Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jack Judd

Cleaning Church Stain Glass Windows
« on: September 29, 2020, 04:50:23 pm »
Hi everyone,

A couple of years ago I had a Only fools and Horses moment as I was asked to clean the inside stain glass widnows of a 12c church.  We did this with the WFP system with as little water as possible while the warden man moped up the water.  The Church now want the exterior stain glass windows cleaned.  Has anyone had experience of cleaning stain glass windows without soap etc.  Not sure they have been cleaned for a few hundred years!!! :o :o :o :o :o

colin bird

Re: Cleaning Church Stain Glass Windows
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 05:22:30 pm »
I clean external church leaded light stain glass windows,you need to ensure the glass isn't bowed inwards or outwards and doesn't leak.
If Windows and glass are in good condition,clean as normal,but don't press to hard on glass

windowswashed

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 06:06:10 pm »
Use a flocked brush and overhead rinse bar, hard work!

Splash & dash

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 06:21:43 pm »
We did this place was an old church been converted into posh apartments

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 06:24:04 pm »
Hi everyone,

A couple of years ago I had a Only fools and Horses moment as I was asked to clean the inside stain glass widnows of a 12c church.  We did this with the WFP system with as little water as possible while the warden man moped up the water.  The Church now want the exterior stain glass windows cleaned.  Has anyone had experience of cleaning stain glass windows without soap etc.  Not sure they have been cleaned for a few hundred years!!! :o :o :o :o :o

i clean a large church with old stained glass windows...i use a flocked brush,low flow and im extra careful......some windows still leak but they never say anything........as long as i get paid i dont care..... :)
price higher/work harder!

Jack Judd

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 07:16:29 pm »
Thanks for the comments and pictures.  I suppose like anything setting expectations is key.  Its a bloody old church dating back to 12c, dont know how old the windows are.  Will have to be careful of delicate leading around the frames.  I have said no ladders, no soap  and nothing by hand.  Not worried about leaking as its a church and not apartments.  One of you said hard work.  Was that the time or the effort needed?

windowswashed

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 08:17:22 pm »
It was a church with windows that were black as the ace of spades, couldn't see daylight through them, Cleaned wfp outsides and trad insides.

NWH

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 08:23:04 pm »
I’ve cleaned windows just like these on a house just the same the best thing to clean the small ones with are the flocked mini from Gardiner,it was a godsend that day I ended up cleaning all the windows like those with it perfect for the intricate small round sections.