This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

Re: Fiat Doblo Maxi - any good for 650 litre setup
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 04:22:46 pm »
cmon then lets see your set up dave you old codger! :D :D :D
price higher/work harder!

Scrimble

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2020, 05:08:27 pm »

Oh dear god!! 🙄
Heres mine.....

you didn't actually pay someone to do that?

NWH

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2020, 05:30:18 pm »
Lol in 2 of those pictures there are bolts showing are they just for show lol,they won’t hold a strong fart. Next time you squash a fly on the windscreen have it in mind if you have an accident you’ll be joining him.

dazmond

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 06:11:31 pm »
yep....paid my local garage £80 to fit my tank.....i couldnt be arsed to fit it myself......

Dave Willis

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2020, 08:01:44 pm »
Dazmond, I wouldn’t hang my hat on a bolt like that. That’s about the next size up from the ones holding the bottle cage onto my bicycle!
Why spend all that money then pay for crap like that?

Don Kee

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2020, 08:37:18 pm »
Daz, they’ve just found a random bit of metal they had knocking about and put a crappy bolt through it...surely you can see that?!
£80, I’d have done that for a pint for you; I’d of found you a bit of metal that didn’t have rust for a second pint ;D

I’m not a tart with the whole tank thing but please don’t start preaching it’s solid just because you tried to push it a bit!!!!

Scrimble

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2020, 08:27:45 am »
yep....paid my local garage £80 to fit my tank.....i couldnt be arsed to fit it myself......

lol looks like they couldn't be arsed either,

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2020, 08:29:21 am »
Nothing wrong with it......its hardly gonna start sliding around in the back of my van.it does the job that's the main thing.👍

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2020, 08:36:11 am »
Daz, they’ve just found a random bit of metal they had knocking about and put a crappy bolt through it...surely you can see that?!
£80, I’d have done that for a pint for you; I’d of found you a bit of metal that didn’t have rust for a second pint ;D

I’m not a tart with the whole tank thing but please don’t start preaching it’s solid just because you tried to push it a bit!!!!

Well worth £80 to me...like I say I couldn't be bothered fitting it myself.....the connect has a false floor (underneath the main van floor) making it hard to bolt right through...that's why they used the eyelets.....

Dave Willis

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2020, 09:01:51 am »
Daz, you could put a tank in with no bolts at all and it will feel solid. You are relying on the strength of a tiny allen bolt head to stop your tank flying through the cab. It’s not much better than a popper! Seriously, there’s not even a washer underneath it. That’s one of the worst bodges I’ve ever seen in twelve years on this forum.

dd

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2020, 05:24:27 pm »
Thanks Spruce. I'm looking at the newer shape Berlingo ( well 2010 onwards anyhow ). My reason for asking is after looking at the price of facelifts compact systems I'm thinking of diy'ing my own framed ( skid tank or similar) system that everything is attached to.  The idea being that even if I change vans again in the future, swapping it out will be quick and easy. So am looking at easy fitting options and ideas to help with that.

There was an advert GrippaTank put up in 2012 regarding their tank systems. They are against drilling through the chassis.

"A poorly fixed system will react in an accident like a massive cheese slicer - shredding your vehicle floor. Hence, our system features large spreader plates for the underside of the vehicle (these are bonded as well as bolted) together with solid T-LOK fixings that slot in to a lateral rail.

At MIRA, the system was bolted into the floor pan not the chassis (the weakest part of the van), hurled along the HyGe Sled and passed with flying colours.  Our spreader plates and T-LOK technology act like a giant sandwich (there seems to be a real food theme developing here!) thus making the system and the vehicle one complete unit.

We do not fix into the chassis as this could compromise the vehicles integrity.

I realise that tank fixing can be a very emotional subject among some. For example, the MOT inspector I have used for the past 20 years will fail a van if there is a single hole drilled through the chassis.
My current van has gone to 2 other MOT stations since I have owned it because its a class 7 van. My old van was class 4. Neither of the 2 testers had any issue with bolts going through the chassis with spreader plates.

So it might be worthwhile to see if there is a similar issue with your MOT inspector. Its a grey area and left to the individual inspector as to whether he feels a van's chassis has been compromised by drilling a couple of holes in it.

If there is an issue then you can only use large spreader plates.

I like the idea of a tank bolted to a skid. Omnipole used to favour that. Streamline still do tanks on skids as far as I know. The only consideration is that they will be much heavier and take up valuable payload.

I can't find the photos I promised but will continue looking.

back in the day we had a vw t5 with a truck mounted carpet cleaner fitted in the rear and vw voided the vans warranty  as they bolted three of the bolts throw the chassis when it was fitted  , they also said that doing this could and will stop the van acting like i should when in a crash as the crumple zones would be comprised  , all it took was a sharp eyed warranty guy at a dealer to spot this so be warned if there new  lucky for us we didnt need to claim on it and the van left us 6 year later with 200k on the clock
Why would VW void your warranty because you bolted through the chassis? Surely the warranty covers mechanical faults, which has nothing to do with what happens if you crash your van. 

I very much doubt the chassis and crumple zones are covered by the warranty.

NWH

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2020, 05:36:27 pm »
When you bolt a tank in you want very large washers to attach the bolt to,the fixings in those pictures are nothing but useless.

dazmond

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2020, 05:40:43 pm »
Daz, you could put a tank in with no bolts at all and it will feel solid. You are relying on the strength of a tiny allen bolt head to stop your tank flying through the cab. It’s not much better than a popper! Seriously, there’s not even a washer underneath it. That’s one of the worst bodges I’ve ever seen in twelve years on this forum.

thanks Dave!ill take that as a compliment! :D