated

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2021, 03:04:15 pm »

Cheers

is that smashing and scratching big numbers on cars  ??? ;D

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2021, 03:20:10 pm »

Cheers

is that smashing and scratching big numbers on cars  ??? ;D

Darran

Haha!  8)
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Ascjim

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2021, 08:45:46 pm »
I think it takes a good 12 months to get fully up to speed.