This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

Re: Moving over to hose Reel
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 12:23:14 am »
I have a home made system. 650L. (Hyundai iload 1065kg payload. Previous van - (Doblo with 736Kg) payload had a 400L. I've done it all. Backpack, trolley, smallish tank in an estate car, trailer and now van.

If you don't need room for other stuff, are mainly domestic, will never be two person I would put a 500L tank in. (Or get your handyman mate to do it)

Tank - filter - pump - (I don't faff with controllers but you may wish to.) -  reel. (I put pole hose on my reel as it is so much lighter to throw about than microbore.)

Get a leisure battery to run it and ask an auto electrician about getting it charged from the (smart) alternator.

If you love your backpack then have a 11/4" tap in the side of your tank with a bit of hose to go out of the side door so you can put your backpack under it and fill it by gravity.

You can then choose which method for which job.
It's a game of three halves!

Spruce

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 05:25:16 am »
Both options of the facelift and the filling up backpack(like KS) have really given me food for thought now. Just need to work out which way to go and brave the change. Whatever decision I make the lifting has to stop as dot want to do my back in at 41 with a baby to look after also. Need to think of all these things now I’m not a spring chicken lol

My advice:

You are struggling using a backpack. Then go to a van mount. Its saves lugging water around in 'bulk'.
Each of us is built differently. KS Cleaning is older than you, but that doesn't mean you should be able to do the job better than he does because you are younger.

Even with a van mount you can still use your backpack for those occasional times.

As regards tanks, everyone will have a different opinion. I fitted 500 liter Wyedale tanks to both the lad's vans. It gave them plenty in reserve. IMHO you will use more water with a van mount than you did using a backpack. My son does.

Setup time with a van mount will probably be longer than using a backpack, but cleaning time is quicker. in our experience on normal everyday houses. When there's a big job to do then the hose reel is far quicker and less tiring.

A good tank frame can be purchased from Purefreedom for a Wydale tank as can the other components.

My suggestion is to get PF to fit the tank as well. They will know exactly where to position the tank on your van so as to not overload either axle.
When your insurance company asks if the tank has been professional fitted you have the receipt to say it has.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2020, 08:05:29 am »
Thanks guys. 4 or 5 different options there will have to think it all over. KS with the system you have can you have the hose reel attached and the option to fill backpack? I’m assuming you can? Best of both worlds maybe?

High-Tower

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 08:31:30 am »
you can fit a separate 'fast fill' to most tanks for filling a backpack/trolley, either a large diameter outlet and hose to gravity feed or a higher flow 12v pump.

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2020, 08:35:45 am »
You'll use more water using a van mount than your backpack and barrels for sure as your not having to scrimp on water....

If were you I'd go for a 500L wydale tank and pure freedom frame and get your local garage to bolt it down in your van....then id either get a ready made plug and play pumpbox or a controller and pump mounted on a board with a 105ah battery....

Reel wise I'd recommend a PF reelmaster fixed in your van(I screw mine into a piece of plastic covered chipboard).....then your ready to go......

You'll be able to fill your backpack up  from the van mount if you really need too but I dont have any jobs where I use a backpack.....its just so damn easy to reel out some hose and get on with it! ;D
price higher/work harder!

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2020, 10:25:13 am »
Thanks so much guys

Going to look at a 500 litre tank with an option of the fitting so I can fill the backpack if necessary.  Or maybe the facelift one also (425). For a first time user would you go Manuel or electric hose reel?

Also is a upright better than a flat tank?

High-Tower

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2020, 10:56:12 am »
i would go electric if you can afford it, you'll end up wanting to upgrade anyway if you buy a manual.
Uprights are better.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2020, 02:59:47 pm »
Thanks guys. 4 or 5 different options there will have to think it all over. KS with the system you have can you have the hose reel attached and the option to fill backpack? I’m assuming you can? Best of both worlds maybe?
I don’t have a hose reel but yes you can do it. Easiest way is by having a t-piece so you can have water diverting to either the hose reel or to the hose for filling backpack. Alternatively you can have a separate outlet cut out of the tank. If you are only going to be using the backpack now and again I would go for the first option.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2020, 03:02:25 pm »
Thanks so much guys

Going to look at a 500 litre tank with an option of the fitting so I can fill the backpack if necessary.  Or maybe the facelift one also (425). For a first time user would you go Manuel or electric hose reel?

Also is a upright better than a flat tank?
Better with an upright, less chance of airlocks and better if you’re using gravity to fill a backpack.

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2020, 09:13:27 pm »
Thanks KS and everyone for your input. Sorry one other question.... when you get the tank (if I buy online etc) what do I need to ask for/order to get the fitting I need to be able to fill the backpack from the 500 L tank? Also what do I need to transfer the water? Just a bit of hose? Sorry so many questions I know....

