This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jk999

Battery to replace car battery on trolly
« on: June 27, 2020, 08:33:20 pm »
i know there are a few intelligent guys on here so here goes ,i use a trolly home made i have been using car batteries but dont last long as they are not meant to run flat as far as im aware i want to change to a battery that is designed to run flat any ideas

Smudger

Re: Battery to replace car battery on trolly
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 09:58:11 pm »
Leisure battery - camping/caravan shops

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 10:49:45 pm »
Ideally no battery should be run flat. It can permanently damage it.

What pump are you using on the trolley?

I use a Pure Freedom trolley. However, about 3-4 years back I replaced the Sureflo pump for one these from eBay

It will run all day on a 10ah Yuasa SLA

The battery pictured is a 7ah which will be good for all day if you are using a 4lpm 60-70psi pump. I'm using a 5lpm 70 psi pump so the battery I'm using is the 10ah version which is 13mm taller. It lasts me 9am-3pm and is still going strong. My round is very compact so it's in use a lot of the time.

It is charged every night.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

jk999

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 12:20:12 pm »
100 psi sureflow pump, i have tried the small pumps but seem to break within a couple of months,

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 01:29:25 pm »
100 psi sureflow pump, i have tried the small pumps but seem to break within a couple of months,

The trouble is that it needs to be a pump that provides enough pressure and water flow without being amps greedy. Shurflo pumps can draw up to 5 amps an hour. A 10 amp battery isn't going to last long driving that pump.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 03:05:25 pm »
This is true Spruce. I tried my Sureflo with one of these batteries and got less than four hours of work done before it died. That's why I decided to try a backpack pump. Bought one from Gardiners first but found it didn't quite provide the flow that I like so bought one of the 5lpm ones off eBay.

I did have the longevity issues as well at first until someone on here suggested the 40amp relay solution. That has worked really well. I've now been using one of these pumps for between 2-3 years with no issues. I've just serviced my trolley over the weekend and took a moment to check out the brushes on the motor. Incredibly they still look hardly used. I'm quite impressed.

I don't know what your pump issues were when you tried these small pumps jk999, but it's usually not the pump itself. They are usually quite robust. In my experience it's usually the pressure switch that quits due to the microswitch failing. If you can solve that, your sorted. As mentioned above if this was your problem you could try the 40amp relay fix.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

jk999

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 03:21:13 pm »
Ok cheers for that ,i was thinking of gel batteries what are they or is that a gel battery what your using

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 03:56:55 pm »
Yes, it is a gel battery.  They usually are referred to as either SLA and or AGM and can be mounted in any position. They are available in most sizes all the way up to the large camping versions. For the Sureflo pump you'll need something about the size of a golf cart battery which is I believe 24-6ah. That was what was originally fitted to my PF trolley. Still a heavy beast which is why I changed the pump over so I could use the smaller battery.

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 07:13:00 pm »
Many people believe that AGM batteries are much better than lead acid batteries.  However, for best performance and longevity regarding charging cycles the experts say that its best if only between 20 and 40%  of current is taken from the battery's capacity.

https://bestforconsumer.com/how-to-charge-an-agm-battery/

See the usage tips at the end of the article. 
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

EandM

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 07:43:44 pm »
Many people believe that AGM batteries are much better than lead acid batteries.  However, for best performance and longevity regarding charging cycles the experts say that its best if only between 20 and 40%  of current is taken from the battery's capacity.

https://bestforconsumer.com/how-to-charge-an-agm-battery/

See the usage tips at the end of the article.

That's very interesting.

I have a 40 amp hour AGM golf cart battery running my pump.

It's halfway through its third year and, so far, has outlasted all my car and leisure batteries.

Probably wouldn't be big enough for most people though.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 08:38:47 pm »
i know there are a few intelligent guys on here so here goes ,i use a trolly home made i have been using car batteries but dont last long as they are not meant to run flat as far as im aware i want to change to a battery that is designed to run flat any ideas

I had a yousa  golf battery on my PF trolley and it lasted a few years......no battery should be run flat....esp leisure batteries...charge them up every night....

I dont understand why you insist on using a trolley anyway....its far easier with a van mount and a lot more efficient.....

price higher/work harder!

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 09:24:33 pm »
Before I modded my current PF trolley I worked with one for about 9 years in it’s standard format (Sureflo & 24ah golf cart battery) and charged it every night after work. I never had a battery last longer than a year. After the first three years I didn’t wait for the battery to die before I ordered a new one. I just used to order a new one about a month before I knew it would die. They used to go almost like clockwork.

Commenting on the other point raised, I use a trolley because it’s better suited to most of my work than a van mounted system. I can earn faster with the trolley most of the time and I don’t have the parking problems I would with a van. A couple of my pals who work in similar areas have found the same is true for them as well and have gone back to working with trolleys.

jk999

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 12:30:32 am »
Cheers guys some good points there,to be honest I never let the battery die charge every night nut never had luck with them

jk999

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 12:54:44 pm »
How good will a 12v 35 amp battery from a mobility scooter be for my trolly

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 01:00:20 pm »
How good will a 12v 35 amp battery from a mobility scooter be for my trolly

Should be fine for the Sureflo.  Pure Freedom fit a 12v 24ah one on their standard trolley. I used to get about a day and a half out of it when running the Sureflo and I forgot to charge it.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 01:20:45 pm »
How much water do you carry on your trolly JK? I just use 25L barrels for weight reasons, but got a mate who built his and his son's trolleys around 60L barrels. I dunno how they manage to pull them around without straining themselves. They are monster trolleys and make mine look like a baby.

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 02:05:09 pm »
I've got 2 100 litre trolleys  ;D

They were made for a large hospital job with 26 courtyards - alright on the flat but a pig if it had to go up a slope

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2020, 02:17:14 pm »
I've got 2 100 litre trolleys  ;D

They were made for a large hospital job with 26 courtyards - alright on the flat but a pig if it had to go up a slope

Darran

Wow. I can imagine them running away with you if you get them on a slope  ;D ;D

jk999

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2020, 02:29:42 pm »
25 ltr i just need something to get me through day because I charge every night ,

Mr.G

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 09:05:50 pm »
I use a 24 amp golf battery on mine, it lasts two days easily if need be.
If you charge it every day it lasts years.
If you run it down flat regularly it cuts the lifespan right down.