Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ooooooog

Government are making it up as they go along.

DO NOT TRUST THEM.

Do you want them to make it up in the past? But yeah, never trust them.

I’d like them to plan ahead, not react  incompetently to each progression.
Not much to ask for.

KS Cleaning

Does anyone think that this grant could now lead to a stricter lockdown?

No.  The Chief Medical Officer spoke about the travel to work thing.  That was taken into consideration with the current modelling the government is using to flatten the curve.

And he says - it will be a close run thing - but that the curve should flatten in the way they predict using the current situation we have now.

As long as people behave and follow the current guidelines.
I do hope he’s right.

Missing Link

No.  The Chief Medical Officer spoke about the travel to work thing.  That was taken into consideration with the current modelling the government is using to flatten the curve.

And he says - it will be a close run thing - but that the curve should flatten in the way they predict using the current situation we have now.

I do hope he’s right.

I bet he hopes he's right too.  ;D

Time will tell.

In the off-topic area Soupy posted a nerdy mathematics thing that gives a basic insight into how they model infections.  Take a look, it's interesting.

I've read somewhere that 'someone clever' (I'm crap at remembering detail) correctly modelled the Chinese outbreak, so it can work within certain parameters.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

Slacky

DO NOT TRUST THEM.

Umm, well, they would be, wouldn't they; these events are unprecedented.

But of course you'd do a better job wouldn't you.

Honestly, would you say they are proactive or reactive? Think about it.

DO NOT TRUST THEM.

I seriously think they are being pro-active.

They've in the course of the last  week thrown together an economical rescue package the likes we and pretty much no other advanced country has ever seen. Its likely to eclipse any other countries rescue package by a country mile except for that of Americas.

But of course for some it just isnt enough. Especially for those with an oversized  sense of entitlement.

Missing Link

Its likely to eclipse any other countries rescue package by a country mile except for that of Americas.

I'll have to take a look, but that would surprise me.  The US isn't great at giving free money away to the plebs.

But it is an election year over there, so anything's possible.

Slacky

I mean by volume of cash,  and am only assuming the yanks package will be bigger han ours due to the numbers/population over there.

Missing Link

Our government is pretty generous mind; isn't this quite amazing?

I guess it's a broad brush stroke to keep the administration simple and to speed it all up.

There are five million of us, remember.

Some civil servants are going to have a heck of a time sorting all this out; stress and long hours.

Ooooooog

I mean by volume of cash,  and am only assuming the yanks package will be bigger han ours due to the numbers/population over there.

How much have they handed over so far?
Don’t be naive.

Missing Link

How much have they handed over so far?
Don’t be naive.

There's a presidential election in November and Trump wants a second term.

It's not his money he'll be giving away.

I suggest it's you that's being naive.

Slacky

Someone’s confused.

Is it because a Conservative Govt is doing something you’ve only ever dreamed they would?

G Griffin

Let's hope so but I'm not very trusting .
I should have emphasised the 'could'. I think that they had to get these deals in place before they could enforce a lockdown on all but key workers.
I hope it never comes to that but we're at the start of this thing, really. Temporary hospitals are being built and they're putting beds on the hospital car park near us.
A stricter lockdown could happen if things get bad enough.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

NWH

They know what’s coming I reckon in a few weeks maybe less we will be moaning about not being allowed out of our houses.

Missing Link

Sure; anything's possible.  I'm personally keeping my fingers crossed that the models were based on pessimistically judged variables.

And some other stuff which is probably better suited to the off-topic corona post.

G Griffin

DO NOT TRUST THEM.

Umm, well, they would be, wouldn't they; these events are unprecedented.

But of course you'd do a better job wouldn't you.

Honestly, would you say they are proactive or reactive? Think about it.

DO NOT TRUST THEM.

I seriously think they are being pro-active.

They've in the course of the last  week thrown together an economical rescue package the likes we and pretty much no other advanced country has ever seen. Its likely to eclipse any other countries rescue package by a country mile except for that of Americas.

But of course for some it just isnt enough. Especially for those with an oversized  sense of entitlement.
A bit harsh, Matt. To some it isn't enough.
And we'll have to pay it back, you know.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

KS Cleaning

Still waiting on a response from NWH, he was gloating how others would be affected by this virus more than him, lol this and lol that. Now assuming he’s not full of the brown stuff, if you do the simple maths on what he claims he earns, I reckon he must be well over the 50k cut off. He who laughs last and all that😉
F.A.O NWH!

JackieW

Who can apply?

''if you are self employed ........and have lost trading/partnership trading profits due to COVID-19''.

If I carry on cleaning windows I will not lose any profits and therefore will not be able to claim.

If I stop cleaning windows that's my choice to stop trading when I could have carried on.  So no claim.

I'm still confused. :)

p1w1

Who can apply?

''if you are self employed ........and have lost trading/partnership trading profits due to COVID-19''.

If I carry on cleaning windows I will not lose any profits and therefore will not be able to claim.

If I stop cleaning windows that's my choice to stop trading when I could have carried on.  So no claim.

I'm still confused. :)
I can see why you would be

JackieW

Would it in hindsight have been better for the government to have said,

''Unless you do at least one of the following jobs as your main source of income, (followed by a list of employments)
then  stay home, shut up and claim the help we will provide?

bravo20

also dont contact them...THEYLL CONTACT YOU IF YOUR ELIGIBLE! ::)roll

better get off to work lads

To be eligible you need to have submitted a tax return for 2019 and have profits of under 50k.
The tax year's not even over yet .
Are they getting some iou's in?

I am going to do my accounts in April like I did last year to get it over and done with, so that will give HMRC 2019/20 and 2018/19 to hopefully get an average because I only started self employment in January 2018 and earned about £1500 until April 5th (3 months).

Have they said this can be done? I thought it was 18/19 and the two previous years only? Surely allowing the next return leaves it far too open to fraud?

As does giving people 4 weeks grace to complete last years return, that is already 2 months late.

They're  late, fine them the £100, add the interest as per the rules, don't give them the chance to fiddle it to claim more.

They could then move quicker and get the ones who follow the rules processed quicker.

Dry Clean

Let's hope so but I'm not very trusting .
I should have emphasised the 'could'. I think that they had to get these deals in place before they could enforce a lockdown on all but key workers.
I hope it never comes to that but we're at the start of this thing, really. Temporary hospitals are being built and they're putting beds on the hospital car park near us.

Cant see it Griff, there's a reason why non essential factories and so forth haven't been forced to close, cost, the vast majority of forced closures will be minimum wage, part time hour jobs and wont cost anything close to £2500 a month to cover them, they also don't tend to bring in a lot of tax revenue so no real loss there as well.
It will be interesting to see what the self employed actually get, I suspect it will be loss of earnings due to cancelled work rather than refusing to go out and work which will be covered.