Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

In praise of Pete Thompson's lacquer tip.
« on: September 30, 2020, 09:16:58 am »
I use the top four sections of an extreme 25 as my everyday pole. I use an extreme 47 for anything longer.

In August I decided my extreme '20' was getting tired at 18 months old and bought a new Extreme 25 but continued to use  the extreme 20.

I tried Pete Thompson's lacquer idea and bought a tin of Simoniz wheel lacquer from Halfords for £7.49. I stripped the pole, wiped it with soapy water and hosed the I sides out.

I got my wife to hold the pole sections while I sprayed them with a single coat of lacquer and then sprayed the ends she had been holding. I let them dry over night and re-taped and assembled them with me prising the clamps open and my wife carefully sliding each section in.

Like Pete I confirm it feels like a new pole. It obviously isn't from the wear 'steps' at the top and bottom but I am very happy with the result.

4 weeks in and there are a few scuffs of wear where it is pivoted on roof edges and gutters from time to time but all is good. I anticipate another wipe and spray up (without stripping it) in a month and if all holds good I'll strip it again  the month after that.

A useful tip Pete. Thanks.

I now only use the new 25 for length reasons which when used is far easier than the 47! (I will do the 47 top sections too I think)
It's a game of three halves!

Pete Thompson

Re: In praise of Pete Thompson's lacquer tip.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 10:08:48 am »
Glad it worked out for you!

Pro tip: get one of these...

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-workshop/welding-and-metal-work/can-gun-1-spray-can-tool-304086.html

It makes the spraining process much easier. It just snaps onto the top of the can.

I also wear some of those cheap vinyl disposable gloves you can get.

Also, to spray the sections without needing anyone else to hold them, I do this:

Hold a section with your left hand, out in front of you horizontal. Then spray in a ‘stripe’ the bottom third. Rotate the section a little then spray another stripe. Keep going until the whole bottom third is covered. It takes about 4 stripes to cover the whole surface.

Then repeat the process with the middle third, and then the top third.

This way you can spray it away from yourself (and anyone else). Just make sure the wind isn’t blowing towards you!

G Griffin

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 10:19:53 am »
He likes to treat his wife, does Malc.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

NWH

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 10:36:19 am »
I always do the same turns it back into a new pole it also strengthens it.

Dave Willis

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 11:15:26 am »
Just closing my eyes and imagining Malcs wife sliding a section in.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 11:15:44 am »
He likes to treat his wife, does Malc.

True. Any excuse for her to hold my pole.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 11:17:06 am »
Just closing my eyes and imagining Malcs wife sliding a section in.

I set up the prose nicely for you Dave.