This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve H

tarmac driveway
« on: November 16, 2019, 03:15:13 pm »
Hi Guys,
I have a customer who wants a tarmac driveway cleaning. Sounds simple, but as i haven't done a tarmac driveway before just wanted to ask what i needed to look out for.
The tarmac is pretty stable ie not chunks of it coming up all over the place. It  does have moss on it in parts so wondered if you guys would simply pressure wash it off or treat it with a chemical first then pressure wash it off.
I have a decent flat surface cleaner ( Honda petrol engine pressure washer - so plenty of power) so thought that might be best to use that, rather than blasting it with a lance, which might bring some of the tarmac up?
Anyone done these before or best to leave alone in terms of pressure washing it?
Any ideas much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Steve
If you reach for the stars and only reach the moon, you will have acheived more than you thought you could.

Smudger

Re: tarmac driveway
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 03:37:01 pm »
FSC - all the way for this work with a 15 degree nozzle for the edges

there are several types of tarmac/ashpalt so each is tackled in slightly different ways - the most common is rolled with chipping spread on the top/rolled in, if this is the case clean it with FSC then treat with hypo, give it 1/2 hr and rinse down

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 06:12:04 pm »
FSC - all the way for this work with a 15 degree nozzle for the edges

there are several types of tarmac/ashpalt so each is tackled in slightly different ways - the most common is rolled with chipping spread on the top/rolled in, if this is the case clean it with FSC then treat with hypo, give it 1/2 hr and rinse down

Darran

Serious question Darran why do you apply hypo after the clean ? We always do it before leave it dwell for 30 -40 muinits whilst setting up washer then wash and rinse down , by applying it after then rinsing must take longer ????

Jonny Swirljet

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 06:22:05 pm »
Don't forget to turn the pressure down very low to start with or it will be like ploughing a field with a FSC

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 09:22:09 pm »
I used to apply before but it doesn't have the same effect - hypo can't cut through dirt it doesn't aid cleaning thick moss is still there - different for render cleaning where its algae only
But your gonna have to pressure wash every part of a mossy drive so use the tool best for it - the pressure washer then a rinse over with hypo ensures everything including black spot is killed off

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Steve H

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 06:51:00 pm »
Thanks Guys for the advice, much appreciated.  Its pretty much what i thought with the method for the pressure washer, so thanks for that.
Just wanted to ask re: Hypo, haven't used it before, so just wanted to ask,
- is it pretty toxic stuff ie to animals or garden.
- how to apply it, also apply it straight out of the tub or watered down.
- where  to buy it from.
Thanks guys
If you reach for the stars and only reach the moon, you will have acheived more than you thought you could.

Paul79

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 08:30:46 pm »
Funny you asked this, I have my first tarmac driveway job booked in the morning and for the first time was planning to bring out the fsc. Every job I've been using the turbo nozzle since I bought it, I feel the fsc was a waste of money and van space (I only have a small van) but tomorrow it may prove it's worth!

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 11:31:33 pm »
No tool is ever worthless (unless broken) they all have there place some are used more than others

Hypo. -

To start with just use a watering can - if using regularly use a pump sprayer ik9 are chemical resistant
Toxic - yes if you drink it !  - if you spill it neat it will kill grass and I always advise customer to keep pets inside until the surface is dry
(harsher chemicals are used in kennels)
Swimming pool suppliers will be your best bet - although others can supply it

Darran

Paul79

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 12:43:27 pm »
Is there a reason to put chemicals down first or even afterwards? I finished the job today just using a turbo nozzle (got the fsc out but didn't end up using it), very happy customer and tarmac driveway cleaned without using chemicals. I will go out my way to avoid using them even if it means the job takes longer.

If it's just a driveway with some moss build up even a cheap pressure washer bought from B&M could probably clean it off unless I'm missing something with the chemical use  ???

Splash & dash

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 02:50:23 pm »
Is there a reason to put chemicals down first or even afterwards? I finished the job today just using a turbo nozzle (got the fsc out but didn't end up using it), very happy customer and tarmac driveway cleaned without using chemicals. I will go out my way to avoid using them even if it means the job takes longer.

If it's just a driveway with some moss build up even a cheap pressure washer bought from B&M could probably clean it off unless I'm missing something with the chemical use  ???

Turbo nozzle on tarmac is not a good idear it will easily cause damage , also the drive might look ok when it’s wet but once dry quite often it will look Stripy where bits have been missed a face is usually the tool of choose with low pressure on tarmac , ime not criticising what you have done just saying what I have experienced my self over the years . The use of hypo on this type of clean kills the spores and root systems , I thought doing that it will re grow much faster as the spores are left behind , it’s a bit like cutting your grass once it had been cut it will grow faster .

SB Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 06:36:54 pm »
I would never use a Turbo nozzle on tarmac,  my machine would rip it to pieces, FSC all the way, I take it you used a low powered machine for that?

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 06:40:10 pm »
As above - pop back in a day or 2 and look at the result when dry,  you are lucky on this one there is no organic  growth just a lot of dusty dirt - had it have been mossy I'd advise you to return in six to 8 weeks and look at th regrowth.

you may think not using chemicals is the way forward but for long standing, consistently good results they are required , the rest of us don't JUST decide to use them for the fun of it (we could do without the time to apply and the cost to buy)

go back to some of your work and see if they re still clean or whether they are sprouting green shoots everywhere

Darran

Paul79

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 07:41:41 pm »
Yes my machine is low powered compared to you guys from what I've been reading you are all at or around the 21lpm plus mark. I am 12lpm and I am just starting out on very low budget so I'm getting away with using the customers taps and having just the right amount of power to clean. I know I need to upscale and get a better machine which I will do once funds permit so I guess the turbo nozzle I used on that job is half the power of what you guys would use.

I understand a little more now that you use this chemical stuff to stop regrowth of algae, moss, weeds etc. I guess each job is different. This tarmac driveway seems recently new just the extension they had built the builder mess was all over it so just needed it cleaning off.

Now that you mention that Darran I'm scared to go back and look lol although to be fair my jobs was to clean the driveways, decking, patios etc not treat them to prevent nature coming back. I go there to clean not treat or seal or anything like that.

Do you just do the Hypo chem stuff everytime and charge the customer more for the job? I still don't understand the need for chemicals. If someone asks me to come clean there driveway I go there clean it, not treat it, put chemicals on it, seal it or anything else (unless paved brick then I will resand of course).

Is it just an extra you do for more profit? Sorry for all the questions and also for hijacking Steve's post I'm still relatively new to pressure washing but eager to learn.

Splash & dash

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 08:04:01 pm »
You don t have to use hypo , but it does  kill and slow down algi re growth which is why most have it cleaned in the first place especially on decking it goes slimey washing on its own won’t get rid of the algi/ bacteria it needs killing , we don’t charge extra for this it’s all part of the service , a 20 ltr drum of hypo only costs £12 and depending what you are cleaning it’s diluted 4-1 so goes quite a long way , it basically kills 99% of germs, bacteria and organic growth .

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 08:34:01 pm »
yes - your being paid to clean but surely for your personal satisfaction and providing a quality service you want your drives to look good for the longest time possible ?

a potential customer did not want to pay the £350 for a driveway clean (resending extra) - they had a cheap and cheerful quote and see the job was done, looked pretty good it was clean - the drive was not re-sanded but hey thats the customers choice but 2 weeks later you could see the tinge of green across the drive and all the weeds sprouting up in the gaps  -  to me thats a waste of money and a waste of time by the contractor and if it had been my drive id not use OR recommend them again

Darran