Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jason gordon

Hot water problems
« on: January 17, 2020, 05:09:07 pm »
Anyone had issues with the grippatank hot water system _ cutting out continually

NWH

Re: Hot water problems
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 05:19:37 pm »
What are the batteries like

Jonny 87

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 06:22:12 pm »
What’s the fault code? The little red light at the side blinks, 3 short blinks, long blinks etc.

Oliver and the team are best to ask, send them an email to the support email.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 06:57:56 pm »
Anyone had issues with the grippatank hot water system _ cutting out continually

These heaters are primarily designed as engine preheaters and adapted to other requirements.

If your batteries are fully charged then there is another issue.

When  the internal heating circuit reaches a preset heat the heater goes into reduced heat mode. If  the heat isn't bled off the hot water temperature continues to rise a few more degrees at which time the heater will go into shut down mode. Shut down takes around 180 secs. During this time the hot water circulation pump will continue to circulate hot water around the circuit. If that water temperature suddenly drops then the heater will fire up again taking another 180 seconds.

Now lets say you stop to talk to your customer. The heater will go into reduced heat mode and if you talk for too long will switch off.
You start cleaning again. Initially the water is hot but very quickly will go cold. Back in the van the heater is trying to start and generate more hot water. But you are zapping the heat generated before the internal circuit has had a chance to heat that internal circuit up again. So you end up chasing your proverbial tail.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 07:06:33 pm »

is their a fault code?(count the long flashes on the red light)

have you checked all the wiring connections including the ones to the controller?

how long have you had the heater?

when was the last time you change your batteries as the heater will cut out if your battery levels too low.....

have you checked your fuses?

my bet is one of your fuses needs changing.....

price higher/work harder!

Splash & dash

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 07:16:01 pm »
When I had this problem it was the controller it was replaced under warranty and never had a problem since

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 12:55:25 pm »

have you got it sorted ?

Jason gordon

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 09:12:07 pm »
When I had this problem it was the controller it was replaced under warranty and never had a problem since
Batteries are all fine as are the fuses.  Showing 1 solid flash indicating voltage or fuel issue but van 3/4 full of diesel.
What was the issue with the controller?
Thanks

Jason gordon

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 09:12:44 pm »

have you got it sorted ?
No not yet!

Splash & dash

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 09:18:05 pm »
Batteries are all fine as are the fuses.  Showing 1 solid flash indicating voltage or fuel issue but van 3/4 full of diesel.
Thanks

Not sure it was replaced by Grippatank/ spring and it stopped turning off and has worked fine for  the last 5 years

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 10:52:21 pm »
Thanks

is this a brand new system just installed?i had a fuel issue with mine the day after installation.......grippa sorted it straight away(they had to integrate into the fuel sender on top of the fuel tank rather than the fuel pick up pipe)...my heater would cut out  when i turned my engine off.

Jason gordon

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 10:53:26 am »
System 2 year old .  No issues until last summer would cut out maybe once a week then would only work with van running then cut out even with van running every couple of hours then every half hour now only lasts 5 minutes before cutting out!

NWH

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 11:11:30 am »
Only works with van running means you are just about putting enough through the batteries to keep it going,even doing that if they are knackered it’ll switch off after a while. 

Jason gordon

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 11:41:17 am »
System 2 year old .  No issues until last summer would cut out maybe once a week then would only work with van running then cut out even with van running every couple of hours then every half hour now only lasts 5 minutes before cutting out!
Have had the batteries tested they are 100%

dd

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 11:45:41 am »
I had my van battery tested once and was told it was OK. Turned out the starting problem I had was due to battery.

Most likely your problem is the batteries, especially if they are 2 years old.

p1w1

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 03:06:42 pm »
I would lean towards a  battery issue. When you say you tested your batteries, how was that done? Fully charged then left a few hours before testing or charged then tested straight after?

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 04:16:28 pm »
ive just changed my batteries and my heater is back to its best again.ive had my system just over 2 years old and noticed the fault code(3 long flashes)meaning low power was coming up more and more when shutting down at the end of my day,also the water wasnt getting as hot,now its piping hot and my electric reel is really fast all day now when reeling in...

my voltage was reading as low as 12.1 (under load) at the end of the day which has never happened before,basically my batteries were not holding their charge as well.....

i replaced them with exactly the same batteries(2 x numax 105ah starter/leisure batteries)...cost me just under £200 with VAT and delivery from tanya batteries......

