This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jo5hm4n

DIY Electric Reel
« on: December 19, 2019, 09:23:58 pm »
I have a Clabber Metal Hose Reel.  Fantastic piece of kit for the price.  Actually prefer it over the Pure Freedom Metal Hose Reels.

Anyway, i'm going to do a DIY Electric reel, i have bought all the parts needed to fit over the Xmas break.  Just wanted to know if anybody on here has already done a DIY Reel with the Clabber Hose Reel.  If you have please can you send me some pics of your setup.  Mainly interested in seeing have you fitted the sprocket to the disc wheel.

Before anyone comments no i'm not getting the Waterworks Electric Reel or the PureFreedom one.  Prefer a DIY Reel, that way if something breaks on it can just fix it myself.

Cheers Fellas  ;D ;D ;D

Splash & dash

Re: DIY Electric Reel
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 10:42:11 pm »
Claber  reels are very good but there major weakness is the plastic centre spindle they break very easily   

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 07:06:31 am »
I have a Clabber Metal Hose Reel.  Fantastic piece of kit for the price.  Actually prefer it over the Pure Freedom Metal Hose Reels.

Anyway, i'm going to do a DIY Electric reel, i have bought all the parts needed to fit over the Xmas break.  Just wanted to know if anybody on here has already done a DIY Reel with the Clabber Hose Reel.  If you have please can you send me some pics of your setup.  Mainly interested in seeing have you fitted the sprocket to the disc wheel.

Before anyone comments no i'm not getting the Waterworks Electric Reel or the PureFreedom one.  Prefer a DIY Reel, that way if something breaks on it can just fix it myself.

Cheers Fellas  ;D ;D ;D

i dont think a claber reel is suitable for converting into an electric reel....id use the pure freedom one.....
price higher/work harder!

jo5hm4n

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 02:00:19 pm »
Ive got 3 pure freedom reels and 2 clabber reels but i genuinely prefer clabber reels.  Used pure freedom for 3 years clabber reels less than a year.  Fook it ill try to DIY the clabber one and see how it goes!!

Spotfree

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 02:27:02 pm »
Josh, I put 2 in 2 years ago and they still work perfectly.

Don't waste your time trying to electrify the claber, you'll have nothing but a hassle and I doubt it'll work out well in the end...I could be wrong...

I bought 2 new clover reels from wintecs ( best price I could find at the time), it was well worth it, these builds can be tricky as I found out as I had to re-place the spindles, twice after threading them.

The hardest part was getting the sprocket aligned to run straight aside the reel, also having room for the chain to go between frame to the motor.

Have you checked all the parts are compatible? as the teeth have can have different spacing to the sprocket, and the motor can have different teeth spacings too (mine were all 25h I think) I also had to go to the motorbike shop to get them to link the chains at the correct length as I didn't have the tool.

Also, consider safety when installing, the chain and motor placement need to be hidden IMO, especially as you employ mate.(Poo happens)

Have a look on youtube at my install for some ideas, search PNSwindow cleaning van set up, they'll two, look at the newest one (2 yrs old now). It's all been solid and reliable.

Spotfree

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 02:29:14 pm »
I also upgraded the battery too, its now 150 ah and run 2 pumps and 2 reels no problem for 3 days. Tayna in Abergele do very good prices.

mufcglen

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 05:42:24 pm »
If you like maintaining your own why not try and pick up some of the original powerup add on’s that fit the clover reel, I had mine since they first came out before powerup hd and I’ve fitted a couple of HD’s for a mate and just didn’t like them so always stuck with these, much better than the cleaner reels in my opinion.

dennis chalk

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 06:36:12 am »
Have you thought about using a drill. Far less hassle to use and maintain.

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 08:17:01 am »
Have you thought about using a drill. Far less hassle to use and maintain.

Nice. I would worry about your Dewalt drill working with the back doors open though.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

P @ F

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 10:04:43 am »
That’s why I’m a black and decker user , nobody nicks them  :D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 01:35:06 pm »
That’s why I’m a black and decker user , nobody nicks them  :D
;D ;D ;D
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Stoots

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 02:23:55 pm »
I've seen loads of claber reels done on you tube.

