This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jen133

scratching of windows with reach n wash?
« on: October 18, 2019, 09:40:52 pm »
Hi, has anyone ever issues with water fed pole causing scratches to window during clean.  Customer suggesting scratches to his patio may have been caused by grit in the brush.  In the 10 years of using this product I have never had any issues  or received complaints of this nature and I believe it is unlikely to have been caused in this manner.  Your thoughts would be welcomed.

RPCCS

Re: scratching of windows with reach n wash?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 10:01:24 pm »
Hi Eric welcome to Ciu👍
Cheers Rich

RPCCS

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 10:07:44 pm »
As discussed in phone call, smells very much of rodent if you ask me, read this thread.

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=216481.0
Cheers Rich

RPCCS

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 05:12:11 pm »
In the 11 years I have been using the reach system, I have never come across it. Definitely with trad gear, but not with the brush.
Cheers Rich

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 07:57:53 pm »
we get people saying we've scratched their widows sometimes. had 2 last week, which is weird. i think we've had 5 people contact us about it over 9 years of working.

i think they notice scratches on their windows due to the autumn sun being low. it shows everything if they are looking.

WFP is not going to scratch windows unless there is concrete or mortar, particles left from the glass fabrication process on the windows.

I've tried to scratch my own windows just to ease my window to see if we could do it ourselves. i rubbed the brush in grit, turned the water flow off, and pressed as hard as i could on the window. absolutely nothing.

i had one of friday and i took the brush into his home to show him.

its not your fault.
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

SB Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 08:58:15 pm »
I once cleaned a old farmhouse, windows were minging hadnt been cleaned in probably 5 years or more, did the clean and she was over the moon, I said I always do a 24hr guarantee with each clean..4 days after she rings me up saying I scratched all.her windows and she said she had done some research on wfp and it was definitely that which caused them she was going mental down the phone at me so I offered to go back out there and show her me cleaning a couple of  windows I said if it scratches them I would replace all windows on the house, she refused the offer and said she never wanted to see me or that wfp system again ;D

I honestly think the scratches were there already and as I cleaned all the crap off her minging windows they just showed up and it was her way of cancelling as she just wanted a one off she  originally agreed to a 6wk clean once I had cleaned them, she was as mad as a box of frogs too ;D

That's the only complaint I've ever had in 10 years, moral of the story wfp doesn't scratch windows imo ;)

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 09:06:39 pm »
we get people saying we've scratched their widows sometimes. had 2 last week, which is weird. i think we've had 5 people contact us about it over 9 years of working.

i think they notice scratches on their windows due to the autumn sun being low. it shows everything if they are looking.

WFP is not going to scratch windows unless there is concrete or mortar, particles left from the glass fabrication process on the windows.

I've tried to scratch my own windows just to ease my window to see if we could do it ourselves. i rubbed the brush in grit, turned the water flow off, and pressed as hard as i could on the window. absolutely nothing.

i had one of friday and i took the brush into his home to show him.

its not your fault.

Agree. We have a customer who has had the painters in repainting the outside of his house. We have done 3 cleans since the painters left. This last time I noticed 3 deep scratches on the glass at  the top not completely vertical. This is a very big glass pane with 3 openers above it.
When I clean that window I run my brush strokes horizontally at that point as it just below the openers that we do first. Now these scratches weren't there the last twice we cleaned. I would have seen them as they stood out a mile this time. It wasn't the painters so the only other thing it could be is the dogs. They have 2 Newfoundlands.  Then it could also have been caused by something blowing over.  I discussed this with my son and decided that we weren't going to raise the issue.

