This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

JandS

Flat tank
« on: September 24, 2020, 08:20:47 pm »
Would a 500litre flat baffled tank be okay ratchet strapped down given the low centre of gravity?
H 620mm L 1000mm W 920mm.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

NWH

Re: Flat tank
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 08:24:27 pm »
Where have you found an off the shelf baffled lay flat tank if it’s a normal white Wydale or similar tank it’s not baffled.

EandM

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 10:34:20 pm »
Where have you found an off the shelf baffled lay flat tank if it’s a normal white Wydale or similar tank it’s not baffled.

I've been using one of these for the last decade:

https://wydaleplastics.co.uk/Products/271/400-Litre-Flat-Tank-.html

Also available in 500 litre.

Both baffled.

NWH

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 11:59:25 pm »
That is not a baffled tank or what you would call properly baffled regardless of what it says in the description,a tank like that would be divided up into 4-6 sections and water would only be able to flow through each section via a small 2” eye shaped opening at the bottom of the tank.
When full the water can’t move in the tank in the picture it  will move about like water in a bath,I’ve had both at traffic lights or when you pull up quickish with the white tank you almost get motion sickness.

JandS

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 09:37:48 am »
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 10:22:27 am »
no tank just ratchet strapped in is ok , after being in a head on  a few months ago at over 70mph and seeing my hubby getting cut out of the van   add in  seeing how a bolted in tank bend out of shape i would never ever get in a van with just a strapped in tank.

just two 11l dis bent a metal bulkhead in to the cab buy 9incs  and bent  the lower seat brackets forward an inc when there clips let go

hate to think what 500kgs would of done  doing the same , these hit the bulkhead they were bullets 

i am sure the lads will be along soon saying  that its safe and how long they have been doing it  ect ect kidding themselfs its ok , well wait until its not and its to late

Stoots

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 11:16:47 am »
My van tank is both strapped and bolted, ive only just done that because i am employing. Ive drove round for years with just a strap because i am happy to take the risk, i dont go down the motorway and rarely go above 40mph whilst im out cleaning windows so i am totally comfortable with a strap. I wouldnt trust an employee to be as sensible as me so hence making it secure.

But its not a strap vs bolt issue its what its fastened to.

Those poxy load ring eyes wont do much nor will flimsy bolts through the the floor. which is just 2mm steel plate.

Whatever you use they want anchoring to the chassis.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 01:02:04 pm »
My van tank is both strapped and bolted, ive only just done that because i am employing. Ive drove round for years with just a strap because i am happy to take the risk, i dont go down the motorway and rarely go above 40mph whilst im out cleaning windows so i am totally comfortable with a strap. I wouldnt trust an employee to be as sensible as me so hence making it secure.

Those poxy load ring eyes wont do much nor will flimsy bolts through the the floor. which is just 2mm steel plate.

we  had just got back form the u.s. and  were in a village doing 37 mph in a 40 limit and boom  vw tigwan R headed  us doing over 70 he didnt even brake  so how   you feel now  because it wont happen in a village will it eh ?

9weeks in i.c.u. 2 years to learn to walk again for him due to his legs are now metal ,   8 broken rids , broken  elbow.  liver damaged , lugs crushed , hip broken and replaced  , i was the lucky one i just got broke rib, nose , hand , ,

lucky were retired and dont need to earn money to pay bills one more inc we would of both been dead so glad the frame held up  it s not you that the cage is for its to save you from the arsehole drivers that out there   

NWH

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 03:21:03 pm »
The temptation is the cost that’s all it is 10 times out of 10 is it safe strapped no it’s not,is it cheap of course it is idiots go down the cheap route most of the time.
1000s and 1000s to crash test a tank in frame  it’s not cheap but it’s the safest option,gas heaters and straps go together they both do the same job till something goes wrong how many times have you heard someone say if I did it again i would do it the right way.

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 03:26:32 pm »

we  had just got back form the u.s. and  were in a village doing 37 mph in a 40 limit and boom  vw tigwan R headed  us doing over 70 he didnt even brake  so how   you feel now  because it wont happen in a village will it eh ?

9weeks in i.c.u. 2 years to learn to walk again for him due to his legs are now metal ,   8 broken rids , broken  elbow.  liver damaged , lugs crushed , hip broken and replaced  , i was the lucky one i just got broke rib, nose , hand , ,

lucky were retired and dont need to earn money to pay bills one more inc we would of both been dead so glad the frame held up  it s not you that the cage is for its to save you from the arsehole drivers that out there

sounds nasty.......i remember you bragging about overloading your vans and "it wasnt a problem" a few years ago...... ::)roll
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 03:33:33 pm »
Vauxhall Vivaros with 1000ltr tanks in with gutter vac etc I know of a couple driving about near to me full every morning,suicide.

Stoots

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 06:15:28 pm »

Sorry to hear about your accident.

But theres nothing you can do to prepare yourself for someone flying head on into you at 70mph.

EandM

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 07:44:33 pm »
That is not a baffled tank or what you would call properly baffled regardless of what it says in the description,a tank like that would be divided up into 4-6 sections and water would only be able to flow through each section via a small 2” eye shaped opening at the bottom of the tank.
When full the water can’t move in the tank in the picture it  will move about like water in a bath,I’ve had both at traffic lights or when you pull up quickish with the white tank you almost get motion sickness.

I've never experienced any issue of that type when using it in my truck. The baffles do an excellent job to prevent most of the water moving at any one time.
I have though used an unbaffled IBC tank before and when it's at 4-500 litres remaining it is indeed like water in a bath.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 05:10:52 pm »

Sorry to hear about your accident.

But theres nothing you can do to prepare yourself for someone flying head on into you at 70mph.

thanks and your right , we use to run over weight , strapped in tanks , even ran with a ibc just self tapped down in to the wood before and ran many many risks back in the day ,

but 4 years ago ish we started doing everything right once we had our o.p. licence in place we had too  glad we did know that for sure