Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

RPCCS

Wilton??
« on: January 23, 2020, 09:47:56 pm »
Been asked to do this rug is it a Wilton and if so how to clean it? I have hwe machine, no bonnet cleaner. Can it be cleaned hwe or dry powder and vaccuumed after agitation?  First pic is the face, the second is the backing.
Cheers Rich

Robin Ray

Re: Wilton??
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 09:12:35 am »
If you know how to test for colour bleed and it is ok you can HWE it using lower ph products depending on what you have. Restoremate Bioclean,  Solutions MPower, Prochem Prespray gold etc.. Use a neutralizing rinse if using an alkaline prespray, If you have done any training the basics of cleaning something like this should have been included. Agitate with a carpet brush rather than a crb to prevent pile damage. Treat it like a a wool carpet with a fringe. There are specific products for cleaning fringes too. Also dust is the biggest issue, so make sure you vacuum it well on both sides, vacuuming from the back well will knock alot of the dust out.   With testing, dusting, relatively gentle solutions, careful agitation and quick drying with air movers you should be ok.  There are exceptions to every rule but I would avoid "experimenting" on rugs like these as some can be worth more than you can imagine. 

RPCCS

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 10:36:08 am »
I will have to consult my training manual for bleed test but would you recommend a passover rinse? Ie holding the wand over the rug rather than injecting directly into it? I have prespray gold as the cleaner and. Prochem fabric and fubre rinse to neutralize.
Cheers Rich

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 10:48:41 am »
I’ve cleaned 100s of these,  just clean it like it was a bit of carpet. The fringe might benefit from a final rinse of bleach to lighten it or maybe just mist it with an acid/white vinegar to stop any browning.

This is going to sound incredibly rude (but i say it with the upmost respect)if you need to ask how to clean this you need more training it’s a basic job.

How I clean them....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRAlJPHXOuU
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

RPCCS

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 12:43:36 pm »
Wel I am still learning Mike, which is why I ask questions from more experienced cleaners like yourself and John Kelly, who I did my first training with. I have never come across a wilton before, so want to be sure before I go ahead.
Cheers Rich

RPCCS

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 12:52:47 pm »
Jet washing? Does that not shrink them ? How do you dry just extract then air mover?
Cheers Rich

Robin Ray

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 03:54:54 pm »
Jet washing? Does that not shrink them ? How do you dry just extract then air mover?

Bizarrely no, you can fully submerse them, that's how they are cleaned in a rug pit. The temperature of the water is more important. Just imagine the difference between washing a wool sweater on a cold wash and a hot wash.

If using HWE and you are prespraying with Prespray gold rinse with fiber and fabric and just wand normally.

You will be fine.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 04:56:03 pm »
‘Jet washing’ is a common method of cleaning rugs (search youtube) it is a bit hard to get them dry but a lot of wanding and hanging to dry in my conservatory does the job (in summer not in winter)

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Eddie Conroy

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 10:43:50 pm »
This is definitely not a Wilton,. The Wilton weave could never get near this pattern. On a Wilton the different colors of wool are carried through the back of the carpet being brought up to the pile when that colour is needed. .The most colours I have seen in a Wilton , if my memory serves me correct was 13. and that was in the 70's. The carpet was nearly 3/4 of an inch thick.  As you are probably aware that both the British Wilton and Axminster carpets used to be a bench mark for Quality, but now my age is showing.
This is my first return to this site for maybe 10 years.. nice to see people still caring about the job that they do
Eddie