Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ed.

Best way to pick up new work and customers?
« on: January 21, 2020, 08:28:23 pm »
Hi all so after 13 years of working for companies i have taken the bullet and started to start trying to build my own round. Still working for a company commercial window cleaning between 3 in the morning and home by 11 so then go out and do my own work. Started this in November done canvassing and posting on social media groups and leaflets. I have already about 67 customers would you say that’s good or bad ? Do have a lot of competition around my area is loads of window cleaners so that’s doesn’t help. Just want some advice on what would you say is best way to get customers? I picked up loads from social media at the start but im lucky if get one person message me now. Is canvassing still the best way to pick up work. I was doing this at the start and picked up a few and stoped as the social media and social media groups was getting me more but i take it just need to get back out there again with leaflets and canvassing.

nathankaye

Re: Best way to pick up new work and customers?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 08:54:20 pm »
Theres no fast route mate!  It takes a long time to build up work.  It seems like your doing ok at the moment. So keep strong and forge onwards.

My only advice is dont be tempted to under cut people to gain work. A good round takes alot of time and effort as initially you pick up any job you can and then you start weeding out the dross and the messers.  Sometimes the reason why people require a window cleaner is because somebody else dropped them for being a messer and yet they will say their window cleaner never came back. 
Yet by undercutting, your not doing yourself any favours to as your motivation and drive will soon suffer.

Canvassing is by far the best way, you can get a sense of the person and quote the house at the same time. Social media is a good form and a good mix of keepers n messers but you will learn this as you go along.
It will soon be time for the spring cleans and you will probably get quite alot of enquiries soon, so stick it out and keep pushing forward.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 09:25:35 pm »
Hi all so after 13 years of working for companies i have taken the bullet and started to start trying to build my own round. Still working for a company commercial window cleaning between 3 in the morning and home by 11 so then go out and do my own work. Started this in November done canvassing and posting on social media groups and leaflets. I have already about 67 customers would you say that’s good or bad ? Do have a lot of competition around my area is loads of window cleaners so that’s doesn’t help. Just want some advice on what would you say is best way to get customers? I picked up loads from social media at the start but im lucky if get one person message me now. Is canvassing still the best way to pick up work. I was doing this at the start and picked up a few and stoped as the social media and social media groups was getting me more but i take it just need to get back out there again with leaflets and canvassing.

Just carry on with what you are doing! Gaining 67 new customers in this short a period at this time of year with competition is good going and means you are doing it right.

This will be about what you have gained so far as you don't need advice on how to canvass.  IMO its also not good to grow too quickly. Learn to walk before you learn to run as the saying goes.

Don't expect to retain all of these as some will be other cleaner's rejects and one off cleans disguised as a regular clean. But don't despair. It takes a long time to build a solid customer base. Its the 3 c's; canvass, clean and cull.
So when doing first cleans on new customers expect them to be one off's and charge extra for that first clean.

Don't clean again until the previous one has been paid and keep on top of debt.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 07:31:39 am »
Lots of time or lots of money

It's simple if you spend all day knocking doors, posting leaflets and posting to social media you will pick up loads of work.

Likewise if you spend a lot of money on canvassers, leaflet drops or online ads then you will pick up loads of work.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 11:53:47 am »
my advice would be concentrate on getting quality customers not number of customers

we find the best consistent quality of customers come from leaflets or from our website

canvassing is good but you get a lot of bad customers that way and have to sift them out. canvassing is bad because its labour intensive and exhausting when your re cleaning. for many of us it is unsustainable in the long run.

leafleting is great because its easy to pay someone else to do

for me quality customers

1. have 4 weekly cleans all year around
2. signup for a DD before we start cleaning (otherwise people who pay on time)
3. dont defer cleans on the doorstep (and now more than 1 a year)
4. dont complain unreasonably

by making people pay double for a first clean and making them signup to DD you cutout a large proportion of problem customers and you have more time (any money) too

it is the quality of your customers that make a difference when you are growing beyond startup.

