Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jonny 87

Re: Things aren't looking good for the phantom pole!!
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 08:20:22 am »
Lessons learned guys.  :)

Stick with gardiners!

They are the market leaders for a reason.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

zesty

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2020, 08:25:28 am »
The biggest issue with phantom clamps for me is the gap between where they close up when you tighten the lever, if the gap was bigger it would allow the whole clamp to close more on the pole and stop any spinning but I e already sorted that on mine now by filing the plastic away making the gap bigger!
As I’ve said many times before black hands is a big issue for me and I don’t get it with phantom over gardiner, I do think the feel of the gardiner with the shims and springs feels better however since I’ve modded the phantom clamps they are absolutely effortless opening and closing.
I know Alex G has said he’s tested all sorts of clamps and says there’s no difference in wear but I beg to differ having used both, 3-4 months now on my xtreme brand new fitted with phantom clamps and the pole still has the new taped ridged feel to it!!
I will still replace the pole anyway after 12-14 months but hopefully I won’t snap a section like I did last pole after 11 months then 13 months.
I just can’t stand the dreaded carbon hand and I’ve used gloves in past and end up catching them on clamps ripping them so for now the phantom is the best choice and even better now I’ve modified them to work properly.
The softer insert idea is for sure an improvement in clamp technology but just needs tweaking to be bang on

my xtreme 25 is the same age as yours.....i wear black disposable gloves every day so i dont notice the black hands.i have had to nip up the 2 top clamps a bit as its starting to wear a bit but not too much.....ive also made a decision to just buy a new xtreme 25 every year from now on,sod it....... :)...they make every working day so much easier.....

I actually preferred the mk2 xtreme , with the metal bands.

Three main reasons:

1. Never had to adjust the clamps, ever. As the metal band stayed the same diameter.

2. It slid up and down smoother, with less grit wear, given the carbon part was narrower in diameter.

3. Didn’t really get black hands, at the metal parts seemed to prevent that.

I’ve currently got a mk3 25’ and although it’s slightly stiffer and stronger, I’d prefer the metal band version every day of the week. Great pole!

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2020, 09:05:46 am »
How on earth do u not get black hands using an xtreme pole splash and dash?

Are u just in the office these days and not on the tools? ;D

They all create carbon dust.....I just wear disposable gloves so I dont get it on my hands(and for hygiene reasons handling 100m of hose)
price higher/work harder!

Stephen Fox

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2020, 10:17:21 am »
Hey guys! Long-time no post…. I thought I’d address some of these comments, as I'm so highly thought of!!

Got my 25 f phantom last night ..
I'll write a review later but it's had to be returned as pole 2 has a fault.. to big and is scraping itself.. plus a few other issues.. refund and I'll get a slx next week.. boy am I mad..
koopmaster
As far as I’m aware, this pole is being/has been collected by us and not been used? Obviously whatever is wrong is not the norm and we will get to the bottom of it. Always annoying that something is wrong out the box, can totally understand any frustration.

Ive had my Phantom 18 for 4 months not happy with it will go back to Gardiner poles next month
David
Is it possible to expand on the reason why? Again this is not the norm.

My Phantom is  4 Months.
Dissapointed with the clamps think they where over hyped and not a game changer has suggested by certain influencers that where given free poles.
Hope the owner Mr Fox  of WCW reads  these comments would love his explanation for the clamps poor performance.
Small but perfectley formed
I don’t think the clamps were overhyped, people were/are genuinely excited about seeing an innovative new clamp that is addressing the issues that pole owners have had since WFP began.

Again would like to see what issue you are having, as poor performance of the clamp is unacceptable. The overwhelming response to the Phantom clamp has been incredible. Any issues we can get sorted for you.

From a company point of view, we feel the Phantom clamp is the most advanced water fed pole clamp on the market bar none. A lot of thought and effort has gone into its design to address the issues of water poles have over time.

I’ve been involved in the water fed pole world for the best part of 20 years, and it is the first time I’ve ever seen window cleaners actively removing clamps from other manufacturers ' pole and replacing them with another make, in this case, the Phantom Clamp. Customers are even doing this with brand new poles, which on the surface sound crazy but proving otherwise.

Of course, no pole is perfect. Let's not pretend there haven’t been issues every single pole oh the market. Just search this forum alone with any pole make and model you like and you will see dozens of posts where people are not happy regardless of who makes it.

With the Phantom now coming up to 18 months in the real world, customers are starting to see the advantages of the design. Yes, there are continual tweaks going on behind the scenes towards making the best clamp possible. This is an ongoing, never-ending process...

I will say that a lot of people who comment on the Phantom pole in a negative context don’t actually own one, you will see a lot of comments peppered with 'I've heard...' and  'My mate has one...'. and some couldn’t possibly conceive that there might be a better product out there, but each to their own.

