van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Evan

Glass Con roof cleaning
« on: April 13, 2021, 09:50:12 pm »
Hi, what do you guys use to clean glass con roofs?..just pure water scrub and rinse just ain’t doing it

Splash & dash

Re: Glass Con roof cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 10:01:20 pm »
Spray with a Virosol 10-1 mix scrub rinse job done

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 10:25:32 pm »
If its "self cleaning" pure water

otherwise TFR

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

PHILIP HARDY

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 07:38:34 am »
Another thing you must always try is check the inside, you can scrub away for ever on the outside ( I always rinse clear panels with pure), but the insides get just as dirty as static makes dust and grime stick.
The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget

NWH

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 10:25:13 am »
It all depends what’s on the roof if it’s covered in lichen you’ll need stronger chemicals some roofs will clean up with something as simple as fairy liquid.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 07:07:58 pm »
I have a decorators expanding pole that has a swivel pad holder,  I fit a mild white scouring pad, it’s cleans them brilliantly  with a squirt of washing up liquid for lubricant
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 07:29:36 pm »
You cleaning them by hand Mike you mean

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 07:37:17 pm »
Yep, up the stepladder and scrub

NWH

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 07:45:36 pm »
If you squeegee them off it’s easier with a Wagtail m8 it’s a lot quicker the best one for this is the original flipper.

jim bean

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 10:29:48 pm »
If its "self cleaning" pure water

otherwise TFR

Darran

How can you tell if it’s self cleaning ?

I used tfr once on a glass roof and it somehow got in middle of the glass on one panel and couldn’t be removed. Luckily had to clean insides also and got away with it wasn’t me  :-X

Never used it since on glass

Also what dilution on glass?

I use it 8-1 on roofs
Slightly less on fsg cleans

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 10:49:27 pm »
Always ask the customer

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Slacky

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 08:15:11 am »
If you put too strong a mix of TFR on glass, this is only likely to happen with a strong caustic cleaner such as Virosol, you’ll know if it’s self cleaning as it turns the glass milky in appearance.

Just apply a solution of descaler to the glass. It clears immediately. Don’t ask me why or how, or what the science is behind it, but that’s the solution. Any other general purpose TFR, you’ll likely not have an issue.

Splash & dash

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 05:04:46 pm »
If you put too strong a mix of TFR on glass, this is only likely to happen with a strong caustic cleaner such as Virosol, you’ll know if it’s self cleaning as it turns the glass milky in appearance.

Just apply a solution of descaler to the glass. It clears immediately. Don’t ask me why or how, or what the science is behind it, but that’s the solution. Any other general purpose TFR, you’ll likely not have an issue.

Virosol isn’t caustic

Mike Halliday

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 06:31:51 pm »
I did one today so thought I would do a video of my pole with scrubber, it’s a bit of a crap video as I had the phone in one hand and scrubbed with the other.

If you get a roof with lichen barnacles baked on  (maybe not on glass roofs) or thick green it clean them beautifully

https://youtu.be/p9ZWWju5G9A

Slacky

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 06:49:38 pm »

Virosol isn’t caustic

You're right. I don't know why I said caustic, harsh would be what I meant. It has a reasonably high pH.

It can certainly be corrosive, given a strong mix and self-cleaning glass..

Spruce

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2021, 07:03:52 pm »
The O/P hasn't really given us much information regarding his job.

In the early days we had a conservatory roof to clean. The roof was glass and the frame was bolted to the house wall with a good pitch. The flashing was lead and it had stained the glass to such an extent that we couldn't do anything that justified the effort we put in.

The conclusion was that the leaded flashing be replaced along with the glass roof. The glass was beyond economic restoration.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Splash & dash

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 10:38:07 pm »

Virosol isn’t caustic

You're right. I don't know why I said caustic, harsh would be what I meant. It has a reasonably high pH.

Reading the data sheets for Virosol and  ubik is interesting ubik has a higher ph value . We have always used Virosol on self cleaning roofs in bright sunlight on hot days and let it dry out then scrub the roof rinse and never had any issues at all we do dilute  it 10-1 , I remember you posting a while ago about having issues with it though .

Smudger

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2021, 11:29:02 pm »
I used to have a list of approved chess for self cleaning glass - it was quite short ! but Pilkington have now removed it

they state no cleaning products should be used on the roof - only hose down and if you are in a hard water area then a softener should be added to the water - the only physical thing on touch the glass should be a soft damp cloth

so that rules out Ubik  and virosol

Darran

Slacky

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2021, 11:52:59 pm »

Virosol isn’t caustic

Reading the data sheets for Virosol and  ubik is interesting ubik has a higher ph value . We have always used Virosol on self cleaning roofs in bright sunlight on hot days and let it dry out then scrub the roof rinse and never had any issues at all we do dilute  it 10-1 , I remember you posting a while ago about having issues with it though .

It has only happened to me once, on that conservatory roof a few years back. It got resolved.  The Crusty must’ve been reasonably chuffed it got resolved as I did a roof and drive pressure wash for him last week.

HUTT CLEAN TECH

Re: Glass Con roof cleaning New
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2021, 01:12:41 am »
Hi, I recommend using a window cleaning robot to automatically clean the window

Mod NOTE: If you wish to advertise please contact Forum Admin.

Gringo

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2021, 08:10:32 am »
Smashing idea Hutt, if we hand them out to all our customers we won't have to go to work, just wait for the dosh to come rolling in

Splash & dash

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2021, 09:46:09 pm »
I used to have a list of approved chess for self cleaning glass - it was quite short ! but Pilkington have now removed it

they state no cleaning products should be used on the roof - only hose down and if you are in a hard water area then a softener should be added to the water - the only physical thing on touch the glass should be a soft damp cloth

Darran

We have cleaned literally hundreds of self cleaning glass roofs over the years using Virosol and stiff brushes and hot water and never had any problems .

Smudger

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2021, 10:14:54 pm »

Darran

We have cleaned literally hundreds of self cleaning glass roofs over the years using Virosol and stiff brushes and hot water and never had any problems .

ah yes - but you've just voided the warranty  ;)

Darran

Splash & dash

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 10:34:35 pm »

Darran

ah yes - but you've just voided the warranty  ;)

Darran

Bit like pressure washing solar panels 😂😂😂

Smudger

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2021, 11:14:35 pm »
absolutely   ;D

Darran