its much easier to get it right from the start than to try and sort this out when you have a large mixed bag of customers
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

mufcglen

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 01:17:26 pm »
As above don’t concentrate on no’s of customers but quality, if your already working and have an income elsewhere then I presume you can take your time to build work up as great paying cleans don’t just drop into your hands!
If you can take your time and happy to be patient the decent work will come to you, I’ve seen lads build a round up very quickly and the prices are shocking, half the time they end up giving up.
Be smart don’t undercut yourself or others and watch out you don’t get skanked on first cleans that turn into one off’s so charge double for those to cover yourself.

Michael Peterson

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 04:50:55 pm »
if they get through my phone system there a great customer :-)

Oliver James

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 12:48:25 pm »
"Phone System" - can you expand a bit on that?

Is this how you pre-qualify leads.

We've started emailing terms and conditions before we do the work and leaving a copy on the first cleans.

Richard iSparkle's words are wise.

I've been through the mill on having bad customers and if growth is your mission, then it is way better to grow at a measured pace, and with quality customers only. Otherwise you end up working like a slave for zero profit.

Johnny B

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 06:48:27 pm »
All of the above is excellent advice.

I found canvassing the best way, as you can meet the potential customer face to face and build a rapport. Assume every new customer is a one-off unless they ask for a regular clean, and specify what frequency they are thinking of.

As said, 67 new customers is an excellent start, but keep on doing what you are doing as it is clearly working for you. Once you begin to get established you will get recommendations and walk ups and then things will start to snowball. I get a lot of recommendations from customers through our local facebook 'do you know' page too, and many turn out to be decent customers.

Well done and remember, every small step forward is progress.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

lee_dewing

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 07:21:19 pm »
Good luck Ed

Stay at it 👍

Good advice here, sounds like your doing most of it.

I think a website is a good thing to have, not essential immediately.

Stay away from the entry gate brigade 😁 want it all their way

For me the perfect place is in the middle of the market  3 bed semis.

Watch out for texting For unlocking gates some customers see this as an excuse to cancel or rearrange cleans

Try to put people straight politely

Had one today tried to postpone clean as house next door was having building works was almost finished
Anyway!

Said windows will be dirty so need cleaning.

If you don’t want me monthly not a problem let me give the space to someone who does

Never be afraid to let a messer go
That’s the second occasion she’s tried it on 😁
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

NWH

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 08:09:16 pm »
If you go for 4 weekly cleans all year round for 1 you will get bored 2 and most importantly 2 you won’t get jobs that pay really well,you may get loads of  10 or 20 quid jobs but you won’t get lots of 50 quid + jobs because people don’t want you on there doorstep every 4 weeks asking for 50 quid.
When you do bigger jobs for bigger money if they are every 8 weeks or so they’ll pay it,they’ll need cleaning and when they look on the calendar it won’t seem like you was there a couple of weeks ago.
More money less jobs in less time is what you are after for longevity in this job,if it looks like it’s worth 25 add a bit more for luck.

Splash & dash

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 10:27:27 pm »
If you go for 4 weekly cleans all year round for 1 you will get bored 2 and most importantly 2 you won’t get jobs that pay really well,you may get loads of  10 or 20 quid jobs but you won’t get lots of 50 quid + jobs because people don’t want you on there doorstep every 4 weeks asking for 50 quid.
When you do bigger jobs for bigger money if they are every 8 weeks or so they’ll pay it,they’ll need cleaning and when they look on the calendar it won’t seem like you was there a couple of weeks ago.
More money less jobs in less time is what you are after for longevity in this job,if it looks like it’s worth 25 add a bit more for luck.

We  only offer 4 or 8 weekly cleans on domestic and have a lot of 4 weekly cleans that are £85-150 a go and if the weather is bad quite often they want an interim clean as well .

Ed.

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 01:13:56 pm »
Thanks all for your advice 👍 always helps me out getting advice of you lot. Thanks 😀👍