Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

rb4no

8mm vs 6mm hose
« on: February 13, 2020, 08:00:05 am »
Hi guys, I’ve got some old 8mm hose that’s now old and brittle and as such now needs to be replaced. I appreciate 8mm is stronger and some say better if you use heat. But what would the advantages of 6mm be and what do you use?

dazmond

Re: 8mm vs 6mm hose
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 08:52:17 am »
I cant believe  some window cleaners are still using 8mm hose!...get the 6mm,....its just easier to drag around

I use the red hose from pure freedom
price higher/work harder!

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 09:11:09 am »
Hi guys, I’ve got some old 8mm hose that’s now old and brittle and as such now needs to be replaced. I appreciate 8mm is stronger and some say better if you use heat. But what would the advantages of 6mm be and what do you use?

I believe that the general consensus is the microbore 6mm is better for hot water than 8mm minibore is.

Because Daz uses hot water all the time he will not notice a flow difference between both hoses when using cold water.

I have two hose reels on the van, one with minibore and one with microbore.
With regard to the microbore, there is a noticeable flow rate difference using cold water in winter.  Its not a problem on our usual preferred flow rate in summer.

We lift the reels in and out of the van. The microbore hose reel is noticeably lighter.

In the cold microbore hose is less manageable than the minibore is. It is stiffer. This might be because the minibore is much older and came from a different supplier when we purchased the hose reel. I honestly had no problem using minibore for the past 14 years with cold.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

rb4no

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 10:15:18 am »
thanks fellas, think i'll give the 6mm a go at pure freedom! many thanks

mufcglen

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 02:11:22 pm »
I use 6mm with hot water and let me tell you it’s a lot easier when your in one of those situations when you’ve got the pole extended and need to pull a tad more reel hose closer to you lol!
When I changed from 8 to 6mm I certainly noticed the difference pulling it out and about and I think the electric reel prefers reeling it in too!

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 04:55:48 pm »
i think we should all club together and get spruce a hot water system(even if its just an immersion set up),6mm microbore,xtreme pole and fixed electric reel.....itll revolutionize his working day! :)

to be dragging around  cold, stiff 8mm minibore hose in winter,using a SLX pole and lifting hose reels out of the van at his age must be tough some days.....

£500....HD electric reel and 100m microbore
£600...xtreme 22ft pole
£100...immersion set up

so thats £1200.....if 60 window cleaners all put £20 in you ll be sorted spruce.... ;)

deeege

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 05:25:36 pm »
And why would a load of window cleaners (most of whom won’t have that setup themselves) want to throw away their hard earned cash to pay for equipment for somebody they don’t know and have never met? 😂😂
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 06:23:50 pm »
And why would a load of window cleaners (most of whom won’t have that setup themselves) want to throw away their hard earned cash to pay for equipment for somebody they don’t know and have never met? 😂😂

its happened before(when frankybadboy had his cycling accident)....although all i get is abuse off him these days on here...maybe his injuries have made him extra grumpy!i dunno ;D

spruce is a national treasure!and certainly a CIU legend!

jonboywalton75

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 07:23:06 pm »

its happened before(when frankybadboy had his cycling accident)....although all i get is abuse off him these days on here...maybe his injuries have made him extra grumpy!i dunno ;D

spruce is a national treasure!and certainly a CIU legend!

He's definitely a CIU legend, very helpful guy

Spruce

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 08:10:43 am »
Thank you all for your kind words. I enjoy the forums as I honestly get more from them than I contribute. It what keeps me going.

Actually Daz, the reality is that hot water isn't going to help me clean any more houses a day. I'm limited by what I can physically do a day.

I'm not asking for sympathy: it comes to us all in one form or another as we get older. Some will be in better physical condition than others. There will come a time when I will have to call it quits even although my motto is to retire when I expire.  ;D

This is the first winter I had found working very trying. I believe it's been much more windy this winter and hopefully that's the answer.  Fighting the wind is very energy zapping for me.