NUMAX CXV30HMF SEALED 105AH BATTERY X2

Jason gordon

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 04:32:21 pm »
I would lean towards a  battery issue. When you say you tested your batteries, how was that done? Fully charged then left a few hours before testing or charged then tested straight after?

Just tested with local mechanic after lunch one day showing 12.9-13.0 disconnected over night and tested again ist thing in the morning  in case of a drain but showed the same readings.
Ps shows 13.6-13.7 on controllers with van left running that sound ok?
Thanks

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 04:44:51 pm »
your batteries should be reading around 14.1 with van running(assuming you have a smart split charge relay fitted).......

have you emailed grippatank?

Jason gordon

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 05:36:51 pm »
Even when hooked up to mains it still cuts out - surely that would eliminate a battery problem?
Anyone had issues with the fuel pump underneath the van which dents fuel to the boiler?

NWH

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 06:18:24 pm »
If the fuel pumps gone it’s gone if the water pump goes it’s gone,these 2 things I’ve found don’t work if they are on the wain intermittently.
I would check the wiring from battery to heater if not I would check the controller,9 times out of 10 if these heaters have problems it’s down to the batteries being either dodgy or not charged enough,I charge mine every night and I always preheat on the way to work obviously with engine running now and haven’t had a problem since. Better to fire them up either when there still plugged into the mains or with engine running.

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 06:24:10 pm »
Even when hooked up to mains it still cuts out - surely that would eliminate a battery problem?
Anyone had issues with the fuel pump underneath the van which dents fuel to the boiler?

apart from my initial teething trouble with a fuel issue straight after installation(dec 2017) and a slight fuel leak a year or so later(which my local garage  sorted for £60)mines never missed a beat......

it must be frustrating for you esp during this cold weather,these systems are expensive and should have many years of trouble free service....i dont understand why you ve waited so long to get it fixed?if you were having trouble last summer then you ve had 5 or 6 months to get it sorted before the coldest weather sets in....

Jason gordon

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2020, 06:49:24 pm »

apart from my initial teething trouble with a fuel issue straight after installation(dec 2017) and a slight fuel leak a year or so later(which my local garage  sorted for £60)mines never missed a beat......

it must be frustrating for you esp during this cold weather,these systems are expensive and should have many years of trouble free service....i dont understand why you ve waited so long to get it fixed?if you were having trouble last summer then you ve had 5 or 6 months to get it sorted before the coldest weather sets in....

I have been down  3 times and it’s still not fixed😡-Oliver is coming over with his laptop to plug in to find the fault( I’m in Northern Ireland) in a couple of weeks.
What was the fuel leak you had and how did that affect it?
Thanks

dazmond

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2020, 06:55:51 pm »

I have been down  3 times and it’s still not fixed😡-Oliver is coming over with his laptop to plug in to find the fault( I’m in Northern Ireland) in a couple of weeks.
Thanks

hi jason....ah didnt realise you were in ireland.....the fuel leak had no affect on the working of the heater it was just picked up when my van went in for a service.......it was coming from a blanked off t piece on a fuel pipe (which was the original way grippatank integrated it into the fuel tank).

so where did you take it 3 times?have grippatank got a service depot over there mate?

Jason gordon

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2020, 07:21:11 pm »

Thanks

hi jason....ah didnt realise you were in ireland.....the fuel leak had no affect on the working of the heater it was just picked up when my van went in for a service.......it was coming from a blanked off t piece on a fuel pipe (which was the original way grippatank integrated it into the fuel tank).

so where did you take it 3 times?have grippatank got a service depot over there mate?
Sureclean are the agents over here the problem is it’s a fairly new product and they still learning themselves and Oliver’s aftersale service is pretty poor.  They don’t have any diagnosis equipment!

johnwillan

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 08:04:46 pm »

Hi Jason

In my experience things to check are...
1: Batteries - we charge using a C-Tek 10amp system once they hit 11.7 during the day
2: Water Levels & Circulation (you can see this by checking the header tank)
3: Fuel Starvation: Faulty Pump or Choked Burner

I generally check in that order, fuel is checked by removing & running the burner fuel inlet inlet into a suitable container (cup/mug etc)

Replacing the burner which you can purchase online is fairly straight forward, plenty of videos on YouTube 
Likewise a re-circulation pump is even easier to replace.

