Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

lee_dewing

Thanks but no thanks 👋
« on: July 08, 2020, 11:41:12 pm »
What’s the nicest way of saying I don’t want to clean your windows anymore 🤔

Cleaned someone for 10+yrs

Always paid on the day

If they weren’t in they never sent cheque annoying

£8 front £16 all round

But always caught 2nd go usually

Now they’ve embraced online payment even when they’re in you don’t get paid

Out of sight out of mind 🙆🏻‍♂️

I do get paid but reminders etc
They’ll never knock me but it modded me off!

I just know after I text them goodbye

It’ll be
Why ? What’s wrong?

I feel like saying i miss the days when you use to put the money in my hand when I finished cleaning your windows

Trouble with online payment is I Can get forgotten, Which is no good 😁

How would you say it?
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Richard iSparkle

Re: Thanks but no thanks 👋
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 11:49:42 pm »
Easiest way is to tell them  some new terms and conditions ... ie cleans must be paid for within a week or you will not return...

Or a Big price rise

Or direct debit only

Or both..
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

lee_dewing

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 12:06:39 am »
Hello Richard

I could say
Price rise £10 front £20 all round
And
Standing order only

Trouble with standing order is:

1) I often run late so refunding customer 🤦‍♂️
2)it’s front and back if wife’s in and front only if husbands in.

Also you’ll have to set standing order to
£10
If back windows are done they won’t have cash
And your back to I’ll transfer it later
You can skip next clean to get your money as standing order

But feel it’s too much pain for too little gain😁

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 12:08:30 am »
For the most part I’ve only ever asked customers who don’t pay on the day to consider doing bank transfers. For the most part this has worked very well. But I know what you mean. There’s been a couple that I’ve had to start reminding regularly. But I just check the bank App every evening and if they haven’t payed they get a polite reminder till they do.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

lee_dewing

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 12:19:41 am »
Hello MC

It’s a case of the husband being a bit of a t1t

Unprofessional
I know, emotions.

He’s looked at me questionable when saying he owes money (I don’t say as blunt as that)

Also he sometimes wants extra, do me a favour
Can you get that bird poo of the cladding
Give that window an extra scrub

I’ve been wfp 15+ years

I’m not perfect and make mistakes
But in that time I’ve re cleaned had a problem maybe 5 times
😁

Maybe your right keep reminding him regarding payment

Think a price rise is in order
Maybe he’ll pull the rip cord for me

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 05:49:00 am »
So your terms for these people are £20 per
Clean, Whole house Or half house.  if you can’t get access because it’s locked or they’re out it’s still £20 for your visit.

If they accept that then you’re happy I think?

If they cancel you’re happy?

I think those are the only terms you can work with?
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

deeege

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 06:30:15 am »
Get the wife’s mobile number and text her after every clean. If your not comfortable letting them go a clean or two without paying  (I am with most customers) then just explain the situation and consider dropping them.

"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 06:44:56 am »
Once you've been paid and the money is in your account then stop cleaning them. If you choose to tell them then don't start cleaning again. These types of customers really become good payers. You could end up doing another clean and never get paid.

If you don't like being there then you don't have to clean them .

Every time you have to chase a payment it costs you money.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Stoots

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 07:18:18 am »
If you really don't want to do them then get paid and don't go back. That's all I do, I just stop cleaning them.

Or

Just say you are switching everyone over to go cardless, either sign up before next clean or I can no longer clean your windows. Or just post a letter through to that effect.

james peters

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 07:24:44 am »
here is something i have noticed.
it has happened with a few customers,  .    the solution is simple.

I have a few customers that have retired lately.  when they were working, they would pay by bacs on the evening of the clean...
ALWAYS... like clock work.
now they are home , they will pop their head out to say hello. , and oh I will transfer the money as usual. no need for a payment slip, I will do it this afternoon.
Payment never arrives , and I have to remind them.

so my solution is THEY NEED A PAYMENT SLIP.   I hand them the slip . even if they say no need . i put it in their hand .
It seems to do the trick. they pay on the day. so the solution is making sure they get an actual bill!

however there is one . just like the one Lee has.   they do pay , but I feel they are taking liberties , as they seem to leave it a while before paying.

maybe its worth getting them to pay by card reader, and just say this is now the prefered method ?