It looks a better day today weather wise than it been for a while so let's hope for a good one.

RPCCS

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 08:27:28 am »
i think we should all club together and get spruce a hot water system(even if its just an immersion set up),6mm microbore,xtreme pole and fixed electric reel.....itll revolutionize his working day! :)

to be dragging around  cold, stiff 8mm minibore hose in winter,using a SLX pole and lifting hose reels out of the van at his age must be tough some days.....

£600...xtreme 22ft pole
£100...immersion set up

so thats £1200.....if 60 window cleaners all put £20 in you ll be sorted spruce.... ;)
. Well if 120 window cleaners did that, yous could all get one for me too.  ;D ;D ;D
Cheers Rich

Spruce

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 08:46:47 am »

£600...xtreme 22ft pole
£100...immersion set up

. Well if 120 window cleaners did that, yous could all get one for me too.  ;D ;D ;D

I think its called 'crowd funding'.  ;D ;D

deeege

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 09:01:49 am »
No doubt that Spruce is an asset to the forum, but good luck trying to get 50+ tight fisted window cleaners to part with their cash.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

jonboywalton75

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 09:30:11 am »
No doubt that Spruce is an asset to the forum, but good luck trying to get 50+ tight fisted window cleaners to part with their cash.

We're not all tightfisted actually
Daz has offered to lend me  10 grand for my first heated system, thanks Daz ;D

robbo333

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 09:52:56 am »
Thank you all for your kind words. I enjoy the forums as I honestly get more from them than I contribute. It what keeps me going.

Actually Daz, the reality is that hot water isn't going to help me clean any more houses a day. I'm limited by what I can physically do a day.

I'm not asking for sympathy: it comes to us all in one form or another as we get older. Some will be in better physical condition than others. There will come a time when I will have to call it quits even although my motto is to retire when I expire.  ;D

This is the first winter I had found working very trying. I believe it's been much more windy this winter and hopefully that's the answer.  Fighting the wind is very energy zapping for me.

It looks a better day today weather wise than it been for a while so let's hope for a good one.

To make my life easier, I added 30m of Gardiners Reinforced Pole hose onto my main reel.
It is noticeably lighter and easier than the microbore, with no real loss of flow. Also it lays flat across the pavement.
Might be worth a try.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 10:03:39 am »

you are defo an asset to this forum spruce(and the other one) but what i dont understand is lifting reels out of the van instead of a fixed reel?and using 8mm hose?ive used all different set ups during my 10 years WFP....

1.trolleys and barrels
2.backpack and barrels
3.lifting reels out of the van
4.8mm hose
5.lots of different poles(ali/glassfibre,hybrid,full carbon and hi mod)
6.cold water/hot water,etc....

it seems crazy that your still lifting reels out of your van,i havent done that for years now......i find all the little changes add up to make a big difference to my working day...also 8mm is heavy!its a pain to drag around!i just turned my flow up in the winter months when i used cold water....

Stoots

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 02:16:41 pm »
I wouldn't give most of you lot a penny, especially not daz... He's got too much spare already  :P

But if I was to donate to anyone gladly it would be Spruce, without a doubt the most helpfull guy in the world of window cleaning forums.  Whenever I've searched the forums looking for answers to questions and I see spruce has replied I know it's worth reading.

But having used both 8 and 6mm I can say that in the cold the 8mm becomes a pig to deal with. The 6mm is more supple and easier to work with.

zesty

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 09:55:40 pm »
Agree Adam, spruce is a forum legend.

The rest of us are just here for BANTS and Arguments, and sometimes the odd bit of seriousness...

jonboywalton75

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2020, 09:09:17 am »
Agree Adam, spruce is a forum legend.

The rest of us are just here for BANTS and Arguments, and sometimes the odd bit of seriousness...

HEY!!!!!!
I'm always serious  ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2020, 02:50:50 pm »
I use 65 metres of 6mm microbore plus 35 metres of streamline pole hose on my reel.
It's a game of three halves!