This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jack Knight

Staff wages
« on: February 24, 2020, 01:03:30 pm »
I've reached the stage, after 30 years of being quite happy working alone or roping in sons when I fell behind, where I seriously need to consider employing someone properly.

My question to those who employ, what do you consider a fair wage?

I obviously want to pay enough to keep a decent, reliable worker happy  but there's clearly a limit.

Also on what basis do you employ?

A zero hours contract perhaps??

I'm just thinking ahead to days and weeks like those we've had where it rains heavily more often than not.

Your advice is very welcome 😊

Smudger

Re: Staff wages
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 01:34:47 pm »
it depends on what you want and how much you will use them...

I don't like zero hours as I think its morally questionable - however if your employee wants a zero hours then go down this route - remember they still accrue holiday entitlement

Part time is a very good option - you can usually get an older early retired person who would like 10 to 15 hours a week

wages - min wage is what £8.50 so there's a starting point - we pay between £9.50 and £14.00 p/h depending on experience/spped/quality

you could do self employed but it won't command any loyalty

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 01:56:43 pm »
I've employed quite a few part timers over the last couple of years now.

For me I don't have any interest anymore in growing a big business, going VAT reg and having guys out on there own etc.

Having dabbled with the idea before and having a second van I hated it to be honest.  There's no way I'd want loads of staff.

Anyway what I do quite like, (when you can find the right person which is a feat in itself ) is having a worker along in the van with me two or 3 days a week and working as a 2 man.

It makes the day easier, you can get the lad to do the awkward backs whilst you do the fronts and if you can find someone you get in with you can have a bit of a laugh. It can be more motivating rather than slacking off and going home at 2 you can push on and start early and work till 4 or 5 and really smash out the work. It's quite important that if you are planning on having someone in the van with you all day you must get on. It's horrible having someone with you that you don't get on with. Just won't work.

Anyway with the wages thing, you can only pay what you can afford to pay. So if you normally turnover 250 solo and with 2 of you its 400 then you really can't afford to pay them much at all. Minimum wage really otherwise what's the point if there's next to no profit in it.

I would personally pay minimum wage or  above for a "helper" and get them on a zero hour contract as well. Covers your bottom. I think that's a "fair" wage for this type of employee. They are not driving, not sorting work sheets out, not dealing with customers. They are just a non skilled worker really, most factory jobs etc are minimum wage. They only have to jump out of the van scrub some glass them jump back in.

If you are having a full time guy out on his own then of course it's different. You would want to pay them as well as possible and give them a proper contract. That's when they are more of an asset.

Oh and I wouldn't get an older person either, tried this and they were slow. You need a young un thats physically able to work at speed without getting out of breath.

NWH

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 02:03:50 pm »
What part of the country are you in.

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 02:21:24 pm »

are you looking for work Nigel ?
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

P @ F

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 04:02:24 pm »

are you looking for work Nigel ?
Yes , his heater is due a full service  ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

NWH

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 04:09:21 pm »
If you offered minimum wage down south you definitely wouldn’t get anyone worth taking on,you need to offer some sort of incentive-bonus Sheme so they can way up whether it’s worth it for them as well as you.
If you knew anything about this job you wouldn’t want to go out in all weathers for 70  odd quid a day would you,especially when they know his wages will be earned on or before 9 o’clock in the morning,I’ve paid peanuts before and it doesn’t work for long you’ll be lucky to hang onto anyone for 3 months if they’ve any clue they wouldn’t take the job in the first place. 

SB Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 04:45:21 pm »
Sell some work.

Employees are a headache better off on your own :)

Soupy

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 04:57:02 pm »

NWH

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 05:01:02 pm »
Just pay em 320 quid every 2 weeks if there up North  that’s what most of em up there are on anyway lol.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 06:25:03 pm »
pay them cash in hand if you just want a part time helper a few days a week.....its just not worth it to employ them legit if their working 16 hours a week
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 06:27:53 pm »
£50 a day if their any good..... ;D
price higher/work harder!

SB Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 09:26:57 am »
£50 a day if their any good..... ;D
I had someone say he would work for £20 a day a couple of years back :D he was a right p head so I didn't even contemplate it.

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 09:43:19 am »
Plenty of lad would work for 50/60 a day.

Up north anyway.

Always shining

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 11:44:36 am »
Which part of the country are you in?

Jack Knight

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 06:29:23 pm »
Sell some work.

Employees are a headache better off on your own :)

Noooooo. I've worked for the past 30 years pretty much alone but as I wasn't smart enough as a young man to take out a pension my business is my income in old age. Therefore I need it to grow and prosper; otherwise once I stop working I stop earning 😕😕

NWH

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 06:56:05 pm »
Not many people have a good enough pension to stop working today in the world we live in,how much honestly do you need to live comfortably today with how much everything costs a damn site more than a few hundred quid a week we will all most of us work till we drop lol.

Stoots

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 07:49:54 pm »
Yeh it's hard to build a pension today.

Much easier to build a business that pays you in retirement.