This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Rizwan Mo

Pressure washing driveways, patios and walkways
« on: January 22, 2020, 12:21:08 am »
Hi All,

I have been reading some great threads over the last few days and I've just had my account approved so just wanted to say the advise from co cleaners is brilliant.  Only been doing this a year but wanted your thoughts of what approach and process people use to pressure wash driveways and patios, my standard routine would consist of;

1. Applying Water Down Chemicals (TFR, PATIO CLEANERS ETC)
2. Allow 20 mins to set and use stiff brush to brush surface
3. Pressure Wash (Turbo Nozle / Flat Surface Cleaner
4. Rinse Down & Clean Up
5. Apply Hypo - (allow time to set, brush any black sports)
6. Rinse Off

I was just wondering if this was the usual steps people would take and what chemicals and biocides to people suggest?

Thanks in advance
Riz

Smudger

Re: Pressure washing driveways, patios and walkways
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 07:02:23 pm »
too much faff - your in biz to make money

straight out with the turbo nozzle

rinse over and sweep slurry/debris into one spot - remove

Hypo

Job done

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

SB Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 07:49:07 pm »
Agree with Darran, forget 1 and 2 ;D

Rizwan Mo

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 05:10:02 pm »
how do you apply the hypo after and how long would you wait until you rinse it down?

What would you use on tarmac driveways? The surface cleaner im guessing?

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 06:03:44 pm »
small areas a pump sprayer like an IK9

larger areas x-jet

no rinsing  down after application

yes FSC for tarmac

Darran

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 08:49:42 am »
I turn up:

Fill the buffer tank.

Sort out pressure washer.

Turbo nozzle the whole lot.

Post the bill/receive the money.

Go home.

Job done.

There is absolutely no reason for almost all of what you are doing.

I only use Chems after, if there are still some stains left.

Rizwan Mo

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 11:29:48 am »
Thanks appreciate the advise. I never would have thought to apply it and just leave it. With it being quite strong. Does the hypo prevent weed / moss growth in future?

Splash & dash

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 01:02:06 pm »
I certainly wouldn’t want to leave a hypo mix on the ground , people can walk it into the houses and carpets , children get it  in themselves lets get it on there laws and get burned , very unwise we always use hypo but rinse down thoroughly after use there is no reason not to , we do it totaly different to others wet down first with hose then apply hypo mix then pressure wash and final rinse job done . 

zesty

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 01:08:55 pm »
I don’t understand why you need to use chemicals for standard driveway/patio cleaning?

I’ve never needed to use them, a turbo nozzle works great, and Untill recent times, was the only way people cleaned hard surfaces.

I also run a softwash business separate to my window cleaning, so have plenty of experience with it, even then, I can’t think of any reason to use it and faff about with it on driveways/patios.

For me, softwashing is for render/cladding and the like. And a completely different job.

For example tomorrow I am softwashing a tennis club pavilion, I am also pressure washing their path and patio. Two separate jobs, no needs what so ever to even think of softwashing the path and patio, there just isn’t a need, it’s a waste of chemical and time.

Now obviously if you have very stubborn marks, then yeah, but I can count on one hand he many times I’ve used Chems on a hard surface. Pressure washing works just great!

Splash & dash

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 10:41:16 pm »
I don’t understand why you need to use chemicals for standard driveway/patio cleaning?

I’ve never needed to use them, a turbo nozzle works great, and Untill recent times, was the only way people cleaned hard surfaces.

I also run a softwash business separate to my window cleaning, so have plenty of experience with it, even then, I can’t think of any reason to use it and faff about with it on driveways/patios.

For me, softwashing is for render/cladding and the like. And a completely different job.

For example tomorrow I am softwashing a tennis club pavilion, I am also pressure washing their path and patio. Two separate jobs, no needs what so ever to even think of softwashing the path and patio, there just isn’t a need, it’s a waste of chemical and time.

Now obviously if you have very stubborn marks, then yeah, but I can count on one hand he many times I’ve used Chems on a hard surface. Pressure washing works just great!

Where we live it’s a very damp area if you just pressure wash a drive path etc within 6 weeks it will be covered in green algi , by applying a hypo  mix it kills all the spores left behind in the block surface , if you just pressure wash it you are in effect just giving it a hair cut and encouraging re growth , we have been working this way for over 15 years and  before that we did it your way and got loads of call backs with in weeks ,now we get none .

zesty

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 09:46:33 am »

Where we live it’s a very damp area if you just pressure wash a drive path etc within 6 weeks it will be covered in green algi , by applying a hypo  mix it kills all the spores left behind in the block surface , if you just pressure wash it you are in effect just giving it a hair cut and encouraging re growth , we have been working this way for over 15 years and  before that we did it your way and got loads of call backs with in weeks ,now we get none .

Fair enough mate, I’ve never had a call back, must be ty r drier weather down here.