There are 1000's of Phantom Poles being used across the world. The Phantom has been undoubtedly the most successful pole we have ever sold and continues to go from strength to strength. This year we will be expanding the range, so should be an exciting time for window cleaning.

Anyone can email me with an issue, thought, comment, etc at fox@windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk, feel free to do so.

mr fox comes across as an  arrogant little s**t.......i might be wrong but thats what my intuition is telling me..... ;D
I don’t believe we have had the pleasure of meeting Daz? I’ve met a lot ‘forumers’ over the years and will be at the cleaning show again this year. Pop over and say hello, you might change your mind... or even confirm it!

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2020, 01:04:49 pm »
Hi Stephen I have sent a email hope you can resolve my clamp problem.
Spit and polish

rb4no

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 03:40:48 pm »
I've been using a phantom 22 since September. I initially found that it either clamped too tightly or it wouldn't clamp enough, despite mucking about with the locking screws etc! That said it kind of bedded itself in after about four weeks of continuous use. I think it may be caused a little wear on the pole in doing so, but it's now sound and never needs adjusting. I would say though that the clamps need to be taken care of, there's a grove in the plastic which is what wears down first, however this groove picks up lots of dirt so this needs cleaning regularly. I had a CLX for everyday use and a 30 ft ionics for my high stuff. This knocks the socks off the CLX the extra rigidity means much less fatigue on the arms and shoulders, I can confidently say that I can do an extra five houses a day because you don't have to fight it! That said, that would've been true no doubt with any other carbon pole. The poles are no way as good quality as the IONICS, I started getting black hands within the month! Was going to ask you guys, would spraying the poles with lacquer cure this, any thoughts are welcome? I do like the pole, it's rigid enough, and I do actually really like the clamps, you can take them off to clean etc which I think is a good idea. I will in due course buy more of these clamps and refurbish and old carbon pole and bring it up to date!

Splash & dash

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2020, 10:51:11 pm »

They all create carbon dust.....I just wear disposable gloves so I dont get it on my hands(and for hygiene reasons handling 100m of hose)

Lol I am on the tools every day Ime afrade 😂😂 I have had extream 18 poles as my everyday pole for around 5-6 years and never had black hands from either of them , I use an 18 probebly for 35 hours a week , I chose to then go back to the slx 18 and after about 3 months use got horrendous black hands , so have now bought a clx and am using that instead . I also have had or still got extreams in the following sizes 25,35, 47 and never have had or got black hands from any of them , no ideas  why , just wondered if the high modular carbon is different from the slx ???

zesty

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2020, 12:03:05 pm »

Lol I am on the tools every day Ime afrade 😂😂 I have had extream 18 poles as my everyday pole for around 5-6 years and never had black hands from either of them , I use an 18 probebly for 35 hours a week , I chose to then go back to the slx 18 and after about 3 months use got horrendous black hands , so have now bought a clx and am using that instead . I also have had or still got extreams in the following sizes 25,35, 47 and never have had or got black hands from any of them , no ideas  why , just wondered if the high modular carbon is different from the slx ???

That’s weird mate, my mk3 xtreme gives off a lot of carbon deposits, really black index finger on left hand.

Takes ages to clean off!

the king

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2020, 06:24:47 pm »
i tryed other poles allways go back to gardners  as there liter last longer black hands are a pain may try some of these gloves see how i get on i was temped the try neon but my friend  got the latest pheonix 2 and it wore out very fast like the old ones gardners all the way for me now

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2020, 06:45:30 pm »
i tryed other poles allways go back to gardners  as there liter last longer black hands are a pain may try some of these gloves see how i get on i was temped the try neon but my friend  got the latest pheonix 2 and it wore out very fast like the old ones gardners all the way for me now

ive just bought 400 pairs of black nitrile gloves online for under £30(including VAT and delivery)should last me the rest of the year..i usually use 2 pairs a day,hands are nice and clean and no carbon dust!the only time i dont wear them is on a hot sunny day in summertime or else i end up with white untanned hands! ;D
price higher/work harder!

Splash & dash

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2020, 06:51:38 pm »

ive just bought 400 pairs of black nitrile gloves online for under £30(including VAT and delivery)should last me the rest of the year..i usually use 2 pairs a day,hands are nice and clean and no carbon dust!the only time i dont wear them is on a hot sunny day in summertime or else i end up with white untanned hands! ;D

I don’t like using gloves especially nitrial ones makes your hands sweat and go papy

mufcglen

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2020, 02:09:23 pm »
Do you not find you occasionally catch your gloves in your pole sections, I used to snag mine now and then and if it went inside the pole it was a nightmare to get back out when it was stuck in there!!!
I used to like buying the black nitrile gloves from screwfix with the textured finish, think they was made by site.