van insurance

This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

simon w

PF professional stainless steel reels
« on: January 16, 2021, 03:41:09 pm »
Has anyone else had any issues with the spindle/drum damaging and contorting
the first few metres of microbore hose when using hot water?

NWH

Re: PF professional stainless steel reels
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 04:33:32 pm »
Yes they do this if the reel has grooves in them on the first as you say couple of meters that start on the drum,ideally a wider hose on the first meter would solve this issue but so would the manufacturer not putting these grooves on the reel drum.
If you reel all the hose out after a short time the indentations on the hose go quicker with hot water.

simon w

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 05:11:20 pm »
It's the hexagonal edge on each section of the spindle. Cold water wouldn't cause an issue but hot water and the heat retained within 100 metres of hose distorts the hose permanently and has caused their green microbore hose to split . I've lagged the spindle with foam sheeting now but feel peeved about having to do diy on a purpose made hose reel from a company that are leaders in hot water fed pole products. I did run this past one of their technicians on the phone and they reckon they have no knowledge of this happening before or what might cause it (yeah right)  ::)roll it's a very well built hose reel but 100% has a serious flaw that will damage hose when using hot that could be remedied and put right if they wanted to.

NWH

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 05:19:52 pm »
Are you talking about the sunken ridges inside the drum that’s what I’m on about.

simon w

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 05:32:09 pm »
Are you talking about the sunken ridges inside the drum that’s what I’m on about.

Yes, the weight of the hot/soft hose pushing into this puts it out of shape causes damage and when it's cooled/cold permanently holds this mark/contortion for several metres of hose and has caused water to leak from splits caused by this indentation in the hose. The only way to prevent damage to hot hose was to lag the whole area of spindle that the hose comes into contact with.

Apart from this it' a great hose reel, come on PF get this sorted and you'll have a faultless piece of equipment

NWH

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 05:45:40 pm »
I have just changed my microbore because of this I think it’s worse when you run it very hot then run it cold it damages the inside of the hose,I kid you not I had no flow and when I reeled out I had what looked like a huge line of sausages in my hose 🤣🤣 it had swollen up something terrible.

simon w

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 05:56:42 pm »
I have just changed my microbore because of this I think it’s worse when you run it very hot then run it cold it damages the inside of the hose,I kid you not I had no flow and when I reeled out I had what looked like a huge line of sausages in my hose 🤣🤣 it had swollen up something terrible.

Their green microbore is only good for water up to a certain temperature and certainly doesn't cope well with 70 degrees at the spindle end due to the weight of hose on top and the heat it holds from above. Providing it's not being pushed down onto this side edge on the base/spindle the hose will cope with the heat. I think if you read the spec on this hose it tells you it's not suitable for hot water but PF just tell you it's what their customers use on their hose reels, I think it's only the mini-bore that they classify as hot hose specific. The microbore will cope with the hot water if you take away the edge on the spindle and in my case lagged the spindle to remove this contact. Just seems like a simple weakness in what could otherwise be a a great product and not too difficult to rectify with all further fabrication /builds of this hose reel.

NWH

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 06:38:58 pm »
I will need to get another length anyway I have had the high viz on for about a month and it does swell with the hot water I can see that already.

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 10:15:56 am »
It's the hexagonal edge on each section of the spindle. Cold water wouldn't cause an issue but hot water and the heat retained within 100 metres of hose distorts the hose permanently and has caused their green microbore hose to split . I've lagged the spindle with foam sheeting now but feel peeved about having to do diy on a purpose made hose reel from a company that are leaders in hot water fed pole products. I did run this past one of their technicians on the phone and they reckon they have no knowledge of this happening before or what might cause it (yeah right)  ::)roll it's a very well built hose reel but 100% has a serious flaw that will damage hose when using hot that could be remedied and put right if they wanted to.

I've never had this problem with my PF REELMASTER....I think your hose could be the problem.....(I use the red PF hose made for hot water)...the green is not recommended for hot water mate....
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 11:15:20 am »
It’s the reel itself on some reels if you pull out all the hose you’ll see the ridges on the drum he’s talking about if there is any on the particular one you  are using has them,they compress the hose by 30-40% restricting  flow until it either heats up or is all pulled out with cold.

simon w

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 11:18:39 am »

I've never had this problem with my PF REELMASTER....I think your hose could be the problem.....(I use the red PF hose made for hot water)...the green is not recommended for hot water mate....

Is the profile of your spindle/base of your reel the same as the professional range? if so do you have permanent indentations in your hose every 2-3" for the first few metres?. I've used several brands of microbore on other hose reel types without damage to the hose

simon w

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 11:24:02 am »
It’s the reel itself on some reels if you pull out all the hose you’ll see the ridges on the drum he’s talking about if there is any on the particular one you  are using has them,they compress the hose by 30-40% restricting  flow until it either heats up or is all pulled out with cold.

Correct. I've been testing it out this morning with the spindle/drum fully lagged and the hose isn't being damaged through heat and pressure from the points of contact on the spindle/drum. (I so hate having to modify purpose made equipment to make it fit for purpose)

NWH

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 12:58:55 pm »
Yeah that’s right something you are able to wrap around it when it’s bare cures the problem but like you say shouldn’t be like it anyway.

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 07:39:32 pm »

Is the profile of your spindle/base of your reel the same as the professional range? if so do you have permanent indentations in your hose every 2-3" for the first few metres?. I've used several brands of microbore on other hose reel types without damage to the hose

The reelmasters are the same hexagonal design mate....I've never had a problem....and my water is scalding hot within 20 mins of firing up my heater ......my microbore is 2 and a half years old....
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 08:25:01 pm »
I’ve had hose on mine for years too before but it can be an issue,if you cover over the grooves the problem is sorted but imo it’s not a good design.