Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

David E Wainwrght

Sodium vs biocide
« on: February 14, 2020, 04:39:50 pm »
Hi folks, I am just over a year IN the trade and for most that time I have used SH, SUFACTANT & SCENT MASK when removing black spot ect.

I see some people taking about Biocides, I've had a look and they are more expensive then SH,

so I suppose my question is why and when would you choose biocide over SH when it's cheaper to use SH.

THANKS.

Mike Halliday

Re: Sodium vs biocide
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 05:08:21 pm »
Biocides kill slowly but have a residual effect

HP has a slight killing effect but does nothing long term , from the moment it dries the problem starts to come back.

imagine bombing a hotel at that moment you kill every  guest  but the next day the hotel is fine,  so  guest start coming back that’s HP

Imagine spraying a biological poison all over the hotel so it slowly kill all the guest, then the guest who arrive to morrow also die, plus all the guest for the next 6 months also get infected and die.... this is a biocide
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 05:32:25 pm »

HP has a slight killing effect but does nothing long term , from the moment it dries the problem starts to come back.

imagine bombing a hotel at that moment you kill every  guest  but the next day the hotel is fine,  so  guest start coming back that’s HP

Imagine spraying a biological poison all over the hotel so it slowly kill all the guest, then the guest who arrive to morrow also die, plus all the guest for the next 6 months also get infected and die.... this is a biocide

Mike I know you are a very experienced guy but what you have said is simply not true , bio has no residual preventative effects at all , I have done extensive testing on my own properties I did half of a path with hypo and the other half with bio , it took about 3 weeks for the bio tk kill and clean one bit and within 2 months it was as green as grass again ,the bit dine with hypo stayed clear for well over 8 months , bio is useful for spraying on roofs after scraping tk kill of the remainder and that’s about it , it’s a very expensive con , hypo will give instant results bio doesn’t , again with bio once it’s rained it’s all washed away so how can it carry on preventing re growth ? I know this is a very emotive subject , bio dies have its uses but it’s not all that it’s cracked up to be , I have tried the vast majority that are in the market and there isn’t much difference between any of them .

David E Wainwrght

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 05:48:24 pm »
So why would you prefer to use bio on a roof to kill of the last bits, if it's no better then hypo.

Just asking out of quriosity. Thanks

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 06:10:22 pm »

Mike I know you are a very experienced guy but what you have said is simply not true , bio has no residual preventative effects at all , I have done extensive testing on my own properties I did half of a path with hypo and the other half with bio , it took about 3 weeks for the bio tk kill and clean one bit and within 2 months it was as green as grass again ,the bit dine with hypo stayed clear for well over 8 months , bio is useful for spraying on roofs after scraping tk kill of the remainder and that’s about it , it’s a very expensive con , hypo will give instant results bio doesn’t , again with bio once it’s rained it’s all washed away so how can it carry on preventing re growth ? I know this is a very emotive subject , bio dies have its uses but it’s not all that it’s cracked up to be , I have tried the vast majority that are in the market and there isn’t much difference between any of them .

To be honest I find this a bit of a quandary, like you I’ve done test at home when ever I get some spare in a sprayer I use it up  around the house.

I did a test on my gate and it stayed clean, the question is would it have stayed clean if I had just powerwashed off the green algi or did the biocide keep it clean. It’s impossible to say.  The question is does the product penetrate into the porous service so does not wash of totally with a single rinse  Or does it slowly dilute under subsequent rainfall so the effect gradually weakens

I think this would be a great investigation for the companies selling the product, it would be quite easy to test whether a porous surface that has been sprayed with a biocide still has any active  ingredient 4-6 months later. if they can conclusively say it does remain then it would be a great selling point
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 06:17:41 pm »
So why would you prefer to use bio on a roof to kill of the last bits, if it's no better then hypo.

Just asking out of quriosity. Thanks

Bio is designed to kill organic growth hypo does  kill it but that’s not it’s primary role it’s a sterilising  agent , if you read the instructions in all bio products it states quite clearly do not use within 6-12 hours if rain is expected as it will reduce its effect , if it had any residual preventative properties that warning would not be on the packaging .

Splash & dash

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 06:21:20 pm »

To be honest I find this a bit of a quandary, like you I’ve done test at home when ever I get some spare in a sprayer I use it up  around the house.

I did a test on my gate and it stayed clean, the question is would it have stayed clean if I had just powerwashed off the green algi or did the biocide keep it clean. It’s impossible to say.  The question is does the product penetrate into the porous service so does not wash of totally with a single rinse  Or does it slowly dilute under subsequent rainfall so the effect gradually weakens

I think this would be a great investigation for the companies selling the product, it would be quite easy to test whether a porous surface that has been sprayed with a biocide still has any active  ingredient 4-6 months later. if they can conclusively say it does remain then it would be a great selling point

I agree with you but as I have just posted it says don’t  use within 6-12 hours of rain , so how is it going to keep killing stuff weeks and months later ? I accept that it will kill stuff and it takes weeks or months for rain to naturally wash it clean but it doesn’t give any residual long term release of any thing to prevent re growth 

TomCrowther

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 10:58:58 am »
I cleaned a couple of mossy tarmac drives and stone patios this week. I then hypo'd the stone patios to get the remaining lichen and algoclear pro'd the tarmac.
Different surfaces I know. The whole area is greatly overlooked with trees and big bushes etc. It's a window cleaning customer so I can easily keep an eye on the rate of re-growth. Quite interested to see what happens. It has barely stopped raining from about five hour after I finished spraying.

tonyoliver

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 12:47:37 pm »
Is this the Isis forum
Bombing hotels a bit rich
Ci5 have been informed
Bodie and boil are on Their  way

TomCrowther

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 02:51:57 pm »
To be fair to Mike, he decided bombs weren't the best method and suggested germ warfare was the more efficient route.

the king

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 08:50:31 pm »
bio is very good stuff but it wont touch black spot sh will get rid of it if its strong enough  mix bio after its clean is a good ider as it will keep patio cleaner for loner :)

Splash & dash

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 11:24:44 pm »
bio is very good stuff but it wont touch black spot sh will get rid of it if its strong enough  mix bio after its clean is a good ider as it will keep patio cleaner for loner :)

No it doesn’t read the previous posts