Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jo5hm4n

DIY Electric Reel
« on: December 19, 2019, 09:23:58 pm »
I have a Clabber Metal Hose Reel.  Fantastic piece of kit for the price.  Actually prefer it over the Pure Freedom Metal Hose Reels.

Anyway, i'm going to do a DIY Electric reel, i have bought all the parts needed to fit over the Xmas break.  Just wanted to know if anybody on here has already done a DIY Reel with the Clabber Hose Reel.  If you have please can you send me some pics of your setup.  Mainly interested in seeing have you fitted the sprocket to the disc wheel.

Before anyone comments no i'm not getting the Waterworks Electric Reel or the PureFreedom one.  Prefer a DIY Reel, that way if something breaks on it can just fix it myself.

Cheers Fellas  ;D ;D ;D

Splash & dash

Re: DIY Electric Reel
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 10:42:11 pm »
Claber  reels are very good but there major weakness is the plastic centre spindle they break very easily   

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 07:06:31 am »
I have a Clabber Metal Hose Reel.  Fantastic piece of kit for the price.  Actually prefer it over the Pure Freedom Metal Hose Reels.

Anyway, i'm going to do a DIY Electric reel, i have bought all the parts needed to fit over the Xmas break.  Just wanted to know if anybody on here has already done a DIY Reel with the Clabber Hose Reel.  If you have please can you send me some pics of your setup.  Mainly interested in seeing have you fitted the sprocket to the disc wheel.

Before anyone comments no i'm not getting the Waterworks Electric Reel or the PureFreedom one.  Prefer a DIY Reel, that way if something breaks on it can just fix it myself.

Cheers Fellas  ;D ;D ;D

i dont think a claber reel is suitable for converting into an electric reel....id use the pure freedom one.....
price higher/work harder!

jo5hm4n

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 02:00:19 pm »
Ive got 3 pure freedom reels and 2 clabber reels but i genuinely prefer clabber reels.  Used pure freedom for 3 years clabber reels less than a year.  Fook it ill try to DIY the clabber one and see how it goes!!

Spotfree

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 02:27:02 pm »
Josh, I put 2 in 2 years ago and they still work perfectly.

Don't waste your time trying to electrify the claber, you'll have nothing but a hassle and I doubt it'll work out well in the end...I could be wrong...

I bought 2 new clover reels from wintecs ( best price I could find at the time), it was well worth it, these builds can be tricky as I found out as I had to re-place the spindles, twice after threading them.

The hardest part was getting the sprocket aligned to run straight aside the reel, also having room for the chain to go between frame to the motor.

Have you checked all the parts are compatible? as the teeth have can have different spacing to the sprocket, and the motor can have different teeth spacings too (mine were all 25h I think) I also had to go to the motorbike shop to get them to link the chains at the correct length as I didn't have the tool.

Also, consider safety when installing, the chain and motor placement need to be hidden IMO, especially as you employ mate.(Poo happens)

Have a look on youtube at my install for some ideas, search PNSwindow cleaning van set up, they'll two, look at the newest one (2 yrs old now). It's all been solid and reliable.

Spotfree

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 02:29:14 pm »
I also upgraded the battery too, its now 150 ah and run 2 pumps and 2 reels no problem for 3 days. Tayna in Abergele do very good prices.

mufcglen

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 05:42:24 pm »
If you like maintaining your own why not try and pick up some of the original powerup add on’s that fit the clover reel, I had mine since they first came out before powerup hd and I’ve fitted a couple of HD’s for a mate and just didn’t like them so always stuck with these, much better than the cleaner reels in my opinion.

dennis chalk

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 06:36:12 am »
Have you thought about using a drill. Far less hassle to use and maintain.

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 08:17:01 am »
Have you thought about using a drill. Far less hassle to use and maintain.

Nice. I would worry about your Dewalt drill working with the back doors open though.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

P @ F

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 10:04:43 am »
That’s why I’m a black and decker user , nobody nicks them  :D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 01:35:06 pm »
That’s why I’m a black and decker user , nobody nicks them  :D
;D ;D ;D

Stoots

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 02:23:55 pm »
I've seen loads of claber reels done on you tube.

