This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

NWH

Re: How did you get into Window Cleaning?
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2020, 06:27:06 pm »
Same for me when I started way back with my Dad in my mind I was filling in time until something better came along,no different to what all the others think when they pop along for a job.
I bet non of them when they first start think this is a long term thing for me,if they tell you that they are telling you fibs either that or they dribble when they speak lol 🤣

Johnny B

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2020, 08:55:06 pm »
If you look at a lot of these stories and i am not in any way trying to start something here you will see why you get trouble when starting to employ,thought I’d try it to fill in between jobs etc till something better came along exactly the same thoughts they have when you take someone on I can do this on my own,like I say not meaning to start an argument.  Not very often it’s looked upon like a “proper” job even today.

When I started working for my friend I was actually going to do 'The Knowledge' and become a London cabbie. I had passed the interview and was ready to get started when I was offered the window cleaning work. As it was ready money and I found I really enjoyed the work, I stuck with it and dropped the idea of cabbying.

I agree with you that many people don't see us as having a business or proper job. I don't care. As long as they carry on thinking that way they're not likely to pose a threat as potential competition.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

NWH

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2020, 09:12:18 pm »
As soon as it’s looked at as a like I say “proper” job employing people will be 100 times easier,I can’t see it happening anytime soon the majority of people that stick at it go with someone for a year or so and then start on their own.  2 of you in the van it doesn’t take long for someone to think I only need to get myself a vehicle and knock doors.

Slacky

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2020, 07:13:31 am »
A friend of mine suggested I go into business with him. He had an established window cleaning round, I had 11 years landscaping experience. He figured the two might go together.

One day he bought a T.V., with cash, just like that. I fancied being able to do that as I could never seem to afford anything. So I jumped in after thinking about it for far too long.

We split as an operational business after about 3 weeks  ;D

I took on some of the window cleaning in one area and he carried on elsewhere.

NWH

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2020, 09:25:49 am »
That’s the thing not only does it take someone with a good work ethic because let’s face it the work can be hard going at times but in the main it’s relatively easy,you also need someone without to much ambition or like you and many others they will want to go it alone.
At the end of the day they must have bills to pay like the rest of us.

Col

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2020, 10:35:18 pm »
Girlfriends father had taken early retirement and had started up window cleaning.
I was signing on and he asked me if I wanted to help him out a couple days a week cash in hand on the black.
£10 a day and I started in the winter and it felt like someone was hammering nails into my fingers.
Stuck with it because his daughter was the apple of my eye and £20 doubled my giro.
He got busier and I got a pay rise to £12 a day and five days a week.
He didn't want the hassle to take me on full time through the books so at the grand old age of 24 I borrowed money off my folks  signed off and bought a Mark 1 Ford Fiesta a roof rack and some ladders and set off on my own.
31 years later I am still married to his daughter and still enjoy window cleaning and being my own boss.

NWH

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2020, 10:44:11 pm »
He didn’t want to take anyone on full time eh,not another window cleaner with sense that can smell agro a mile away 🤣🤣🤣