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 07:55:55 am »
I have payment terms on every slip I put through a customers door(please pay within 14 days).....most do....

Once a month I usually have to send a text reminder to a few customers but its literally a handful.....less than 10 jobs out of 340+ jobs...

If a customer persistently needs multiple text reminders every time I've cleaned their windows before they finally pay I just stop cleaning....I cant be arsed with them.....

If they then contact me(they very rarely do)then I explain why I stopped cleaning and that I've replaced them with another job.....👍....this usually results in them putting the phone down abruptly.....😁
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 08:09:20 am »
 I do let some customers go to 2 or 3 cleans before I send them a text reminder if they haven't paid..these are 4 weekly cheaper jobs...any longer frequency jobs have to be paid before I'll clean for them again...this again is only a handful

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 08:43:22 am »
As you know I do love a good flounce but the longer-in-the-tooth me is more mellow about these things. Re-training is a good idea if this customer hangs in the balance and you really don't mind which way it goes. If you are fed up with the blokes patronising ways then dump him but you might consider a re-training.

Type them a pre-printed note (so it seems you are writing to several and not just them) fill in their name and date by hand and attach it to your payment slip explaining that you have re-evaluated your round and that prompt payment is always appreciated.

Dear (Crapppayer,)                                                                                                                                     Date_______________

I have been re-evaluating my work practices and while I appreciate your custom I hope you understand when I explain that I have identified you as a customer that needs following up rather too often for payment. As my round has increased in size I no longer have time to chase up overdue payments nor the wish to employ someone to do it for me at extra cost all round.

Therefore may I ask that I am paid quickly upon receipt of the payment slip provided? I know you understand the need for businesses to keep running costs down in these difficult times and I hope you understand the spirit in which I have written.

Kind regards,

(You) 
It's a game of three halves!

swanson

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 09:08:13 am »
I do a lot of favours for my customers.
Most pay within the week.
But I don’t mind waiting they all pay in the end.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 10:13:11 am »
Just dont go back there it's quite simple ;D

robbo333

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 05:23:01 pm »
Same as SB don't go back.

If they phone you:

Nice option 1 - say you have some 'problems' and you have to cut down on your workload, so unfortunately you can't clean anymore.

Mid option 2 - say you can't 'afford' to clean their property anymore.

Tell it like it is option 3 - say...you want a regular, reliable window cleaner. I want regular, reliable customers, it works both ways.
Unfortunately you're not the type of customer I want.

I did use option 3, just once. They went frigging bananas! The truth hurts!  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

NWH

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 05:23:14 pm »
Always get mobile numbers from the customer,you don’t need online direct debits setup once they know if they don’t pay you’ll keep reminding them they soon pay as it annoys them lol.
I’ve had people that used to wait 3 months to pay settle on the phone while I’m there,if mobile phones are good for 1 thing it’s sending text reminders customers hate em

MrChurchMouse

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 06:15:56 pm »
I don't mean to hijack the thread as this is slightly off topic but how do you guys go about dropping someone who is living in very close proximity to other good customers?  So say you want to drop one for not paying on time or what have you but you still clean the windows for several of their neighbours?   Most likely at some point they'll see you when working near by which could result in an awkward meeting? 

Slacky

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 07:04:47 pm »
I've spent the last two days roof cleaning for a fella in a village 4 miles from here.

Today was the second day on a 2 and a bit day job. He made a bank transfer this morning for the whole job at 10:00 a.m.

I like that kind of customer.