I'm going to do my pure freedom reel at Christmas.

The drill idea is a simpler solution, no chains to come off etc I just couldn't live with it like that looks too ghetto.

nathankaye

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 02:32:19 pm »
The pure freedom ones are easy to upgrade to a diy electric one.   Provided you set the chain taught, its hard for it to come off.  My chain has come off twice in the years that I have had it and this was due to the hose slipping off and knocking the chain.  So down to user error.   Apart from that, it runs very smoothly
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 08:42:54 pm »

The drill idea is a simpler solution, no chains to come off etc I just couldn't live with it like that looks too ghetto.

Who cares what it looks like if it works and is safe?
It's a game of three halves!

Stoots

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 09:19:52 pm »

Who cares what it looks like if it works and is safe?

Me.

a900

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 11:55:28 am »
Ugraded a claber reel to electric in the past. Been a while now and can’t remember why I stopped using it. Think to use the motor and chain on the permanent mounted metal reel a few years back.

The claber was on a sled and the motor mounted to that. So the whole electric reel could be taken out the van if it made a job easier.   Worked fine. I used a decent size sprocket with a large centre hole so it didn’t interfere with the centre spindle of the reel. And mounted the sprocket to the side of the reel with 6 or 8Mm rod and lock nuts as spacers. It just needs decent washers to not pull the thin metal of the reel apart

Will see if I can find photos. If done right I would think it would last a while but be prepared to rebuild it every couple of years. As it will eventually shred the side of the reel and twist it.

jo5hm4n

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2019, 01:23:04 pm »
Josh, I put 2 in 2 years ago and they still work perfectly.

Don't waste your time trying to electrify the claber, you'll have nothing but a hassle and I doubt it'll work out well in the end...I could be wrong...

I bought 2 new clover reels from wintecs ( best price I could find at the time), it was well worth it, these builds can be tricky as I found out as I had to re-place the spindles, twice after threading them.

The hardest part was getting the sprocket aligned to run straight aside the reel, also having room for the chain to go between frame to the motor.

Have you checked all the parts are compatible? as the teeth have can have different spacing to the sprocket, and the motor can have different teeth spacings too (mine were all 25h I think) I also had to go to the motorbike shop to get them to link the chains at the correct length as I didn't have the tool.

Also, consider safety when installing, the chain and motor placement need to be hidden IMO, especially as you employ mate.(Poo happens)

Have a look on youtube at my install for some ideas, search PNSwindow cleaning van set up, they'll two, look at the newest one (2 yrs old now). It's all been solid and reliable.

Hi Paul thanks for the advice mate.  I think best thing would be for us to meet up some for a chinwag!  You can show me your setup, we definitely need to do it, after me saying last year and it never happened!

jo5hm4n

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2019, 01:23:43 pm »

Can you send me the links to the claber reels on youtube?  I've looked for ages but cant find any videos done with clabber reels.  Thanks

jo5hm4n

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 01:25:22 pm »
Ugraded a claber reel to electric in the past. Been a while now and can’t remember why I stopped using it. Think to use the motor and chain on the permanent mounted metal reel a few years back.

The claber was on a sled and the motor mounted to that. So the whole electric reel could be taken out the van if it made a job easier.   Worked fine. I used a decent size sprocket with a large centre hole so it didn’t interfere with the centre spindle of the reel. And mounted the sprocket to the side of the reel with 6 or 8Mm rod and lock nuts as spacers. It just needs decent washers to not pull the thin metal of the reel apart

Will see if I can find photos. If done right I would think it would last a while but be prepared to rebuild it every couple of years. As it will eventually shred the side of the reel and twist it.

This sounds great.  If you can find any pictures of your setup please can you send them to me @info@quantumshine.co.uk

Even if it just lasts for 1 year i will happy with that too be honest.

Stephen burton

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 02:23:12 pm »
Bought this on Black Friday £420 all in, used it for 2 days and it’s the best thing I have bought worth every penny sold my old reel for £75 so for the sake of two days profit just buy one of these

harleyman

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2019, 07:27:27 am »
no you would not daz you said in  another post you could not be bothered tinkering . like always your full of it

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2019, 10:02:19 am »
no you would not daz you said in  another post you could not be bothered tinkering . like always your full of it

what are you on about?all i said was the claber reel wasnt really suitable for converting into an electric reel.......the pure freedom reel would be a better bet.

