Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

James Styles

Buying a 2nd hand van
« on: November 22, 2020, 08:23:12 pm »
Am looking to purchase a 2nd hand van in January.
Looking to spend between £500-£1000.
I seen a Citroen Berlingo for £600 on gumtree, 10 months mot, says it runs fine, seems a good deal.
What advice would you give to buying a second hand van?
Just looking a getting a small van that will be an ok runner while still building my round.

Stoots

Re: Buying a 2nd hand van
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 08:37:21 pm »
I seen a Citroen Berlingo for £600 on gumtree, 10 months mot, says it runs fine, seems a good deal.
Just looking a getting a small van that will be an ok runner while still building my round.

At that price its pure luck.

Just check the usual

I recently bought an old transit connect for a grand. When it goes pop i will buy another.

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 09:02:42 pm »
I think its a gamble at that price, however you can still get a reasonable van esp.  smaller ones - try to get a Dispatch as they are nice size for 1 man with a 400 ltr tank

just try to get as low mileage as poss and not ex builder van ( painter/decorator van is a good bet ) - a lot of these have also been "private" and used as a casual work horse

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

EandM

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 09:16:38 pm »
Run the plate and have a look at the MOT history.

It tells you a great deal about what sort of life it's had and whether or not it's been looked after.

Then go and look and listen.

NBwcs

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 09:34:46 pm »
Pot luck really, but i wouldn't buy one that's been used for window cleaning, not after seeing the amount of abuse we give them. Id rather have a builders van  ;D

KS Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 09:58:59 pm »
At that sort of money for every decent van ( and there won’t be many ) there will be 5 lemons. It will be largely down to luck whether you are buying a money pit or not.

James Styles

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 10:59:28 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys, what if I stretched to £2,000 you think I could get an ok van for that price?
I’ve seen some for 2nd hand on finance, is Vanarama any good for deals? The vans are more reliable from there right, like they welcome AA RAC inspections

CleanClear

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 09:51:09 am »

If i was looking at something like that i would budget another couple hundred quid so that when i got it i'd pop it in garage for oil/filter change and cambelt/alternator belt if there was no concrete history on it.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 10:45:14 am »

If i was looking at something like that i would budget another couple hundred quid so that when i got it i'd pop it in garage for oil/filter change and cambelt/alternator belt if there was no concrete history on it.
That's good advice right there 👍
My vans have always been about 10 years old with 90 k mileage. Granted they're not really worth much once I've finished with them but stop start and carrying water takes its toll on them. I usually get 5 years or so from them. You can check on DVLA now for previous MOT's and advisories. If there's signs of several fails or constant advisories it would suggest to me it's not been looked after. If there's limited service history and no record of a cambelt change you should factor that in as well. I bought a 60 plate Berlingo back in February and it had its MOT last week with no issues. Was north of your price range by about 1K though. It takes a bit of research, luck and gut instinct.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 10:59:23 am »
Sorry CleanClear just realised you mentioned cam belt.

EandM

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 04:08:46 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys, what if I stretched to £2,000 you think I could get an ok van for that price?
I’ve seen some for 2nd hand on finance, is Vanarama any good for deals? The vans are more reliable from there right, like they welcome AA RAC inspections

I bought my 02 Ford Ranger for £2500, nine years ago at 130,000 miles. Nothing's really gone wrong with it in the last 46,000 miles and I've been so pleased with it work wise that I've bought another on an 07 for the same price.

I do all my own maintenance, some of it preventative,  though which does save a lot.

dd

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 04:13:29 pm »

You are not likely to get a new cambelt fitted for under £400 on its own.

Stoots

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 04:41:03 pm »
A 2 grand van wont necessarily be better than one at a grand. Or 3 or 4k for that matter...

All used vehicles present a risk, granted as age and mileage goes up the risk probably increases but its hard to quantify.

Just inspect it thoroughly and cross your fingers.

NWH

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 05:11:56 pm »
I think if you spend 500 on a van there’s no guarantee a 2000 grand one will be any better.

robbo333

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 05:58:42 pm »
If I was buying at that price, I would put the word round to all friends and relatives and see if they know anyone who is selling a van. Hopefully you may buy something more reliable if a friend of a friend has some idea of the history of the van, rather than from a complete stranger.

I bought an old Toyota Hiace and I'm happy with it.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

KS Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 06:03:21 pm »
I think if you spend 500 on a van there’s no guarantee a 2000 grand one will be any better.
😲😲

CleanClear

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2020, 06:14:00 pm »
£30K Plus for this crew cab when new 18 months ago, now been sat in Peoples Ford for three weeks getting a new engine.(under warranty) . You don't always get what you pay for.

NWH

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2020, 06:52:48 pm »
Yeah you do you brought a Ford 🤣🤣 they used to call them Dagenham dustbins lol.

NWH

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2020, 06:53:57 pm »
They must be ok Guy Martin loves his Transit Sport mind you he does all the work on it himself.

James Styles

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 08:04:06 pm »
Thanks everyone some really helpful advice much appreciated 👍

Bungle

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2020, 08:12:30 pm »
£30K Plus for this crew cab when new 18 months ago, now been sat in Peoples Ford for three weeks getting a new engine.(under warranty) . You don't always get what you pay for.

You missed Peckham out 😂 Just a heads up... it’s New York with a capital Y 👍
We look at them, they look through them.

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2020, 08:55:49 pm »

You are not likely to get a new cambelt fitted for under £400 on its own.
Ask around for recommendations for a good mobile mechanic.
I had an oil and filter change plus cam belt change on my ford ranger last year prior to selling it this february. Think I paid just over £200

EandM

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2020, 10:13:31 pm »

Was it the oil pump by any chance?