HTH

John

dazmond

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2020, 10:00:19 pm »

Hi Jason

1: Batteries - we charge using a C-Tek 10amp system once they hit 11.7 during the day

I generally check in that order, fuel is checked by removing & running the burner fuel inlet inlet into a suitable container (cup/mug etc)

Replacing the burner which you can purchase online is fairly straight forward, plenty of videos on YouTube 

HTH

John

i dont think replacing a burner on these systems is that straightforward John.....ive also searched online for videos and ive NEVER found a video thats shows you how to replace the burner on the exact model that we have(thermo pro 90)........

robert mitchell

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2020, 11:49:02 pm »

Hi Jason

HTH

John

i dont think replacing a burner on these systems is that straightforward John.....ive also searched online for videos and ive NEVER found a video thats shows you how to replace the burner on the exact model that we have(thermo pro 90)........

I have replaced the burner on my old thermo 90s , it was quite fiddly but not really complicated , you will need to replace the glow pin as well most likely as they break very easily while dismantling ...........biggest problem is the parts are very expensive for what they are .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

johnwillan

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2020, 09:16:04 am »

I have the Thermo Top C, replacement burner (glow pin included) £245 inc del & vat, took around 1 hour to change - I thought it was fairly straight forward.

It was interesting to see how "choked" the burner was - not surprised it was starved of fuel.

P @ F

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2020, 04:52:07 pm »
I can replace my burner , glow plug , and screen in under 10 minutes all for about £50
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

robert mitchell

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2020, 05:28:07 pm »

I have the Thermo Top C, replacement burner (glow pin included) £245 inc del & vat, took around 1 hour to change - I thought it was fairly straight forward.

It was interesting to see how "choked" the burner was - not surprised it was starved of fuel.

Thermotop C is much more straightforward to dismantle and change parts than the 90s.

robert mitchell

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2020, 05:28:48 pm »
I can replace my burner , glow plug , and screen in under 10 minutes all for about £50

Is that on a thermo 90 or an air heater ?

Air heaters are much simpler .

davids3511

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2020, 07:18:51 pm »

Hi Jason

HTH

John

I've replace my burner on a Thermopro 90st which is very similar to yours Daz, easy to do.

P @ F

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2020, 08:31:35 am »

Is that on a thermo 90 or an air heater ?

Air heaters are much simpler .
It’s an air heater converted to a water heater

p1w1

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2020, 12:05:53 pm »
Has everyone bought one like they said they were then lol

P @ F

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2020, 06:10:43 pm »
Not yet , the first one should be fitted on Saturday  !

Jonny 87

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2020, 06:59:31 pm »
P@f get yourself a website and start cranking these out.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

p1w1

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2020, 07:03:44 pm »
Not yet , the first one should be fitted on Saturday  !
Good stuff

G & M

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2020, 10:33:16 pm »
My grippa system stopped working in October. It was hardly ever used and only bought in February.  First one of the controllers just stopped working  and after a couple of weeks the whole system stopped working.  The red light is on but nothing happens.
Anyone got an idea of what may be wrong.

Splash & dash

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2020, 10:35:03 pm »
My grippa system stopped working in October. It was hardly ever used and only bought in February.  First one of the controllers just stopped working  and after a couple of weeks the whole system stopped working.  The red light is on but nothing happens.

Sounds like it’s still under warranty? Give Oliver a ring

dazmond

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2020, 08:22:37 am »

Why would you spend thousands of pounds on a hot water system and hardly ever use it?or get it fixed while its under warranty?

Dave Willis

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2020, 12:37:29 pm »
If you have a marina nearby then a good boat engineer will most likely have the diagnostic equipment for a Webasto.
Servicing although simple (usually they coke up) certainly won’t be cheap.