This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Suffolkcleaners

Back or side door for hose reel
« on: July 02, 2020, 09:57:00 am »
Hi guys
System booked in for 6-7 weeks time. 500 litre upright on a ford transit custom. I was lying awake last night and trying to work out what door would be best to have the hose reel coming out of? Think as it stands they said the back door but I was thinking and realising the amount of jobs I have where I always pull up side on and tend to work out the side door.(not always easy to park van so it’s backing on).

Got a trolley dump also for those jobs I will need a backpack and as it stands this will be used from the side door. They have also said I could have a flat tank instead (I’m assuming more compact if I wanted the hose reel on top of the tank) but with the upright I’ve definitely been told I will less likely get air locks and will be better for the trolley dump.

PF also sell a boom arm extender for the electric hose reel (to extend 90 degrees) would this solve my problem for the jobs where I’m side on? Question is back or side door? Cheers

dazmond

Re: Back or side door for hose reel
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 10:20:13 am »
my hose is out the back door for me but my vans smaller than yours(connect LWB).....i have no problem pulling out a load of hose and walking in front of my van if a need to(which i do a few times a month)....

its personal preference
price higher/work harder!

Splash & dash

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 10:59:05 am »
We have floor rollers fitted in all our vans and they come out of the back of it , I wouldn’t want to work  leaving  doors open on the vans , should there be any wind they blow shut , and if anything is stolen your insurance will be invalid as it’s left open , I know some have hoses out of side doors but all the ones I have seen cause an awful trip hazard due to the height the hose comes out at , personally think having it through the floor is the best option

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 11:13:28 am »
We have floor rollers fitted in all our vans and they come out of the back of it , I wouldn’t want to work  leaving  doors open on the vans , should there be any wind they blow shut , and if anything is stolen your insurance will be invalid as it’s left open , I know some have hoses out of side doors but all the ones I have seen cause an awful trip hazard due to the height the hose comes out at , personally think having it through the floor is the best option

Hi Splash.

I thought the back and side doors were the same height. How would having the hose coming out the side be any different to coming out the back in terms of a trip hazard?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 12:15:14 pm »
Because typically out the side door will be on top of a tank. Also typically it will be onto a pavement not the road.
It's a game of three halves!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 12:17:17 pm »
I would go out the back. Maybe put your trolley filler out of the side where gravity and height will be your friends.
It's a game of three halves!

Splash & dash

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 12:19:50 pm »

Hi Splash.

I thought the back and side doors were the same height. How would having the hose coming out the side be any different to coming out the back in terms of a trip hazard?

As has been said the reel is usually on top of the tank , and it will be going straight across a pavement rather than having a loop pulled out away from the van if that makes sense , with underfloor rollers the highest the hose is off the ground is 6-10 inches and it’s totally fkat by the time it reaches the pavement

Splash & dash

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 12:25:34 pm »
I tried a variety of options 18 years ago ,I had the hose going out of the side door , rear doors none of which I found worked well especially if parking  in a line of vehicles in a street , I had and still have fixed reels and free standing ones for some jobs , but find the floor rollers are the best option 99% of the time

david mark

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 04:06:07 pm »
I have 3 reels 1 on each side door and one out the back but the new shape RENAULT TRAFFIC  rear doors can flip of the latch and bend the hinges in high wind might try under floor rollers

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 05:17:08 pm »
Cheers guys. Back doors it is. I’m going for an upright and I think the electric hose reel will be separate near the back doors (and tank at back against bulkhead)

windowswashed

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 07:29:29 pm »

I decided to use a swivel base with an extension roller fitted to electric hose reel so can easily pull hose out alongside the kerb avoiding parked vehicles left or right depending on which side of the road I park, best  decision I ever made.

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 08:07:28 pm »
Hi Windows washed. Looks good. Does that basically take care of the worry of not always being able to back up? Pure Freedom do a boom arm which allows you to work at 90 degrees. Is this similar? Also where did you get the swivel base from? Was that PF as well? I'm getting the reelmaster also :). Do you like this? Is this easy to use etc? Cheers

windowswashed

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 08:11:47 pm »
It's all Pure Freedom. Swivel base is fixed to floorpan. It weighs quite a bit, quite surprised. It's the extension roller, swivel and hose reel. Defintely worth getting the swivel base as makes life a lot easier than a fixed reel when it comes to parking near other vehicles. Use to have underfloor rollers but  not half as good, too much tension on the hosereel under floor pan,  better this way.

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 08:20:07 pm »
Will definitely look into that windows washed. Cheers. How do you find the Reelmaster as a whole?

windowswashed

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 08:30:35 pm »
It's very good.  Almost on full speed reeling in now I'm getting use to it.  Should have bought it years ago, saves so much time getting hose to and from a job with the least of hassle, saves quite a bit of time daily, very surprised. Don't feel tired messing around with manual hoses anymore which is another bonus.

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 08:33:36 pm »
Sounds good. I’ve never used a Manuel hose reel. I’m literally going all in and moving from a backpack to the Reelmaster 👍😃

Den68

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 09:09:27 pm »
I have side and back fixed reels .

NWH

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2020, 09:11:17 pm »
For a 2 man I would go for 1 at the rear and 1 at the side door.

NWH

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 09:12:35 pm »
It would be even easier if you a had twin side loading doors you could reel that 1 out either door.

swanson

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2020, 04:08:40 pm »
out from the back
but i haven't much choice.