This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

Which RO system? Help needed please.
« on: July 31, 2021, 07:23:21 pm »
I have been running a Merlin (PRO) Pentair system for several years but have found that the membranes don't last as long as they used to. Input pressure is usually between 55 and 75psi.

When I first bought the system from Gardiners (when they did them) my 250/300ppm in started off at 008/009 out and slowly rose for about a year until I changed it before reaching 020.

The last set only lasted seven months before I changed them at 030 and the latest lot are starting at 025 and so I shall be on to the supplier on Monday.

I know there is the original 350 membrane and the spectrum 750 but the spectrum 750 is no better than the 350.

Anyway - a few questions - Is anyone else using Merlin or PRO Pentair and have you experienced a degrading in quality?

What other RO would you recommend? I have water that is "free" (as in it goes on my house rates not water drawn) and I can store 3000 litres to transfer to vans.

Usage is about 3000 litres pure per week. If the Merlins/PRO runs at 10/20ppm out put then okay but 20/30 isn't worth it to me.
It's a game of three halves!

Midge

Re: Which RO system? Help needed please.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 07:39:58 pm »
You need a 4040 ro for that amount of water

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 08:01:49 pm »
I have been running a Merlin (PRO) Pentair system for several years but have found that the membranes don't last as long as they used to. Input pressure is usually between 55 and 75psi.

When I first bought the system from Gardiners (when they did them) my 250/300ppm in started off at 008/009 out and slowly rose for about a year until I changed it before reaching 020.

The last set only lasted seven months before I changed them at 030 and the latest lot are starting at 025 and so I shall be on to the supplier on Monday.

I know there is the original 350 membrane and the spectrum 750 but the spectrum 750 is no better than the 350.

Anyway - a few questions - Is anyone else using Merlin or PRO Pentair and have you experienced a degrading in quality?

What other RO would you recommend? I have water that is "free" (as in it goes on my house rates not water drawn) and I can store 3000 litres to transfer to vans.

Usage is about 3000 litres pure per week. If the Merlins/PRO runs at 10/20ppm out put then okay but 20/30 isn't worth it to me.

Ask Doug at Daqua to price you up a 4040 with 20" prefilters and an HF5 membrane.

One thing that the Merlin/PRF was good for was that you could have a ball valve on your storage tank which would switch the r/o off completely when the tank was full.

A 4040 won't have that option, so you will need to add a solenoid valve and float switch to  achieve this.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 09:54:18 pm »
Thanks for that. What output could I expect in ppm from 250/300 in. And for how long?

Will I need to raise the input pressure with a pump?

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 10:42:49 pm »
You should be getting 004/005 from that tds - yes I would add a booster pump for better performance

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Don Kee

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 09:29:17 am »
Thanks for that. What output could I expect in ppm from 250/300 in. And for how long?

I have around 350 going in to a 40/40 that I bought from Doug.
Membrane is about 2 years old, I get about 8 out (boosted to around 80psi)

I’m not exactly on point with changing prefilters and “flushing” either.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 09:48:36 am »

I have around 350 going in to a 40/40 that I bought from Doug.
Membrane is about 2 years old, I get about 8 out (boosted to around 80psi)

I’m not exactly on point with changing prefilters and “flushing” either.

Thank you.

My set up is mains in at tap pressure (55/75). What pump did you get - is it 240v? - and where does it go in the set up?

Do you bother with resin?

Don Kee

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 12:58:13 pm »

My set up is mains in at tap pressure (55/75). What pump did you get - is it 240v? - and where does it go in the set up?

Do you bother with resin?

You could probably get away with a low pressure membrane (HF5) un-boosted at those pressures but I would call Doug first to be sure.

If you do go down the high pressure membrane route (HF4) then I use this booster:  https://www.anglianpumping.com/product/water-boosting-pumps/jet-dp-102m-230v

And I have it before the prefilters.

I wanted to put it between prefilters and membrane (mostly to save any sediment running through it so it would last longer) but it would have meant lengthening hoses etc… and seeing as the RO came pre built, I couldn’t be bothered farting about.

I do use resin, I have a 25 litre vessel that probably needs changing once a year tops so it hardly breaks the bank so I figure, why not?
(We go through 650litres pretty much most days)

Splash & dash

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 02:54:41 pm »

All theses merlin things are made  for fish keepers that need 20-50 ltr of water every couple of weeks or so they arnt designed to produce  hundreds or thousands of ltr for  our applications , they were initially the only option but now there is a wide purpose designed set up far more suited to our needs , a 4040 or 4021 is probably going to be the best option , give Doug at daqua a ring he will sort out what you need .

dd

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 04:17:11 pm »
I use a 300gpd unit which fills a 1500l tank. On an average week I run it for 3 days while using the tank. I am a sole trader but often think it would produce enough for 2 men. Water pressure is 50-55psi, no pump and product water is around 003 from 200 input.

I only use one 20 inch prefilter and also use a water softener.

Jonny 87

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2021, 07:25:34 pm »
I use a 300gpd unit which fills a 1500l tank. On an average week I run it for 3 days while using the tank. I am a sole trader but often think it would produce enough for 2 men. Water pressure is 50-55psi, no pump and product water is around 003 from 200 input.

I only use one 20 inch prefilter and also use a water softener.

How many litres per day do you use at work? That’s pretty good going.

I’d recommend Daqua too.

I got my 4021 set up from them. I have about 100 tds in and it brings my tds down to 000 or 001.
10 inch pre-filters mounted to a board and hf5 membrane. 50psi input.

Ive got a 1000 litre storage tank with a ballcock which stops the pure input (but it still runs on flush) and every time I come home the tank is full again. It keeps two of us going.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

dd

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 10:54:03 pm »
Most days I use around 350l. Average week is 4-5 days depending on the weather.