Splash & dash

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2019, 12:38:40 pm »
Ime very surprised that the op is trying to make a bodged up reel when the other week he’s posting about quoting / getting a 50k plus contract, don’t think we are being told the truth hear ,

nathankaye

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2019, 03:07:21 pm »
Ime very surprised that the op is trying to make a bodged up reel when the other week he’s posting about quoting / getting a 50k plus contract, don’t think we are being told the truth hear ,

He aint told you his outgoings though has he!  Just a thought isnt it.
People are so quick to judge, perhaps projecting themselves a little? ::)roll
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2019, 04:02:36 pm »

If someone is quoting / getting a 50k+work they can easily afford £500 or so for a reel , if not they won’t be in business very long

jo5hm4n

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2019, 04:31:11 pm »

Can't believe i'm even having to respond to this but here goes!  I can afford brand new Electric Reels from PureFreedom or WaterWorks.  I want to do DIY or "bodged" reels as you put it simply because if i learn to assemble Electric Reels myself if ever there are problems with them, i can fix them myself.

I have learned the hard way that having a brand spanking new all singing all dancing expensive pro fitted system isn't always the best way to run a business.  Things do eventually go wrong, and if you have not educated yourself on how to fix or fit parts on a system it can mess up your work day or work week if you have to then drive to a supplier to get them to fix your reels or system.

It's not about money for me.  It's about being able to custom build a system to our needs and know how to fix it straight away when something goes wrong.

That's why we now DIY our own systems.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

jo5hm4n

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2019, 04:32:08 pm »

Thanks for sticking up for us Nath, i know how you feel now!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Splash & dash

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2019, 05:05:39 pm »

Can't believe i'm even having to respond to this but here goes!  I can afford brand new Electric Reels from PureFreedom or WaterWorks.  I want to do DIY or "bodged" reels as you put it simply because if i learn to assemble Electric Reels myself if ever there are problems with them, i can fix them myself.

I have learned the hard way that having a brand spanking new all singing all dancing expensive pro fitted system isn't always the best way to run a business.  Things do eventually go wrong, and if you have not educated yourself on how to fix or fit parts on a system it can mess up your work day or work week if you have to then drive to a supplier to get them to fix your reels or system.

It's not about money for me.  It's about being able to custom build a system to our needs and know how to fix it straight away when something goes wrong.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I understand what you are saying and we carry spares to be able to fix things up it’s no good being hundreds of miles away from home with kit that cannot be used, but the claber  reels arnt suitable to do what you want to do with them the centre spindles are cheap plastic , I have had a number of them over the years and they are a good reel but that’s there Achilles heal . Unfortunately no professional company can rely on cheap home made stuff like this to be reliable , and give problem free service , most of the reels produced by manufacturers have been thoroughly tested and any gremlins sorted before being sold to us , I have recently bought 6 waterworks hd power up reels and have to say they are very good  , I have the skills to fabricate and make my own but why bother when you can buy something far superior to what you could do yourself , I didn’t mean to cause any offence ,but if quoting for 50 k + jobs trying to make your own reels is shear madness and looks very unprofessional if seen by the customer , each to there own but I think paying a reasonable price for  a reel that’s used 20-50 times a day is money well spent .

harleyman

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2019, 08:15:26 am »
then dont buy a claber reel get some thing like a cox reel and mod that simples I think they are the same un modified any way.

Slacky

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2019, 08:20:23 am »
I had a Waterworks reel electric reel for a while. They begin to look a right mess after a while, picking up rust and generally looking grubby with all that metal.

Try putting the chain back on if it comes off, you’ll not be a happy bunny. I gave up on mine after a while and gave it away in the end.

Ive now got a DIY setup which would now be my go to choice of setup. Chain came off for the first time last week in a year. It took 2.37 seconds to put it back on.

jo5hm4n

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2019, 10:38:54 am »
I had a Waterworks reel electric reel for a while. They begin to look a right mess after a while, picking up rust and generally looking grubby with all that metal.

