Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jay moley

Dangerous work
« on: May 26, 2020, 09:05:48 pm »
Have you got many jobs that are risky/dangerous?

I've got a few where you have to pole off the ladder. I'm thinking of getting rid of them. I don't think it's worth the risk of falling.

Had another one today where there was hardly an room to move on a flat roof due to two large skylights. If I tripped I'd be straight through them!

It can be worth a potential life changing accident can it?

TomCrowther

Re: Dangerous work
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 09:09:12 pm »
I used to have two franchisees, now only got one. I have a number of jobs that I wouldn't have considered putting on their rounds as they are a tad risky. Funny thing is, I don't consider them risky for me?  Mainly big houses with recessed windows accessed via flat roofs etc. So yes.

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 09:25:19 pm »

I've got a few where you have to pole off the ladder. I'm thinking of getting rid of them. I don't think it's worth the risk of falling.

Had another one today where there was hardly an room to move on a flat roof due to two large skylights. If I tripped I'd be straight through them!

no...ive got  rid of them all now......up and over garage roof jobs were the worst for me...now its fronts only or through the garage......

why do you need to pole from a ladder?ive not got a single job that i need to do this on.....do you just need a longer pole?
price higher/work harder!

Splash & dash

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 09:52:38 pm »
No reputable buisness should be doing dangerous work are you doing a risk assessment?.. obviously not , if the risk cannot be reduced the job should not be done until measures are put in place to make it safe , cost is not a prohibited factor for working safely ,if the customer isn’t prepared to pay to have the job dine safely then we won’t do it .

jay moley

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 10:16:03 pm »

no...ive got  rid of them all now......up and over garage roof jobs were the worst for me...now its fronts only or through the garage......

why do you need to pole from a ladder?ive not got a single job that i need to do this on.....do you just need a longer pole?

Ordering a longer pole this week (SLX-39) so that would solve some.

The others are where large conservatorys stop poling from the ground, so ladder up and pole off it. Well dodgey.

jay moley

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 10:16:51 pm »
No reputable buisness should be doing dangerous work are you doing a risk assessment?.. obviously not , if the risk cannot be reduced the job should not be done until measures are put in place to make it safe , cost is not a prohibited factor for working safely ,if the customer isn’t prepared to pay to have the job dine safely then we won’t do it .

I'm finally doing the risk assessment now!

Should have done it ages ago.

Stoots

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 10:43:49 pm »
I've done the poling from a ladder thing before lol when I couldn't afford a longer pole.

These days I don't take on anything other than easy access simple work. No ladders, no super long poles, no climbing etc.

Bin them.

nathankaye

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 11:52:15 pm »
It depends where/what level your business is at.  Most on here like daz or gomo etc are well established lad who have refined their work down.
Myself until recent times as well.   Its a nice position to be in, to assess the work and if it is too much trouble or faff we can nicely decline.
If your not in that position, then work out the best and safest method in which you can operate and then quickly change it.  A short while ago, I thought my height and pole length would reach a particular roof window and it didnt.  I had a choice to either use the ladders (which I happened to have on the van that day) or simply skip that window.  I opted for the latter and explained this to the customer.  Then that night I ordered another extension pole so that I could clean it on the next visit.  I also picked up other houses on the street as I could safely clean those particular windows and I soon made my money back on that extension pole.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

jay moley

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 12:11:59 am »
I've done jobs this week I shouldn't have.

Not doing it anymore.

I'll be getting rid of these jobs, it's just not worth the risk.

harleyman

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 05:05:57 am »
Back in the day  good old fashioned window cleaners would not of though twice about  doing half the stuff talked about trouble is since w fp  was invented .a lot  of people have got  soft .won't even get off ladders off van  to get over gate.. that's the trouble when you have only worked in factorys offices ..and the like. I stiil do awkward stuff even climb gates evevev though I use W F P.

Shrek

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 06:54:41 am »
Back in the day  good old fashioned window cleaners would not of though twice about  doing half the stuff talked about trouble is since w fp  was invented .a lot  of people have got  soft .won't even get off ladders off van  to get over gate.. that's the trouble when you have only worked in factorys offices ..and the like. I stiil do awkward stuff even climb gates evevev though I use W F P.

More work for you then eh? You must be rolling in it!

simon w

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 07:35:14 am »
I've always enjoyed the dangerous stuff, gets's the heart beating and reminds me I'm alive .  :-*

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 08:51:51 am »

I've worked outside all my life and 17 years trad before going wfp 10 years ago..I've done all the dodgy ladder jobs and rubbish jobs......

I'm older and wiser now....I can pick and choose what work to take on these days....

I've never worked in an office in my life!

Farm work
Landscape gardening
Window cleaning
Drumming

That's it!👍😀

zesty

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 10:46:35 am »
All I’ve done is work outside as well daz.

And one thing is sure, landscape gardening is flipping hard work!

alank

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 10:50:06 am »
I've been in this game a long time both trad and WFP as I got older I haven't become soft I've just got more sense.  I no longer have to work on low value or risky jobs so i don't because i have the opportunity to develop my business with the work that's suitable for me ;D

NWH

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 11:00:48 am »
I think you need a longer pole then,the things I did off of ladders makes me cringe I couldn’t do it today fully extended old 3 floors second to top run stretching 🤣 never again.

nathankaye

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 11:05:11 am »
Haha   people becoming soft hahaha

Its about making your business work for you and when your a well established business you can cherry pick the work you want and yes this is work without the added faff being needed.   Its about being sensible in the choices we make.

Yes, Ive gone back to trad work, I also did trad work for 14 yrs prior to using wfp.  That doesnt mean im going back to climbing over roof tiles to get a window nor climbing over gates again because of using ladders.   Hence why I sorted a pole and trolley again.
(Yes sensible choices and i buy wfp again lol! )
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 04:07:49 pm »
It doesn’t make you any more of a man digging a hole by hand lol,as they say only fools and horses work.
It’s hard enough using a pole but imo it’s easy compared to climbing a ladder every day,why would you want to do that if the equipment is available to not have to,especially when you’ve been WFP.

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2020, 07:56:20 am »
I think you need a longer pole then,the things I did off of ladders makes me cringe I couldn’t do it today fully extended old 3 floors second to top run stretching 🤣 never again.

Holding on to a little open window for dear life!yep...I've done it all......like a stuntman without the glamour!🤣

Climbing on a frosted sloping roof in the middle of  winter to clean a window....looking back I dont know how I didnt break my neck....

Slacky

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2020, 08:29:26 am »
Ive worked in agriculture, at home and abroad; landscaping for 11 years and window cleaning for 22. I'd say farming is by far the most dangerous job because of the machinery involved. However, window cleaning is where the risks were taken.

What Daz just said about frosty sloping rooves, hanging on to a window frame, been there, done that; its nuts.