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2020, 07:20:45 pm »
I don't mean to hijack the thread as this is slightly off topic but how do you guys go about dropping someone who is living in very close proximity to other good customers?  So say you want to drop one for not paying on time or what have you but you still clean the windows for several of their neighbours?   Most likely at some point they'll see you when working near by which could result in an awkward meeting?

i just ignore them.....i have 8 days work on 2 estates and clean nearly every house and ive a handful on both estates that ive dumped over the years for various reasons.......dont worry just ignore!! ;D

MrChurchMouse

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2020, 06:22:17 pm »

i just ignore them.....i have 8 days work on 2 estates and clean nearly every house and ive a handful on both estates that ive dumped over the years for various reasons.......dont worry just ignore!! ;D

But what do you say when they come up to you and ask you where you've been or if you're doing there's today? (Assuming you just stopped going and never gave them a heads up that you were stopping their service). 

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2020, 06:32:48 pm »

But what do you say when they come up to you and ask you where you've been or if you're doing there's today? (Assuming you just stopped going and never gave them a heads up that you were stopping their service).

i tell them the truth....theyll never speak to you again after a quick explanation.....its only happened a few times....most ex customers know why you stopped calling...

i had one the other week though....i told him i dont like wading through the dog muck down the side of his house......he turned around and shut his door! ;D.....it wasnt just that though.....crappy gate(he puts  lots of bricks behind it! ::)roll),late payer EVERY TIME and skipped too often with no valid reason....idiot! :)

deeege

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2020, 12:32:38 pm »

i tell them the truth....theyll never speak to you again after a quick explanation.....its only happened a few times....most ex customers know why you stopped calling...

i had one the other week though....i told him i dont like wading through the dog muck down the side of his house......he turned around and shut his door! ;D.....it wasnt just that though.....crappy gate(he puts  lots of bricks behind it! ::)roll),late payer EVERY TIME and skipped too often with no valid reason....idiot! :)

I thought you had a zero tolerance policy on dog muck and late payers Daz?
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

RPCCS

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2020, 02:57:29 pm »
I have this, an estate I clean in one bloke is really hard to catch in,every time I got paid it was always two/three lots. So I said to him one day you are difficult to catch for payment can you pay me by back instead? Errm,,, was the reply ,so I said or post me a cheque? He agreed to pay by bacs and did it once,then never again.  I let it go another twice and caught him in and got cash,then it went another 3 times,I left bank details again,no payment  so I stopped going, I do a house 3 doors down, he has seen me in the estate and not made any attempt to  come and see me to settle up or ask why his windows haven’t been done.  If he does,I will tell him straight, you are never in and you haven’t paid by bacs as requested. I will come back to you but you have to pay on time or I will stop  again and there will be no third chance.  Window cleaning is our income ,it’s what pays our mortgage/rent/bills etc, it’s not just beer money job any longer, people need to realise that.
Cheers Rich

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2020, 03:54:06 pm »
Dont be afraid to drop a customer if they are a PITA....its your business and if you ve had enough of their messing around its perfectly reasonable (if your busy enough with other work).

This is beauty of working for yourself!👍

Spruce

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2020, 04:15:00 pm »

I have a few customers that have retired lately.  when they were working, they would pay by bacs on the evening of the clean...
now they are home , they will pop their head out to say hello. , and oh I will transfer the money as usual. no need for a payment slip, I will do it this afternoon.

so my solution is THEY NEED A PAYMENT SLIP.   I hand them the slip . even if they say no need . i put it in their hand .
It seems to do the trick. they pay on the day. so the solution is making sure they get an actual bill!

however there is one . just like the one Lee has.   they do pay , but I feel they are taking liberties , as they seem to leave it a while before paying.

maybe its worth getting them to pay by card reader, and just say this is now the prefered method ?

Money is tight now a regular salary isn't coming in anymore. They will be stalling you until they receive their next pension.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

james peters

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2020, 08:04:29 am »

Money is tight now a regular salary isn't coming in anymore. They will be stalling you until they receive their next pension.

no , they are extremely wealthy. its not a money issue.  they are nice genuine people . they just forget if they  dont get that payment slip.