CleanClear

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2020, 10:33:26 pm »

Its not actually mine its my mates. But believe it or not it was the brake servo/vaccum pump , apparently it fails then some bits fall down into th engine and its at the back of the engine. The sales rep knew the problem straightaway, said it would need a new engine. I said i've never heard of a new engine needed for a brake servo !! But there you go, its obviously happened before . Imagine buying a used one with no warranty and that happens ? They should probably of really done a recall . And to add insult to injury, they've told him it will need a service from them and a stamp to retain the warranty  ;D

Shrek

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2020, 05:55:02 am »

Its not actually mine its my mates. But believe it or not it was the brake servo/vaccum pump , apparently it fails then some bits fall down into th engine and its at the back of the engine. The sales rep knew the problem straightaway, said it would need a new engine. I said i've never heard of a new engine needed for a brake servo !! But there you go, its obviously happened before . Imagine buying a used one with no warranty and that happens ? They should probably of really done a recall . And to add insult to injury, they've told him it will need a service from them and a stamp to retain the warranty  ;D

Why is your ciu name the same as your mates business name?

Spruce

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2020, 06:34:20 am »

That was a good question.

Despite all the oil pump problems they have had in the past they are sticking with the rotary vane design oil pump on the Ford engines.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spruce

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2020, 06:47:40 am »

I've looked on Gumtree and Ebay. I haven't seen one Berlingo or Partner van I would look at. They are mostly high mileage and interestingly, the majority are 1.9 diesels
If you are going to look at small vans for window cleaning then you need a side sliding door imo. Son's first van was a Peugeot Partner without a slide sliding door. His current Berlingo has a side sliding door and its so much easier to work from.

Shrek

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2020, 06:53:02 am »

I've looked on Gumtree and Ebay. I haven't seen one Berlingo or Partner van I would look at. They are mostly high mileage and interestingly, the majority are 1.9 diesels
If you are going to look at small vans for window cleaning then you need a side sliding door imo. Son's first van was a Peugeot Partner without a slide sliding door. His current Berlingo has a side sliding door and its so much easier to work from.

How? My transit has a side sliding door and I never use it  ???

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2020, 07:48:32 am »

How? My transit has a side sliding door and I never use it  ???
It all depends on how you've set up and what you carry. I've a Berlingo with the longer load area and twin sliding doors. I find it very useful because I slide a folding combi ladder in there on its side on top of the tank with it strapped to the bulkhead. My backpack also sits down the side of the tank by the other sliding door. Having sliding doors also made access easier for initially fitting the tank.

CleanClear

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2020, 09:10:20 am »

Why is your ciu name the same as your mates business name?
You mean why is my mates business name the same as mine ? Some things will have to remain a puzzle i'm afraid  ;D

EandM

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2020, 11:35:19 am »

Despite all the oil pump problems they have had in the past they are sticking with the rotary vane design oil pump on the Ford engines.

The design goes back decades. The Morris Minor has a vane oil pump but unlike the Ford one, seems to work.
BMW have used them for decades and I've never heard of one failing.
The Ford Australia design doesn't seem to be very well executed. Although in the Ranger, the 20,000 mile first oil change doesn't help either.

FAI make a very good geared replacement oil pump which is a fit and forget.
If I ever get to own a Ranger T6 that will be my preferred route.

Mike Burd

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2020, 02:16:27 pm »

The design goes back decades. The Morris Minor has a vane oil pump but unlike the Ford one, seems to work.
The Ford Australia design doesn't seem to be very well executed. Although in the Ranger, the 20,000 mile first oil change doesn't help either.

My experience of Ford SA is poor quality. Rattling dash, front seat upholstery failure, plug socket installed upside down, both keys failed  and finally a coolant leak last Christmas that cost £2,000 as just out of warranty.

Spruce

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2020, 09:20:23 am »

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn't know that. I thought it was a Ford design.

TBF I replaced the oil pump on my 2.2hdi Boxer due to the many failures reported. The previous owner had had the van serviced by Peugeot every time and the oil pump was fine when I took it out.

Its one of those parts you can't predict what will happen to it. It could have outlasted the van, it could have failed the following week or the new pump could also fail tomorrow. What I did find was despite the regular servicing done by Peugeot the oil pump suck up tube needed the strainer cleaning out. TBH that surprised me.

I'm still very much thinking about doing a oil pump upgrade to the geared conversion although its become less of a priority.

A fellow windie with the same year Citroen Relay with less miles had his oil pump fail. That's what made me change mine pronto.

CleanClear

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2022, 10:18:16 pm »
And its back in Fords again. Airmass flow sensor, split pipe , not all cylinders firing etc... about 10 days to go till the warranty ends  ;D
Breakdown recovery =good thing. Ford warranty service=not so much.

dazmond

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2022, 08:42:25 am »
Unbelievable.....I've never heard of anyone having major problems with any van(unless it's an old vivaro) that's less than 7 or 8 years old
price higher/work harder!

Ggh

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2022, 02:43:23 pm »
I’ve a combo going cheap. Good for a 350litre tank. I’ll put a new battery on it and new mot. Message if you’re interested.
Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

Stoots

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2022, 07:18:23 pm »
Unbelievable.....I've never heard of anyone having major problems with any van(unless it's an old vivaro) that's less than 7 or 8 years old

funny you should say that i bought a 2006 vivaro last march as  as a second van, i ended up using it myself and have put 8k on it without a hitch. Its even gone through its m.o.t today all it needed was a bush.