In 15 years of wfp I have never heard the noise of glass being scratched whilst we have been cleaning. The only time I did scratch glass was when I removed some bird strike with the edge of my brush.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Bungle

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 11:03:16 pm »
I once cleaned a old farmhouse, windows were minging hadnt been cleaned in probably 5 years or more, did the clean and she was over the moon, I said I always do a 24hr guarantee with each clean..4 days after she rings me up saying I scratched all.her windows and she said she had done some research on wfp and it was definitely that which caused them she was going mental down the phone at me so I offered to go back out there and show her me cleaning a couple of  windows I said if it scratches them I would replace all windows on the house, she refused the offer and said she never wanted to see me or that wfp system again ;D

I honestly think the scratches were there already and as I cleaned all the crap off her minging windows they just showed up and it was her way of cancelling as she just wanted a one off she  originally agreed to a 6wk clean once I had cleaned them, she was as mad as a box of frogs too ;D

That's the only complaint I've ever had in 10 years, moral of the story wfp doesn't scratch windows imo ;)

Sounds like a daft bint I sacked off who lives on the Malvern Rd. Her name isn't Jane by any chance?
We look at them, they look through them.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 09:20:57 am »

Sounds like a daft bint I sacked off who lives on the Malvern Rd. Her name isn't Jane by any chance?
No Steve

This one was in Wichenford, bloody loon she was mate ;D

Johnny B

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 12:42:28 pm »
In the 11 years I have been using the reach system, I have never come across it. Definitely with trad gear, but not with the brush.

Even with trad, although it's possible you still have to be pretty heavy handed. I'm still trad and you'd be surprised at the sort of scratches I come across on glass. Some look like they were caused by a fork!

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Slash

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 05:48:48 pm »
Sorry to burst the bubble but it can scratch windows if grit is within the brush head.
Be realistic people,its not rocket science.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 09:42:55 am »
Sorry to burst the bubble but it can scratch windows if grit is within the brush head.
Be realistic people,its not rocket science.

hey slash,

i tried to do this myself. i put by brush head in grit, in mud, in gravel, and cleaned my glass with the various stuff in the bristles. i then turned the water flow off and did the same again. i was replacing the windows so i thought i needed to see what damage i could do. i literally found it impossible to make any scratches on my own glass, even using excessive force to the point where i was holding the brush head and scraping it up and down the window!!

of course ANYTHING is possible. weird unexpected things happen every day in the world. but we have to look at things in the balance of probabilities.

if the scratch marks match how my staff clean windows (i.e. horizontal or verticle patterns) we will replace the glass.

but if it doesn't not look like we have done it, and we know how unlikely it is that we have done it with the tools we use, then we won't.

interestingly i just had bi fold doors fitted at home yesterday and there are scratch marks in them, and they're brand new and not cheap ones. the fitter said the standard for replacement glass was if you can see the scratch from 6 feet away. if you could not the manufacturer say it is acceptable standard and won't replace them. that is brand new glass. so perfect scratch free glass is not what you are buying from suppliers.
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

nathankaye

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 11:46:13 am »
A good while ago, I had the same where a client accused me of scratching their glass on bi fold doors.  No other windows were scratched and it was a large 4 bed semi. However he was laying a patio and his garden looked like a builders site.

I contacted my insurance company who basically told me they have no choice but to take their word over mine and simply pay up.
I did a video on my youtube channel where I tried to scratch the life out of my van rear windows and no joy, I could not scratch the glass.

With some advice from this forum, i messaged the customer back explaining about the low sun and his garden situation and that I can not see how all the other windows are scratch free apart from where he was working and that I would fight any claims.    So far I have not heard back and its been over a year or two now
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 12:01:37 pm »
Sills and frames yes glass no.

I throw my pole around, touches the ground, walls and all sorts and it never holds any grit.

They just dont, at least the extreme brushes don't probably because they don't have many bristles

Perhaps a big heavy flocked one might with dense bristles but who uses such a brick

Slash

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 05:52:18 pm »
Its happened to me a few times,been WFP  for 20 years,it will probably happen again but I've learned not to put brush face down on the ground,against walls etc.
It does happen  especially on modern glass as its softer,I keep well clear of builders cleans  etc.  and do agree that  new glass can have scratches and are not perfect.

windowswashed

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 07:49:31 pm »
The only way you can scratch the glass is not using enough water while scrubbing. I tried to scratch some spare glass on purpose with many variations of brush, impossible even putting sand , grit, mud, everything on the glass.

windowswashed

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 07:54:19 pm »
Screws that hold the gooseneck to the brush stock being too long and poking through to the bristles could scratch the glass. So can can metal rinse bars when Tucker came out with them in metal version originally. Pressing hard with bronze wool or abrasive pads that have dirt trapped in them can also scratch the glass.