This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

P @ F

Re: Luck has possibly ran dry
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 06:51:18 pm »
I would be a bit against putting that kind of money into the van, don’t forget that even if you do go ahead it might just bring on the next problem

Take my van for example , only 3 year old ,  I paid £800 deposit then £120 a month for 4 years , which is nothing really .
Just made the last payment yesterday , I have done a few bits and bobs on it but all either wear and tear or known faults !

Then take my Touran , went bang yesterday , I could get another engine for £400 and fit it myself .
Why don’t I, because I would want to do the cam belt and water pump at the same time , could then find the engine isn’t that good , the car is 15 and it will become a money pit now !

Hence why I am chucking 4K at a newer model diesel in the morning  :'( :'( :'(
It is nice though !
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

KS Cleaning

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2019, 08:18:50 pm »
Its the same garage which ive used for a very long time Matt, the same one that did the exhaust n drained the oil because of that silly mistake.

However ive hit a crossroads now withbthe van and the garage.
Where the leak is from, is where the gasket normally sits, its some type of sealant and about an inch in length is missing. So it needs to be stripped n cleaned to be repaired. With doing this they might as well do the water pump, cam belt etc etc at the same time. Fair enough I thought and then the engine should be good till it dies. Perhaps lasting another 2 yrs or so, which suits my original plans.   
However they are talking the likes of 9 hrs labour, just short of £600 and reading from various forums im taking this as being over the tops.  That it should come around 5hrs or less.  It sounds like they want to  charge labour as in seperate independent jobs ie labour for a water pump replacement on top of labour for a cam belt replace.  So im having doubts about the garage now as well

Better biting the bullet and putting the 600 quid towards a newer van Nathan.

zesty

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2019, 08:41:18 pm »
Yeah it’s time to get a new van Nathan, it might be a bit of a hit for you, but long term it’s gotta be the best idea.

Don Kee

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2019, 09:03:30 pm »
Sounds like a keeper to me Nath!

I’d keep the van, it sounds like it’ll last for years yet!!!

Just remember that vans always run better when there’s really thick, black smoke coming out of the exhaust!

nathankaye

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2019, 09:58:54 pm »
The kicker is that last month i spent 6k on a new family qashqai n-tec
So at the mo a new van is out the question and a cheaper van will come with its own set of problems n costs.
Whereas fixing the sealed gasket n getting these additional things done at the same time might buy me another couple of years.  Theres no damaged done by the runaway and by all accounts the engine is sound apart from that but that might be me being wishful
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

P @ F

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2019, 01:21:12 am »
This bit that’s missing you called sealant , do you mean it’s from where the bottom end meets the oil sump ?
If so then you don’t have to actually have the cam belt and water pump done tbh , it won’t cost any more to have the 2 jobs done separately !

If this is the case I would be inclined to have the sump seal re done and see if it fixes the leak , then if happy either do the cam or take my chances on getting to 200k !

In which time you could line up a plan for a newer van

dazmond

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2019, 08:31:34 am »
I would be a bit against putting that kind of money into the van, don’t forget that even if you do go ahead it might just bring on the next problem

Take my van for example , only 3 year old ,  I paid £800 deposit then £120 a month for 4 years , which is nothing really .
Just made the last payment yesterday , I have done a few bits and bobs on it but all either wear and tear or known faults !

Then take my Touran , went bang yesterday , I could get another engine for £400 and fit it myself .
Why don’t I, because I would want to do the cam belt and water pump at the same time , could then find the engine isn’t that good , the car is 15 and it will become a money pit now !

Hence why I am chucking 4K at a newer model diesel in the morning  :'( :'( :'(
It is nice though !

I dont know why you mess about with older vehicles anymore....you can lease a brand new one for a few hundred a month....mine costs me just under £300 a month....no car tax,no mots,no breakdowns,no parts needing replacing....just a service when the car tells me,hand it back after 3 years and get another brand new one....I might have a bill of a few hundred at the end of the lease for a few scratches,that's it.....
For one good days work a month I get a hassle free nice car to drive around in......all I have to do is fill it up with fuel and top up the screenwash......
price higher/work harder!

P @ F

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2019, 08:57:43 am »
I just don’t like lease Daz , I have always seen it as dead money with nothing owned at the end !

For the £300 a month you pay to borrow a brand new car for 3 years I could finance a 3 year old car and a 3 year old van over 3 years and own them both at the end !

a900

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2019, 08:58:19 am »
I’m leaning toward some permanent damage has been done to the engine.