I'm going to do my pure freedom reel at Christmas.

The drill idea is a simpler solution, no chains to come off etc I just couldn't live with it like that looks too ghetto.

nathankaye

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 02:32:19 pm »
The pure freedom ones are easy to upgrade to a diy electric one.   Provided you set the chain taught, its hard for it to come off.  My chain has come off twice in the years that I have had it and this was due to the hose slipping off and knocking the chain.  So down to user error.   Apart from that, it runs very smoothly
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 08:42:54 pm »

The drill idea is a simpler solution, no chains to come off etc I just couldn't live with it like that looks too ghetto.

Who cares what it looks like if it works and is safe?
It's a game of three halves!

Stoots

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 09:19:52 pm »

Who cares what it looks like if it works and is safe?

Me.

a900

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 11:55:28 am »
Ugraded a claber reel to electric in the past. Been a while now and can’t remember why I stopped using it. Think to use the motor and chain on the permanent mounted metal reel a few years back.

The claber was on a sled and the motor mounted to that. So the whole electric reel could be taken out the van if it made a job easier.   Worked fine. I used a decent size sprocket with a large centre hole so it didn’t interfere with the centre spindle of the reel. And mounted the sprocket to the side of the reel with 6 or 8Mm rod and lock nuts as spacers. It just needs decent washers to not pull the thin metal of the reel apart

Will see if I can find photos. If done right I would think it would last a while but be prepared to rebuild it every couple of years. As it will eventually shred the side of the reel and twist it.

jo5hm4n

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2019, 01:23:04 pm »
Josh, I put 2 in 2 years ago and they still work perfectly.

Don't waste your time trying to electrify the claber, you'll have nothing but a hassle and I doubt it'll work out well in the end...I could be wrong...

I bought 2 new clover reels from wintecs ( best price I could find at the time), it was well worth it, these builds can be tricky as I found out as I had to re-place the spindles, twice after threading them.

The hardest part was getting the sprocket aligned to run straight aside the reel, also having room for the chain to go between frame to the motor.

Have you checked all the parts are compatible? as the teeth have can have different spacing to the sprocket, and the motor can have different teeth spacings too (mine were all 25h I think) I also had to go to the motorbike shop to get them to link the chains at the correct length as I didn't have the tool.

Also, consider safety when installing, the chain and motor placement need to be hidden IMO, especially as you employ mate.(Poo happens)

Have a look on youtube at my install for some ideas, search PNSwindow cleaning van set up, they'll two, look at the newest one (2 yrs old now). It's all been solid and reliable.

Hi Paul thanks for the advice mate.  I think best thing would be for us to meet up some for a chinwag!  You can show me your setup, we definitely need to do it, after me saying last year and it never happened!

jo5hm4n

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2019, 01:23:43 pm »

Can you send me the links to the claber reels on youtube?  I've looked for ages but cant find any videos done with clabber reels.  Thanks

jo5hm4n

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 01:25:22 pm »
Ugraded a claber reel to electric in the past. Been a while now and can’t remember why I stopped using it. Think to use the motor and chain on the permanent mounted metal reel a few years back.

The claber was on a sled and the motor mounted to that. So the whole electric reel could be taken out the van if it made a job easier.   Worked fine. I used a decent size sprocket with a large centre hole so it didn’t interfere with the centre spindle of the reel. And mounted the sprocket to the side of the reel with 6 or 8Mm rod and lock nuts as spacers. It just needs decent washers to not pull the thin metal of the reel apart

Will see if I can find photos. If done right I would think it would last a while but be prepared to rebuild it every couple of years. As it will eventually shred the side of the reel and twist it.

This sounds great.  If you can find any pictures of your setup please can you send them to me @info@quantumshine.co.uk

Even if it just lasts for 1 year i will happy with that too be honest.

Stephen burton

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 02:23:12 pm »
Bought this on Black Friday £420 all in, used it for 2 days and it’s the best thing I have bought worth every penny sold my old reel for £75 so for the sake of two days profit just buy one of these