Try putting the chain back on if it comes off, you’ll not be a happy bunny. I gave up on mine after a while and gave it away in the end.

Ive now got a DIY setup which would now be my go to choice of setup. Chain came off for the first time last week in a year. It took 2.37 seconds to put it back on.

This is the exact reason Splash and Dash that i want to have a DIY Electric Reel.

jo5hm4n

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2019, 10:42:43 am »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I understand what you are saying and we carry spares to be able to fix things up it’s no good being hundreds of miles away from home with kit that cannot be used, but the claber  reels arnt suitable to do what you want to do with them the centre spindles are cheap plastic , I have had a number of them over the years and they are a good reel but that’s there Achilles heal . Unfortunately no professional company can rely on cheap home made stuff like this to be reliable , and give problem free service , most of the reels produced by manufacturers have been thoroughly tested and any gremlins sorted before being sold to us , I have recently bought 6 waterworks hd power up reels and have to say they are very good  , I have the skills to fabricate and make my own but why bother when you can buy something far superior to what you could do yourself , I didn’t mean to cause any offence ,but if quoting for 50 k + jobs trying to make your own reels is shear madness and looks very unprofessional if seen by the customer , each to there own but I think paying a reasonable price for  a reel that’s used 20-50 times a day is money well spent .

Having a DIY Electric Reel doesn't have to look unprofessional.  I have 1 diy van system and 1 fitted by Pure Freedom and the DIY system looks about 100 times better because i customised it myself and looks super tidy.  I take your point about the Clabber Reels.  I've already bought all the kit now, however if it doesnt work then i will try a Clover Reel as that seems to be the go to reel to turn into electric.  Going back to quoting the 50k+ job, that job is way too big for my boots and i can admit that.  I'm nowhere near on the level ready to handle that sort of thing it was just a big leap into the unknown.  95% of my work is domestic and i am kind of happy generally to keep it that way!

Splash & dash

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2019, 12:18:20 pm »
then dont buy a claber reel get some thing like a cox reel and mod that simples I think they are the same un modified any way.

Cox reels are very good but expensive you might just as well buy an electric reel

Splash & dash

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2019, 12:30:39 pm »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Having a DIY Electric Reel doesn't have to look unprofessional.  I have 1 diy van system and 1 fitted by Pure Freedom and the DIY system looks about 100 times better because i customised it myself and looks super tidy.  I take your point about the Clabber Reels.  I've already bought all the kit now, however if it doesnt work then i will try a Clover Reel as that seems to be the go to reel to turn into electric.  Going back to quoting the 50k+ job, that job is way too big for my boots and i can admit that.  I'm nowhere near on the level ready to handle that sort of thing it was just a big leap into the unknown.  95% of my work is domestic and i am kind of happy generally to keep it that way!

Lol I know what you mean about pure freedom don’t talk to me about them , had two reels off them both powder coated ordered stainless steel both were faulty and had to go back   , they did give me a full refund though . I understand what you are saying about the 50k contract but we all have to start somewhere I started with a renault Clio and ladders now we are doing jobs like the 50k job you describe , so it is achievable , if going down the diy route with this reel and employing be careful especially if there is no chain guard , should an employee get injured you would be held responsible, I have got 6 waterworks reels and not had a chain come off any of them yet , I also know several cleaners that have had them for several years and they look fine no rust , nor any problems , I do think they should offer a stainless steel version though , they do come with a 12 month warranty so any issues in that time should get sorted out ok , when doing domestic they are being used on 25-50 odd properties per day and none of them have missed a beat , good luck with the diy route .

harleyman

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2020, 03:04:15 pm »
I must say the more complicated  a system or equipment is the more unlikely the di y er are to fix them.  keep it simple is my motto.