Burning its own oil it presumably ran above its designed RPMs? And presumably for a few mins?
What stopped it? running out of oil to burn? If so it wouldn’t have had enough to lubricate the already over stressed engine parts.

Have you had the engine apart to inspect the shells. Doubt it. So hard to say no damage had been caused? A compression test would go along way to telling you if it’s in good condition atleast as far as piston rings go but is the cost worth it?

Personally I think the money spent on repairing the seal would be better spent on dropping another engine in that comes with say a 30 day warrantee

Dazmond. Don’t think I’ve spent £10800 on my van over the last 3 years anything near will have lost around £1-2000 in depreciation and £700 tax and probably similar money on repairs and MOT. It’s all a gamble with vans. Spent some more and be guaranteed what your going to get. Or spend almost likely a lot less with the chance of spending something similar if something does go wrong big time 

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2019, 12:24:37 pm »
I just don’t like lease Daz , I have always seen it as dead money with nothing owned at the end !

For the £300 a month you pay to borrow a brand new car for 3 years I could finance a 3 year old car and a 3 year old van over 3 years and own them both at the end !

each to their own.......ive had old cars and vans all my driving life (up until the last few years)..im not arsed about the money or owning the car after 3 years,its easily affordable for me these days......its the convenience and hassle free motoring thats appealing to me....
price higher/work harder!

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2019, 02:19:36 pm »
Just over 5 years ago I bought a 2010 Citroen dispatch 1.6 hdi for £3750 NO vat. I had the egr blanked off and anti-roll bar poly bushed- couple of hundred quid all in. It's never let me down and only cost normal servicing/wear and tear. It's still worth 2.7 to 3k all day long.  It's cost me less than a grand for over 5 years trouble free business use. Beat that! ;D
Comfortably Numb!

davids3511

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2019, 09:53:55 am »

Just remember that vans always run better when there’s really thick, black smoke coming out of the exhaust!
Like an afterburner ? Will it go faster now?

nathankaye

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2019, 05:15:07 pm »
So fixed glow plugs and its a oil leak from the camshaft housing.

Another correction is the milleage, its 147k not 177k so need to book in for a fix and do the cambelt n pump at the same time. Just under a grand by 36p haha, why bother and not just say mr kaye its gonna cost a grand min to fix your van.

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dd

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2019, 05:29:17 pm »
I think the price you are being quoted is on the high side. I would get a quote elsewhere first, or even do an online search. You could probably save a few hundred.

I am assuming the oil leak is an easy fix if you change the cambelt at the same time?

nathankaye

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2019, 05:39:39 pm »
I think the price you are being quoted is on the high side. I would get a quote elsewhere first, or even do an online search. You could probably save a few hundred.

I am assuming the oil leak is an easy fix if you change the cambelt at the same time?

Im of the same mind, i think they are charging labour hours as if they were done seperately rather than tackling all jobs at the same time whilst its apart.
I am currently looking at other garages to get some prices so as to compare
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2019, 05:57:34 pm »
I would seriously consider looking at buying a new van Nath,

Even if you finance one over 4 years with a small deposit.

Spending £1000 fixing it with no real gaurentee it’ll run well for years to come...

Put that £1k towards a 5k van mate. Plenty of transit connects in great Nick at that price.

nathankaye

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2019, 04:14:01 pm »

So glow plugs were replaced without any hiccups and i finally got my van back late yesterday afternoon.  Still with small leak until i decide what to do but i needed to get back to work.
Then this morning I woke to this

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2019, 04:23:41 pm »
So glow plugs were replaced without any hiccups and i finally got my van back late yesterday afternoon.  Still with small leak until i decide what to do but i needed to get back to work.
Then this morning I woke to this

Is there supposed to be a picture attached mate?

Don’t worry pic is now there.

Not having much joy at the mo are you Nathan!

It looks like a tired van, get the tyre changed, then sell it, pit money into a newer van mate, honestly, that seems like the right way to go.

Doesn’t matter even if you take a loan out over 5 years at 3% interest, the monthly payments will be low, and you’ll have a much better van that will get you out working.

Of course, there is always risk, but on the whole, a newer van is going to be a better option long term...

Stoots

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2019, 05:43:55 pm »
If you cant start your van then move it into a sunny spot.

Only you Nathan could try that,  haha  ;D

Don Kee

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2019, 06:59:35 pm »

Like an afterburner ? Will it go faster now?

Depends....does it have go faster stripes??