Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

quick poll.. what bits of growing a WC business do you find most challenging?

Customer service
2%
1 (2%)
Growing the business
24.5%
12 (24.5%)
Getting paid on time
10.2%
5 (10.2%)
Making enough money to invest into expanding
6.1%
3 (6.1%)
Too much time running about cleaning not enough time to grow the business
16.3%
8 (16.3%)
Dealing with staff
28.6%
14 (28.6%)
Something else?
12.2%
6 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closed: July 13, 2020, 10:02:27 pm

NWH

No it won’t because a business of that kind of size is not particularly cash rich ok you turnover a million quid a year so the borrowing power is available up until now anyway  to allow people to look it lol,like I say the argument in the end is always I’m running a business you are not which is rubbish. If you did the percentages of what you actually end up with like I say after Vat Tax you aren’t a lot better off than say someone with 1-2 staff,I wouldn’t want to run a business window cleaning of that size for  the amount I think is going to go in my pocket  a month just me personally the stress would shadow the profit.
Good money next to no hassle choose within reason where you work and when and who for,no brainier for some 👍

johnwillan

No it won’t because a business of that kind of size is not particularly cash rich ok you turnover a million quid a year so the borrowing power is available up until now anyway  to allow people to look it lol,like I say the argument in the end is always I’m running a business you are not which is rubbish. If you did the percentages of what you actually end up with like I say after Vat Tax you aren’t a lot better off than say someone with 1-2 staff,I wouldn’t want to run a business window cleaning of that size for  the amount I think is going to go in my pocket  a month just me personally the stress would shadow the profit.
Good money next to no hassle choose within reason where you work and when and who for,no brainier for some 👍

Correct, lots of business's are cash poor relying on debt to survive, but not all are, some thrive.

I agree that is a rubbish argument, they are all business's big and small

I guess 'a lot better off' is very subjective

I think you fully understand and appreciate your abilities, aims and desires - well done.

Richard iSparkle

what we should all be aiming for is growing a business which is the right size for yourself.

we all have a different mix of strengths, and these adapt over time too.

we all have different opportunities open to us, and we all have different goals that we would consider success.

there's nothing wrong with being a single chap cleaning and pocketing all the money with limited expenses and not relying upon staff IF that is what works for you.

there's nothing wrong with having a different business with staff IF that works for you

it sounds like John AND NWH know what their strengths and goals are and both seem happy with where they are with their own businesses. thats brilliant!
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

johnwillan

what we should all be aiming for is growing a business which is the right size for yourself.

we all have a different mix of strengths, and these adapt over time too.

we all have different opportunities open to us, and we all have different goals that we would consider success.

there's nothing wrong with being a single chap cleaning and pocketing all the money with limited expenses and not relying upon staff IF that is what works for you.

there's nothing wrong with having a different business with staff IF that works for you

it sounds like John AND NWH know what their strengths and goals are and both seem happy with where they are with their own businesses. thats brilliant!

Perfect! Couldn't have said it better myself :)

NWH

You are right it is a rubbish argument to a point only until I hear people saying you have 2-3 people it’s not a business etc,believe me I’ve had this conversation with many what some would think very successful people but more often than not the margin is the same and in a lot of cases as is the pound in pocket.
If you turnover more money you can borrow more money 1 person might be able to borrow enough to buy thereselves a Toyota Aygo and still struggle,the next person might be able to finance a Ferrari and be in the same position although he thinks he’s more successful in monetary terms he’s not lol,the more you turnover the bigger the financial debt especially if it’s only a million and over half of it is Tax Vat and expenses.
To become a cash millionaire at window cleaning you would need to be taking a lot more than a million a year with a decent margin for years,I would love to be proved wrong 😳.

johnwillan

You are right it is a rubbish argument to a point only until I hear people saying you have 2-3 people it’s not a business etc,believe me I’ve had this conversation with many what some would think very successful people but more often than not the margin is the same and in a lot of cases as is the pound in pocket.
If you turnover more money you can borrow more money 1 person might be able to borrow enough to buy thereselves a Toyota Aygo and still struggle,the next person might be able to finance a Ferrari and be in the same position although he thinks he’s more successful in monetary terms he’s not lol,the more you turnover the bigger the financial debt especially if it’s only a million and over half of it is Tax Vat and expenses.
To become a cash millionaire at window cleaning you would need to be taking a lot more than a million a year with a decent margin for years,I would love to be proved wrong 😳.

Although a lot of business act the way you describe there are many that don't.

With earnings of £150k it would take 6 years to build a cash pile of £1m, I guess it's a personal view as to wether that is a long time or not.

A business throwing off £150k earnings is returning twice the market rate (index tracker fund approx 7%) so the question would be... where would you invest the £1m cash pile or would you put it to another use?

I'm sure there are a few working on it :)

NWH

That’s without any reinvestment back into the business which would be more than your 7% so the 150k is reduced,you will also only get those kind of percentages long term these days.

NWH

Plenty of window cleaning millionaires out there then eh 🤣🤣,again presuming that the whole 150k would go straight into the bank or some other investment and not be spent on anything like reinvestment or mortgage and general household bills says it all let’s be honest.
Like I said I’d love to be proved wrong but I would think I’d have a long wait,I’m not talking about cleaning 100 story buildings off of ropes etc I’m talking domestic window cleaning here.
The country is at this time on its arse and is about to lean back another 90 degrees soon and  be tits up so I don’t think we’ll see to many millionaires in our game 🤣.
A business with anything like 10-15 employees  in window cleaning is not going to make anyone a millionaire anytime soon if they are turning over 1 million a year unless there’s razor blades and white powder involved.