KS Cleaning

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2020, 11:14:49 pm »
Thanks KS and everyone for your input. Sorry one other question.... when you get the tank (if I buy online etc) what do I need to ask for/order to get the fitting I need to be able to fill the backpack from the 500 L tank? Also what do I need to transfer the water? Just a bit of hose? Sorry so many questions I know....
If you are having a separate outlet for filling the backpack let’s say it’s a 1” female outlet, from the outlet you would need, in the following order
1” BSP male /male equal hex,
 1” BSP female/male elbow,
1” BSP female/female butterfly tap,
 1” BSP male hosetail
approx 1 metre of 1” hose and a jubilee clip.
Obviously if you get a bigger outlet you just get the size to suit.
You can get all these 1” BSP items in stainless steel from BES.co.uk.

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2020, 11:57:13 pm »
Thanks for your patience Lol and advice. Looked on tanks direct and you can get a 500 litre upright for 200 odd quid. This comes with the option of the 1“ female BSP outlet. (So I would need to select that option). Then for tap/hose tail options I would pick the TPK1 option for tap with hose tail for 1”.(with option for a bit of hose)

Don’t know what the BSP plastic plug and filter basket options are but think (and hope the penny has dropped lol).

Plz let me know if I have got that wrong as don’t want to buy the wrong thing. In the meantime I can get the tank sorted in the van and then work on getting the other bits a little later 👍

KS Cleaning

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2020, 12:44:58 am »
Thanks for your patience Lol and advice. Looked on tanks direct and you can get a 500 litre upright for 200 odd quid. This comes with the option of the 1“ female BSP outlet. (So I would need to select that option). Then for tap/hose tail options I would pick the TPK1 option for tap with hose tail for 1”.(with option for a bit of hose)

Don’t know what the BSP plastic plug and filter basket options are but think (and hope the penny has dropped lol).

Plz let me know if I have got that wrong as don’t want to buy the wrong thing. In the meantime I can get the tank sorted in the van and then work on getting the other bits a little later 👍
I wouldn’t get the tap kit, you will get everything you need from BES. The example I’ve given you is for a separate outlet for backpack fast fill. If you are using the same outlet for the hose reel and backpack fast fill you will need an equal tee in there somewhere to branch off, as well as the relevant fittings to get a feed to the reel. Someone that uses a reel should be able to give you advice on this?

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2020, 08:15:19 am »
Thank you KS. I’m assuming I would still select the option of the 1” BSP female outlet rather than select none and then fit the fittings necessary to have the duel backpack and hose options.(although no idea what I’m doing so hoping my handyman can help with all these extras)

Failing that the Facelift system looks fairly simple also. Just need to make a decision and go for it......

Thanks again

KS Cleaning

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2020, 08:47:41 am »
Thank you KS. I’m assuming I would still select the option of the 1” BSP female outlet rather than select none and then fit the fittings necessary to have the duel backpack and hose options.(although no idea what I’m doing so hoping my handyman can help with all these extras)

Failing that the Facelift system looks fairly simple also. Just need to make a decision and go for it......

Thanks again
I will take a photo of my fast fill after work today which will give you some idea how it works.

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2020, 08:50:01 am »
Right decision made. I’m starting off the same as KS. Enduramaxx 500 litre upright that comes with the 1.5 outlet. I like the idea of filling my backpack in 8 seconds. Just a final few questions KS(sorry)

1.... Does the outlet come on the side or front of tank? I have a back and side door on my custom but would prob prefer to work from side door

2.... The tap etc that I need I just buy from BES to attach to the already 1.5 outlet?

3.... How is the backpack filled? Is it a bit of hose and gravity is used? Or a gun attached and just blast it in?

4.... Final question if I want to then try the hose reel down the line I’m assuming I can change fittings etc as keep the existing  tank?

Love the idea of no more barrels... and know deep down I will have to move to hose reel eventually but this is a compromise and still saves massively on the lifting if I can just fill backpack from tank.

Won’t ask anything more now lol. Really appreciate the advice 👍

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2020, 08:51:50 am »
Just saw your message KS. Pictures would be great. Thanks so much

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2020, 08:57:37 am »
Ps as long as it’s an option to potentially change fittings down the road for a hose reel then this seems the right choice for me currently. Plus (thanks to Darran advice) with the fold down trolley crate I wouldn’t do any lifting at all.

Ps the fold down trolley crate (used first time yesterday) was brilliant. Something you might want to try KS.  I think if you had that as well you would have the perfect set up for you as you wouldn’t lift at all. Only lifting would be putting the backpack back in van once finished. £14.99 on eBay it’s a steal

KS Cleaning

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2020, 02:29:43 pm »
Here is pic of my set up. From the 1 1/2” male outlet, all in 1 1/2” BSP stainless steel I have, female/male elbow, female/female lever tap, male hosetail, hose. There is nothing on the end of the hose, the hose just goes straight into the backpack.
If you are also going to use pump and hose reel you would put a stainless steel reducing tee before the elbow and branch off towards the pump using the relevant fittings.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2020, 02:31:26 pm »
The pic is distorted a bit, my tank is actually a bit more upright than that and not as square as shown in the pic :-\