LWC

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2020, 08:06:11 am »
I really like the claber reels  and I made this a few years ago. It pulled in fine but it was really hard to pull out and I could never figure out why. I made 2 and they were exactly the same and so did my mate and always really hard to pull out. My advice is don’t bother. I bought a waterworks one in end and never looked back. I’m all about DIY but clabber doesn’t work for this. However the clover reels do. Hope this helps. 

https://youtu.be/Ztz4LgeSF2U

jo5hm4n

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2020, 01:05:53 pm »
Can anyone send me a link to where the best place is to get a Clover Reel from?  MY usual suppliers don't sell them so need to look elsehwhere, thought i'd ask on here first.

Thanks.

Spruce

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2020, 02:06:27 pm »
Can anyone send me a link to where the best place is to get a Clover Reel from?  MY usual suppliers don't sell them so need to look elsehwhere, thought i'd ask on here first.

Thanks.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hose-reels/lightweight-metal-reels/lightweight-metal-freestanding-microbore-hose-reel.html

jo5hm4n

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2020, 06:19:46 pm »

Thanks.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hose-reels/lightweight-metal-reels/lightweight-metal-freestanding-microbore-hose-reel.html

Thats a clabber reel which i already have and everyone on heres give me a beating say they no good for diy electric.  Its the clover reel i need not clabber.  Thanks

david mark

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2020, 07:31:13 pm »
I have HD Reel never buy one again it's comes of the side and takes the chain off

LWC

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2020, 11:47:27 pm »
I have HD Reel never buy one again it's comes of the side and takes the chain off

You need less hose on it then.

harleyman

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2020, 08:02:41 am »
clearly operator error what's wrong with you why cant you put a chain?? on its not rocket science.... I despair what the world is coming to  its like Windies that cant be bothered  taking ladders off van cos the gates locked...……….

Stoots

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2020, 09:37:29 am »
clearly operator error what's wrong with you why cant you put a chain?? on its not rocket science.... I despair what the world is coming to  its like Windies that cant be bothered  taking ladders off van cos the gates locked...……….

But of a contradicting statement, most of us turn to electric reels to make the day easier and faster and then you want to fanny about with ladders to make the day harder?

Stoots

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2020, 09:41:24 am »

Thanks.

Thats a clabber reel which i already have and everyone on heres give me a beating say they no good for diy electric.  Its the clover reel i need not clabber.  Thanks

I wouldn't use a clover either. I did for a couple of years but they are not the smoothest of reels and tend to move side to side throwing the chain off.

I now use a pure freedom reel for my d. I. Y Conversion, its much better, smooth as silk.

dazmond

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2020, 01:25:37 pm »

some people like fannying around with DIY stuff...fair play but i dont......when you ve been cleaning windows for 27 years(17 trad/10 wfp)then its better(IMO) to just go out and buy the best purpose built equipment on the market rather than a botch it job made by myself that constantly needs fixing/tweaking/etc.....then i can just concentrate on cleaning as fast and efficiently as possible and other aspects of my business... :)

nathankaye

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2020, 02:41:37 pm »

some people like fannying around with DIY stuff...fair play but i dont......when you ve been cleaning windows for 27 years(17 trad/10 wfp)then its better(IMO) to just go out and buy the best purpose built equipment on the market rather than a botch it job made by myself that constantly needs fixing/tweaking/etc.....then i can just concentrate on cleaning as fast and efficiently as possible and other aspects of my business... :)

Understandable, if a person hasnt got any DIY skills what so ever, then I can understand them wanting to exchange with their money for one. 
However, DIY ones can be botched together and do the job well and then you have the opposite end where a DIY one looks the business. It all depends on your skills and a tools you have to build one
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2020, 04:30:37 pm »

Understandable, if a person hasnt got any DIY skills what so ever, then I can understand them wanting to exchange with their money for one. 
However, DIY ones can be botched together and do the job well and then you have the opposite end where a DIY one looks the business. It all depends on your skills and a tools you have to build one

I'd rather go back to trad with an old car than have your van DIY set up with carpet tiles in the back nathan....... ;D

nathankaye

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2020, 05:36:45 pm »
You appear to be quite vain in your old comfy years daz!
Absolutely no leaks and all neat n tidy. Whats not to like.  In addition, from first glance you cant even tell its an electric reel as well.   No clutter and I absolutely know how everything works in the back of the van, no suprises for me lol.....oh, and the chains come off once in over two years
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk